Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Oct 2012 (Friday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D "ramdomly" won't fire

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 26, 2012 21:13 |  #16

d.tek wrote in post #15172269 (external link)
I had this issue with my 50D. I did the isopropyl trick (google it) and it has worked. Eventually the issue resurfaces, but another treatment of the isopropyl trick and it's fine for a while. I do not have the funds to replace the shutter button at this current moment.

A new shutter button is ~$15 IIRC from Ebay...if you have any electronic background, have some ESD equipment(atleast an ESD work mat and wrist strap) you could replace it for free(or for just the cost of the part!)

If not, there are many people who will fix it for you...me included.. ;)

Just saying, there ARE other options than the ~$200-250 fee from Canon..or just dripping alcohol into the shutter button in the hopes it will clean the contacts and "fix"(temporarily, or if at all)...not saying this isnt a good thing to try...or that it doesnt work. Just saying I would fix it properly because it would only cost me ~$15...

BTW, to the OP..
I dont think the shutter button is your issue...it sounds to me like the safety switch function or other user error(it happens! :) ), but if not, the shutter button is easily the next possible cause..

Good luck!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 26, 2012 22:43 |  #17

Not sure if it is what you are dealing with, but, the on-board flash can stop the camera from shooting if it gets too hot. This can happen if you are using it for flash or as a master for other off camera flashes. If this happens the LCD will flash BUSY until it cools down to a safe temperature. Annoying, but not as annoying as a flash that will burn it self up.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

Buchinger
THREAD ­ STARTER
467 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 26, 2012 23:27 |  #18

To clarify some questions. THIS time I was in manual mode. I don't use the little running man or face :). I wasn't rapid firing as I was in single shot mode at the time. When I say it works fine for a few shots, I mean. I have been using the camera all along, with no major setting, environment or exposure changes. Same subject, same location, same camera settings etc. last time it happened, (later on after thinking) I chalked it up to a slow sd card and me not noticing the record lamp. This time I had the class 10 Sandisk ultra extreme and was not machine gunning. I even paused before I did anything. Attempted 5 more times to take a picture before surrendering and cycling the power.

It ACTS exactly like the "dont shoot until im focused" feature (which I've experienced on a subject that was too close for instance) but the camera beeped, and focus light flashed indicating focus lock. It was a well lit face during the day item. This particular time I did have my pixel king tx on camera, however, last time I had no flash.

Since I'm always in the middle of something important when it happens I never think of trouble shooting ideas. Next time I will switch to manual focus on the lens and see what happens. I don't THINK it's a lens communication issue, as I've had those before and actually gotten a message on the LCD.

I also don't think it's the shutter button as its far to infrequent for a failing switch, and cycling the power should have no effect on a mechanical issue. In the most recent incident I completely released and depressed the shutter button several times. I'm leaning more toward the camera brain is not telling the shutter that focus is locked and its okay to fire - and whatever glitch appeared for whatever reason, gets wiped with the power cycle. I literally just turn it off, wait a second or two and fire it back up.

Maybe it's built into the software by canon after x number of shutter actuations to start doing this as a service revenue guarantee / upgrade motivation to sell more cameras!

d.tek
297 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 26, 2012 23:32 |  #19

HyperCams wrote in post #15173984 (external link)
A new shutter button is ~$15 IIRC from Ebay...if you have any electronic background, have some ESD equipment(atleast an ESD work mat and wrist strap) you could replace it for free(or for just the cost of the part!)

If not, there are many people who will fix it for you...me included.. ;)

Just saying, there ARE other options than the ~$200-250 fee from Canon..or just dripping alcohol into the shutter button in the hopes it will clean the contacts and "fix"(temporarily, or if at all)...not saying this isnt a good thing to try...or that it doesnt work. Just saying I would fix it properly because it would only cost me ~$15...

BTW, to the OP..
I dont think the shutter button is your issue...it sounds to me like the safety switch function or other user error(it happens! :) ), but if not, the shutter button is easily the next possible cause..

Good luck!

Haha! Yeah, definitely a scary idea pouring alcohol down a battery compartment. But hey, I figured as long as it evaporates, it *should* be okay. And it was.

As far as replacing the shutter button goes, i could pour alcohol directly into the mirror and have better luck than trying to take this thing apart. I watched a video of someone doing a shutter button replacement and it damn near gave me a panic attack.

Anyways, just sharing my experiences and what i did. I'm definitely not suggesting you do what I did, but, if you don't have the money or technical know-how it *may* solve your problem.

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D "ramdomly" won't fire
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.