Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 27 Oct 2012 (Saturday) 00:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Go Pro Problems plus other stuff

Heycoop ­ Photography
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 27, 2012 00:41 |  #1

While having the go pro fitted to the race car, it only recorded about 7 - 10 seconds, then would just turn off. In the morning, it recorded about 8 minutes of a 15 minute qualifying session, and just stopped, and for the races, as I said, only 10 or so seconds. Yesterday it was perfect, capturing both practice sessions. Does anyone know what the problem could be/had this happen to them before?

On another note, I'm thinking of upgrading to the GoPro 3 (silver edition). What are the differences between that one and my current one (Go Pro Hero - not HD). Obviously I know that the HD will make a big difference, but what else will I notice?

Body: Canon 450D Gripped
Lenses: Canon 70-200 F4 L, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 1.4x Tele Converter
Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Oct 27, 2012 00:43 |  #2

Is the battery getting old?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 27, 2012 00:46 |  #3

krb wrote in post #15174491 (external link)
Is the battery getting old?

Tried changing batteries, and recharged them overnight, so they should be fine. I have tried with another, non rechargeable set and it still does the same thing.

Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 27, 2012 00:55 |  #4

My first thoughts were battery. I'm not familiar with the original Go Pro, is there any way the battery/batteries are getting jarred causing them to loose connection?

I would think you should notice a significant improvement in quality if you upgraded to a Hero 3 and woul be able to switch it on and off remotely.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 27, 2012 05:53 as a reply to  @ John Sims's post |  #5

Quite possibly a lose part inside on the circuite board. Try recording and shaking it vigerously, see if you can make it turn off. There may also be a cold solder joint inside that has come loose causing problems. Temperature can also cause problems as solder joints expand or contract.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 01, 2012 21:13 |  #6

Been a while since I had one, but maybe the bumps are triggering the stop button. Make sure there's no dirt in that area and that it's working freely.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Bagelsjustbagels
38 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 06, 2012 12:22 |  #7

could be memory card speed, its very picky. also for myself the first 2 videos are always shortened i dont know why, and then right after those videos it records perfectly fine.

Canon 60D, Tokina 11-16, Rokinon 35mm f1.4, GGS 3X Viewfinder, College "Income"

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 06, 2012 12:51 |  #8

Bagelsjustbagels wrote in post #15214381 (external link)
could be memory card speed, its very picky. also for myself the first 2 videos are always shortened i dont know why, and then right after those videos it records perfectly fine.

I have a 16gb Sandisk extreme class 10 card, and I have used worse cards and it has worked fine. My problem seems to be the exact opposite to yours; it recorded fine to start with but then got worse.

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 06, 2012 13:35 as a reply to  @ Heycoop Photography's post |  #9

My guess is significant jarring and/or vibration causing the batteries to lose contact. Simple test would be to place a small spacer against the battery(ies) to keep them in place and in contact. Also examine the battery contact tabs to make sure that one or more of them have not been mashed flat and are not making proper contact ALL the time.

First 10 to 15 seconds would be when the car is "started" and is at idle - when most "shake" occurs with high cammed motors in race cars. Check the camera. Can the mount be possibly near the "shutter" button and maybe interfering?

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 06, 2012 14:36 |  #10

Hillbille wrote in post #15214663 (external link)
My guess is significant jarring and/or vibration causing the batteries to lose contact. Simple test would be to place a small spacer against the battery(ies) to keep them in place and in contact. Also examine the battery contact tabs to make sure that one or more of them have not been mashed flat and are not making proper contact ALL the time.

First 10 to 15 seconds would be when the car is "started" and is at idle - when most "shake" occurs with high cammed motors in race cars. Check the camera. Can the mount be possibly near the "shutter" button and maybe interfering?

Hillbille

It could be that, although usually I turn it on about a minute before I actually go anywhere, so the car is idling for about a minute. It was a pretty bumpy circuit, so possibly that has caused some damage?

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 06, 2012 23:24 as a reply to  @ Heycoop Photography's post |  #11

GoPro's are a pretty hardy camera so I doubt that a little vibes hurt it. But that being said the batteries could be dislodging enough to lose contact. All it would entail is one of the tabs be just slightly weak and a jolt ot two would cause a loss of current even for a very short period. The camera would STOP recording (as if the battery had died) but stay "on".

This to me would be a definite red flag that one of the tabs was not maintaining contact.

It is extremely hard to attempt a diagnosis of your problem based solely on what little we know and NOT having the actual camera in hand to check and test. Some suggestions based on similar experience is the best most of us can do.

I would certainly check the battery. Check the battery compartment. Check every tab. Finally I would inspect the mount thoroughly.

My suspicion is that the problem is at the battery compartment in one of the contact tabs.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 07, 2012 02:29 |  #12

Hillbille wrote in post #15216705 (external link)
GoPro's are a pretty hardy camera so I doubt that a little vibes hurt it. But that being said the batteries could be dislodging enough to lose contact. All it would entail is one of the tabs be just slightly weak and a jolt ot two would cause a loss of current even for a very short period. The camera would STOP recording (as if the battery had died) but stay "on".

This to me would be a definite red flag that one of the tabs was not maintaining contact.

It is extremely hard to attempt a diagnosis of your problem based solely on what little we know and NOT having the actual camera in hand to check and test. Some suggestions based on similar experience is the best most of us can do.

I would certainly check the battery. Check the battery compartment. Check every tab. Finally I would inspect the mount thoroughly.

My suspicion is that the problem is at the battery compartment in one of the contact tabs.

Hillbille

Thanks - and I know how hard it is to diagnose without the camera, so I'm not expecting any miracles!!! Keep the ideas coming though

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2012 12:17 as a reply to  @ Heycoop Photography's post |  #13

How "old" is the battery(ies)? Are they rechargeable? If the batteries you are using are rechargeable and are fairly older could there be a buildup or coating on the contacts?

Worth checking. This is probably going to turn out to be something SO simple that it is overlooked easily. I call it being "simpled out" because you overlook it as being too obvious or too simple to be the actual problem.

Hillbille

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 07, 2012 12:31 |  #14

Hillbille wrote in post #15218400 (external link)
How "old" is the battery(ies)? Are they rechargeable? If the batteries you are using are rechargeable and are fairly older could there be a buildup or coating on the contacts?

Worth checking. This is probably going to turn out to be something SO simple that it is overlooked easily. I call it being "simpled out" because you overlook it as being too obvious or too simple to be the actual problem.

Hillbille

Batteries a brand new rechargables, and are genuine ones.

BigJilm
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 03, 2012 17:52 as a reply to  @ Heycoop Photography's post |  #15

I had a similar problem when I used a cheaper sd card. It seems that the slider on the lock was loose and when I put the card in the camera it slid into the loose position. I would start the camera and then about 30 seconds later it would turn off. I lost a lot of good footage due to a cheap ass card.

Canon EOS 6D, 70-200 f/4L, 85mm f/1.8, 24-105 f/4L, 40mm pancake

sponsored links

2,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
Go Pro Problems plus other stuff
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.