Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Oct 2012 (Friday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS film body ? Help.

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 26, 2012 11:00 |  #1

I want to buy a film body so that I can compare the color profile of some popular films to digital. I want to use the same Canon lenses I already have so EOS film bodies are natural choices

What Canon film body do you suggest ? I don't want to spend too much so do you think EOS 620 a good choice ? or others ?

What difference should I expect in image quality ? between like Kodak Portra film and my 5dmkii using the same lenses ?

Thanks.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,231 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 26, 2012 11:18 |  #2

Any EOS620 is going to be a very physically old body. You're likely to run into problems with drying lubrication, gooey/gummy foam light seals, and other issues of extreme age. It's also got the most ancient design of autofocus.

If I were you, I'd look for the newest possible Elan (lower end) or 3-series (upper end).

Quality wise, a modern digital camera surpasses 35mm color film easily.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 26, 2012 11:26 |  #3

Film camera image quality is down to the film and the lenses, has nothing to do with the camera itself (unless there's something wrong with it, such as a light leak or an inaccurate shutter or metering system).

The last, top of the line film camera model was the EOS-1V. It's the film equivalent of the 1D series digitals. FIrst introduced in 2000, it was also offered as a 1V HS or High Speed, with a PB-E2 Power Booster added, that gave up to 10 frames per second shooting (when the rechargeable nicad batteries were used... 8 fps with alkaline batteries). The 1V was a very expensive camera in it's day, but can be found for relatively low prices today. Prior to the 1V there were several EOS-1N and EOS-1 models, but some of those get pretty old and/or aren't up to the specs of later models like the EOS-3 or EOS-1V.

Best reasonably affordable film camera... EOS-3. It's one step down from the top of the line, has a wonderful AF system (in 1998 it was the first Canon to get the 45-point system, similar to what was later used in the 1V, 1D series cameras up until the 1DX). The EOS-3 can also be fitted with the PB-E2 Power Booster (which is a lot like a battery grip for a DSLR), giving up to 6 fps with alkaline batteries and up to 8 fps with rechargeable Nicads.

Another model I used a lot was the Elan 7... it's a mid-grade model just below the EOS-3 and especially quiet for an SLR. There were "E" versions with Eye Control, same as on EOS-3... and a slightly improved "N" or "New" version, both with and without EC. (Outside N. America the model was known as EOS 30, 30E, 33 and 33E, if I recall correctly.) There was a battery grip available for the Elan 7 models, too, though it merely held more batteries and uses standard AA alkalines, wasn't a power booster like on the EOS-3 and 1V models.

There were quite a few good film cameras. Those are just the ones I'm most experienced with. There were quite a few Rebel series, too, that can be bought for a song today. They will work with all your lenses (won't work with "crop only" and EF-S lenses... EOS film cameras are "full frame"). I still have a pair of EOS-3s. If you want more info on specific models and to check their approx. age, you an find a lot of good stuff at http://www.canon.com …mera/film/serie​s_eos.html (external link)

One EOS model you will probably want to avoid is the 1X. That's actually an APS film camera (requires special APS film cartridges and shoots the smaller image format).

You will generally want to use as low ISO film as possible, to get the top image quality. Film came in different types (slides, color negs, B&W) and with different color/contrast properties, often was tailored to some extent for specific purposes. The Portra films lend themselves to portraiture... skin tones. Other films are better for landscapes and nature, more saturated films such as Ektachrome 100VS, Fuji Velvia 50 (both of which are slide films). I used slide films up to ISO 200, then any faster film I'd switch to a color print film because the grain was finer. High ISO slide films were always a bit contrasty and "chunky" for my tastes. A less saturated, more faithful color rendition slide film is Fuji Provia. The Fuji Sensia line of consumer grade slide films is similar and pretty good. Kodachrome is defunct, you can't get it processed anymore, AFAIK. It was a neat film though (various ISOs: 25, 64, 100).

Black and white... Back in the day I used a lot of Kodak Tri-X 400, processed it myself. My favorite slower, fine grain B&W film is Fuji Neopan Acros.... it's ISO 100, but rivals the fine grain of ISO 25 and 32 film from years earlier. It's very rich. Today I'd probably use a lot of Ilford XP-2 or the Kodak chromogenic/C-41 process film, simply for the convenience of local, 1 hour processing (rather than set up a darkroom) and it's digital scanning properties. Both are ISO 400.

Kodak and Fuji still offer some good color films, which are more "forgiving" than slide film, typically. I used Kodacolor Gold and Gold Max films a bit.

Slide film is more rigidly processed, but needs to be sent off somewhere for processing, takes about a week. It's generally better/easier to scan into digital files, if you want to do that.

Color print film, most can be processed locally (C41). Pro labs do a pretty well controlled process. 1 hour labs, well at some you get whatever the minimum wage, pimply kid running the machine manages to do between texts to his girlfriend.

If interested in them, B&W films come in two basic types.... silver based and C41. The silver based are useful to process yourself, more difficult to get done by a lab. The C41 use the same process as color print, so can be developed almost anywhere. The C41 are also better for scanning to digital.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

vaflower
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 26, 2012 11:37 |  #4

Hi, I understand most of the camera basics, at least that what I thought. Film very likely won't be my day to day shooting and I have not shoot films for years. I basically just one to shoot 1 or two rolls of every popular films so I can have a color samples of these films. Given some film mimicking software like Alien Exposure selling so well and expensive, I want to work on my post-processing a bit and tweaking the digital images myself.

I wont process and scan films myself, neither.

vaflower
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 26, 2012 11:56 |  #5

How about a Canon Elan II ?

Boss302
53 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2012 16:06 |  #6

vaflower wrote in post #15172132 (external link)
How about a Canon Elan II ?

An Elan II will work just fine.

Alan's excellent post really covered EOS film bodies well. I have an ELAN 7 (sold from 2000-2004) and an EOS 3 (sold from 1999-2007). The thing I love about them is you can use all the latest Canon L and EOS primes and modern speedlight flashes with them.

It is exceptional that you can put the 2012 40mm STM on a 1999 EOS 3 with a 2006 430EX flash and get excellent results and a familiar user interface.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 26, 2012 17:59 |  #7

RIP Kodachrome...

I have an old fart issue with my much loved film bodies. They don't have dioptre/diopter adjustment, so if you need a little help compensating for macular degeneration, as I do, you may need to take this into consideration. Not sure if the later EOS film bodies had any adjustment - my latest is an EOS 50e (Elan II in US I think) which has eye controlled auto-focus and dates from 1996.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 26, 2012 19:16 |  #8

Pick up an ELan IIe and have some fun with the Eye control auto-focus. It's a feature I miss sorely which at the time had some weaknesses that would be easy to deal with now.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,543 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 27, 2012 00:47 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #9

Rebel , cheap and film is better compare to digital in auto mode. IMO.
IQ? Why do you want to compare two different iQ.
Film it is take it or stay with digital crowd...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 27, 2012 01:37 as a reply to  @ post 15174537 |  #10

I have two Canon EOS film cameras. I have them just to take films some day.
1. EOS 5 (EOS A2)
- http://www.canon.com …ang=eu&categ=sr​s&page=eos (external link)
2. EOS30V (EOS ELAN 7NE), this is the last film body
- http://www.canon.com …ang=eu&categ=sr​s&page=eos (external link)

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,622 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 27, 2012 01:41 |  #11

I'm with kfreels, "Pick up an ELan IIe and have some fun with the Eye control auto-focus". Then when you report back you can contribute to the ECF thread as well.

Not sure of your budget but right now there are some seller refurbs on eBay at "Buy Now" = $50 (http://www.ebay.com …meras&hash=item​2a2190741a (external link)). In the actual auction process you can get cheaper, often with a 28-80 lens which was a decent kit lens back then and still useable today.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,249 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 27, 2012 02:13 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #12

I'll be the third vote for ECF...Pick up an Elan IIE, Elan 7NE, or an EOS 3...Each of which have Eye Controled Focus Point Selection, a great feature that film SLRs had in the 90s through early 2000s.

Here is a link to what could be called the official ECF thread:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195887

But be forewarned: This feature is very addictive and is not yet available on DSLRs.

Mark

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 27, 2012 02:24 |  #13

JohnB57 wrote in post #15173473 (external link)
RIP Kodachrome...

I have an old fart issue with my much loved film bodies. They don't have dioptre/diopter adjustment, so if you need a little help compensating for macular degeneration, as I do, you may need to take this into consideration. Not sure if the later EOS film bodies had any adjustment - my latest is an EOS 50e (Elan II in US I think) which has eye controlled auto-focus and dates from 1996.

Kodachrome 25 was the bees knees, back then for landscapers

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,622 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 27, 2012 02:48 |  #14

I do believe the Elan IIe did have a diopter adjustment.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 27, 2012 04:29 |  #15

I'd suggest an Eos-3. I've still got mine and I love it. Over £1000 originally, now good ones are available at around £80 to £100, with the power booster thrown in if you are lucky.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,536 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS film body ? Help.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.