Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Oct 2012 (Friday) 02:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Film bodies?

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 26, 2012 10:58 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Perfect_10 wrote in post #15171903 (external link)
I don't agree. While the majority of film users today may be 'older' people, more and more younger ones are trying it out. While film will eventually die out, so will digital when it's replaced by something better.

Also, 12-inch records are making a comeback (for some of us they never left ;)) as more people find the sound warmer and less clinical. Don't underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Exactly! There are two groups of people that advertisers would crap themselves to get to. Young hipsters because they set the trends, and the 40-60 crowd because that is where the money is. Both groups are where, I suspect, film use is the strongest.

I am 55 and back in college training for a second career. I spend a lot of time at school. I see the occasional digital body. The digital photography class is full of Rebels and entry level Nikon digitals. Outside of the roaming bands of digital students, most of the cameras I see on campus are film cameras, not SLRs for the most part, but film. I hope this continues.

Gear List

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 26, 2012 10:59 |  #17

TSchrief wrote in post #15171900 (external link)
Edge100, above, mentioned scanning. Does everyone who shoots film do that? I refuse. I keep my analog photography separate and completely analog. No digital enhancements. If I need a different print, I take the negative to a local camera shop. They understand what I mean when I give cropping instructions for making an 8x10 out of a 24x36 negative. I am not trying to be elitist or purist. I just want to stick, as much as possible, to the way I used film 40 years ago.

Let me know if you scan/edit. Do you scan negatives/prints?

I'd wet print my negs, but I don't have the space for the equipment. I do develop my own B&W and C-41, though.

Scanning is a necessary evil for me, unfortunately. I apply sharpening, curves, dodging and burning, and cropping. I suppose that's 'digital enhancement', though one would do likewise in the darkroom.

The beautiful thing about shooting film is that there are REALLY good deals to be had on the equipment. A good condition 500cm kit, with an A12 back and an 80 f/2.8 will run you $1000. That's nothing, compared to what this kit would have cost 20 years ago, and far lower than the cost of a medium format digital system. Similarly, an excellent condition Leica M3 or M2 will cost you $800, tops. Compare that to a $7k Leica M; that's a whole lot of film for the difference in price.

If you really want to push it, a 4x5 Crown Graphic is $300 at keh.com. Add a decent Ektar lens for a couple hundred, and you've got a brilliant LF system that no digital camera can touch, for any price.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 26, 2012 11:03 |  #18

TSchrief wrote in post #15171900 (external link)
Edge100, above, mentioned scanning. Does everyone who shoots film do that? I refuse. I keep my analog photography separate and completely analog. No digital enhancements. If I need a different print, I take the negative to a local camera shop. They understand what I mean when I give cropping instructions for making an 8x10 out of a 24x36 negative. I am not trying to be elitist or purist. I just want to stick, as much as possible, to the way I used film 40 years ago.

Let me know if you scan/edit. Do you scan negatives/prints?

I have a V600 scanner that I use to scan my 35 and 120 but like you I dont make or sometimes barely make any retouches on film shots.

might as well setup a dark room so that you can do your own prints

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,505 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 26, 2012 14:51 |  #19

I'm 46 and seriously took on film this year for first time. B/w, home processing. Never done this before. It is less gear dependant, less expensive compare to digital. I like it so much I stop taking street candid pictures with digital. Don't like digital and color street pictures anymore including taken with digital Leicas. Feel so odd about myself luging around 5Dc with 17-40L on it just not so long tame ago for candids.
But I still use my Rebel and 5Dc to take colorful pictures :D

Forgot to mention: all film cameras I have are much more fun to DSLR.
Yashica 124 and Oly XA, fixed myself FSU RFs and Bessa R. The only film camera I'm not using at all is Rebel300. This one is no fun at all, but my wife took a lot of nice family portraits with it in the past.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 26, 2012 15:19 |  #20

I know one guy who shoot films, so it's not dead, and he makes amazing pictures, he has also a Leica M9...so I guess he likes to fiddle with cameras , and he makes his living out of it, so film is not dead.....just like Records, it has a sound of its own!

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 26, 2012 15:50 |  #21

sega62 wrote in post #15172955 (external link)
.....just like Records, it has a sound of its own!

Analogue rules, eh ;)

My Gear List  :p

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 26, 2012 18:07 |  #22

I still shoot fairly often with both a Minolta X-570 and Minolta Maxxum 7000. I deeply envy people who shoot Nikon, since they can easily use their film lenses on their digital bodies. I'd kill to use some of my Rokkor glass on my EOS system.

B&W film shooter gone digital.

jonrmoore
400 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 18:17 as a reply to  @ post 15171903 |  #23

I'm 23 and I shoot with my t2i a lot but shoot medium format, also. You just can't beat the dynamic range that film has.
I shoot with my fujifilm 6x9 and a cheap 6x6 topview camera, too. I'm thinking about buying a fuji gx680 so I can have the ease of developing 120 film but still having the bellow movements that a 4x5 has.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

http://jontakesphotos.​com (external link)
Flickr (external link) - 6D, 5D, 17-40L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 135 f2.8, Helios 44-2

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 26, 2012 19:31 |  #24

jonrmoore wrote in post #15173519 (external link)
I'm 23 and I shoot with my t2i a lot but shoot medium format, also. You just can't beat the dynamic range that film has.
I shoot with my fujifilm 6x9 and a cheap 6x6 topview camera, too. I'm thinking about buying a fuji gx680 so I can have the ease of developing 120 film but still having the bellow movements that a 4x5 has.
[tIMG]http://jonrmoore.com …places/smiths2.​jpg[/tIMG] (external link)

Nice!

I'm also considering a GX680. View camera-esque, without the view camera.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 26, 2012 19:41 |  #25

Perfect_10 wrote in post #15173094 (external link)
Analogue rules, eh ;)

Yes it does in a lot of ways, when I was introduced to CD's in 1992 or something...I noticed right away that it was lacking bass and some kind of 3d souns that analog has, yes it's small, and very crystal clean, but there is missing a lot of harmonics and that LIVE sound....
So far I'm not impress with digital, apart that you can manipulated it very fast, music edition and photo edit.
Would I shoot film again, yes, but now I regret that I sold my rebel......

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 26, 2012 20:18 |  #26

DC Fan wrote in post #15171603 (external link)
Film is something that is of interest of only older people, and as those people die out, film will be as obsolete as phone booths and 12-inch phonograph records. It's gone and will never come back.

Wow. I guess people don't paint any more since film was invented. And pottery is dead since we have tupperware. Horses are completely gone since cars have been around for over a hundred years.

Your sense of history is pretty poor. While new things do come in and knock old things down from their peak, they tend to stick around through the ages for a variety of reasons. People do still bow-hunt, run, ride bikes, ride horses, go camping, make clay pots, sew their own clothes, build log cabins, paint, and the list goes on. Trains still carry cargo and people, and despite email, people still talk on the phone and even in person. People still occasionally cook over an open fire despite there being perfectly good ovens.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 26, 2012 21:18 |  #27

I shoot with an eos 1n and a couple of olympus stylus epics sometimes. But my last two rolls got lost in the mail so it's been hard to be too excited about shooting film these days.

Seapup
Goldmember
2,728 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 27, 2012 01:21 |  #28

I developed photog skills on a Yashica and still shoot 35mm with my Canon T70 and EOS A2. I love it and will continue to shoot 35mm as long as a supply of film exists. :)

Canon 5D2 | 60D | A620 | SD850 IS | SD4000 IS
Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 27, 2012 07:02 |  #29

Canon 1D and 400D for digital stuff
Canon 1N and 5 for film plus
Minolta SRT100x
Minolta Autocord TLR
Yashica-A TLR
Yashicamat 124G TLR
All are used on a regular basis and enjoyed

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

WilliamHouser
194 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 29, 2012 00:14 as a reply to  @ Steveod's post |  #30

5D2 for digital, Pentax K1000 for film, eventually going to either an EOS 1n or EOS 3 so that I can use my EF lenses, still very new and just learning film though.

I have returned to the light side of the force.

sponsored links

4,052 views & 0 likes for this thread
Film bodies?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.