Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Oct 2012 (Friday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got Rejected at Schools and I Don't Get It?

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 27, 2012 02:40 |  #61

'Twas but a troll. I'm appalled that any of you would find that good.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 27, 2012 12:42 |  #62

Tombcool wrote in post #15174440 (external link)
I am going to take my art somewhere else where it is appreciated and I can get proper advice.

In art, "proper advice" rarely equates to an "attaboy."

You asked why you weren't accepted. You were given good reasons why that happened, whether you liked what you heard or not.

Did you want advice on how to get accepted? You got that too, whether you liked what you heard or not.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 27, 2012 14:29 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #63

In my "day job", we have a saying-
"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got."
If your work did not get the response you wanted, and you keep doing the same thing, the result will be pretty much the same as what happened in the past. You have the skills and talent, just do something different with it. But, another piece of the puzzle is the image that you project. At the interview, how did you dress? If some of those on the board liked your work, and others were on the border, but did not like your appearance or attitude, then it will be very difficult to get anywhere. Change is hard!

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 27, 2012 14:58 |  #64

So you hate mens... Thats kinda interesting.

Anyways, a portfolio cannot be 5 pieces, its usually around 15-20.

Of the stuff that you have linked here none of it is photographically relevant. Its more fine arts, and illustration oriented. None of it has anything to do with design either, so i completely understand why both schools would reject you.

And its not because your stuff sucks, its because its not something they teach, its not something they could help you improve.

You'd be more welcomed at a fine arts school where such... self expressions are far more welcomed.

A photography school is a technical school to improve photography and ideally to make you into a professional photographer, your photos while interesting art pieces would not be suitable for a photographic career. I am your opposite, well not exactly since i'm not gay, but i got turned down for fine arts because all of my photography was too technical and commercial :(

Maverique wrote in post #15174674 (external link)
'Twas but a troll. I'm appalled that any of you would find that good.

Photographically speaking, yeah its horrible, but its also clearly not photography so judging it by that standard would be weird.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 27, 2012 15:05 |  #65

Dude. It was awful under any standard you want to place it under. It's like early 90s CGI done in bad taste. No. Just no.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 27, 2012 19:10 |  #66

Not sure that a school rejection belongs in the business subsection...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 27, 2012 21:41 |  #67

Tombcool wrote in post #15171927 (external link)
^No. My hatred for men is manifested in my artwork. Art is self-expressive.

My goal is to do work for musicians (Metal) and book covers.

You are clearly missing my point as my portfolio, in my opinion, is very high quality as represented by my skill. Which is why I don't understand why I am being rejected.

The second image would look a bunch more real if the glass bottle on the ground was darker. It looks like it was shot on a table and placed there on the dark carpet just something I noticed.

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

Tombcool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 28, 2012 20:30 |  #68

thank you above poster for the positive criticism.

I think a lot of you are missing the point on why I am mad. I am mad because you guys are saying I have mental issues and im going to be a killer. how ****ing rude and disrespectful is that?

do any of you go off calling Eli Roth a psycho for creating films involving women being murdered? no! do any of you **** because the only kind of movie George a Romero knows how to direct is zombie flicks? well guess ****ing what, no!

both artists mastered one style and became famous.

all of you can critique my work but the some that are insulting it is out of line.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 28, 2012 20:55 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

I thought you were like going some other place or something like that?

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,316 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 28, 2012 22:26 |  #70

Tombcool wrote in post #15180254 (external link)

do any of you go off calling Eli Roth a psycho for creating films involving women being murdered? no! do any of you **** because the only kind of movie George a Romero knows how to direct is zombie flicks? well guess ****ing what, no!

all of you can critique my work but the some that are insulting it is out of line.

Who are these people? Either your world is too small or mine. It may be both but I'm pretty sure yours is. That's what many of the posters are trying to tell you. I have a music degree and have spent many years learning and working as both a musician and a photographer. I can tell you you must learn to accept criticism without being offended. Learning to be an artist can be humbling at times but the discipline of older artists is always worth learning from.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2012 08:07 |  #71

and were probably laughed at all the way there....

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 29, 2012 08:30 |  #72

I think a lot of you are missing the point on why I am mad. I am mad because you guys are saying I have mental issues and im going to be a killer. how ****ing rude and disrespectful is that?

Your question was why didn't you get accepted into photography schools.

If you feel you don't have anything to learn--and if that's the impression you give to the schoool, they're not going to accept you.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 29, 2012 13:45 |  #73

RDKirk wrote in post #15181849 (external link)
Your question was why didn't you get accepted into photography schools.

If you feel you don't have anything to learn--and if that's the impression you give to the schoool, they're not going to accept you.

Exactly, not about the work or if people like it, but why waste time on someone who thinks they know it all...they won't, neither will any boss; OP do you think the two you mentioned go into a project with this attitude? I can answer it for you, no! They go in with a vision, they take suggestions and criticism and adjust, it's how every creative adventure goes.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

picsbyamanda
119 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 29, 2012 18:38 |  #74

I like to be straight up with people, so I'm just gonna say what I feel to OP.

Learn to accept criticism... I'm only a teenager and when I started posting my photos on sites and forums like this asking for criticism I wasn't exactly happy with some of the responses I got either. Things that I thought that were fairly good had "blown out highlights" and "soft focus," "uneven lighting," and even "green color balances". And even though I thought my photos and I were the sh--, I was the one that asked for criticism and that's what I got. Instead of saying "screw them!" to all the people that commented, giving me VALIAD AND CREDIBLE advice, I took what they said into account and went back and re-edited my photos. Now when I'm shooting I keep all the things others have said about composure, lighting, etc. in mind and my photography has improved tremendously. I haven't seen any post not offering you good advice, but you seem too clouded by your perception of your own work and offended by the language used to recognize the advice right in front of you.

Of course there is a difference between "these are so bad! you have no future in this" and "oh, i think the tones are a little off on this photo." Know to tell the difference and ignore the arrogant, nonconstructive people. Unless in reality, you work really is that bad...

Point is, you asked why didn't these schools accept me. And my opinion is that your portfolio was full of one-dimensional, low quality images all with a sadistic theme. And if your attitude is as negative and poor in person as it is on the internet, that's probably another reason. You get offended with anyone that doesn't agree that your work is good. You asked a question, you got a bunch of answers and a lot of good advice. If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question. Instead, chill out and take what others have said into account and move on and progress with your work. Everyone needs to learn how to take criticism. Artists need to love to get criticism. Because you know what you did wrong, what you did right, and how to improve on it.

Gear List |Flickr (external link)|Twitter (external link)

Tombcool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 29, 2012 22:21 as a reply to  @ picsbyamanda's post |  #75

I am fine with accepting criticism, as you can tell from my last post I was grateful for the person above me who did constructively criticized my latest piece.

But I am specifically pointing out people in pages 1-4 of this thread and I don't think I need to quote them because they say things like...

"your stuff is done in bad taste"

"it looks like 90s CGI done in bad taste"

"you are going to be the next campus killer"

"you are going to kill other students"

"protip #1: fix mental health"

Don't some of you think that is incredibly rude? The above poster has and I appreciate that. I have every right to be angry at people who have said things like that.

I am not criticizing what people have answered to about my question. I personally think my work is not very low quality, but others mentioned it is in this thread. I never attacked the people that had said that. I am angry and attacking the people that are saying the above relating to my so-called troubled "mental health".

I love sadistic, violent, creepy, mysterious, bloody, and dark themes in my artwork.

I want to learn other methods, but I am sick of schools giving me that "you are ****ed in the head" look, and they do not want to accept me on the basis of me being a possible "danger" to the school.

I have seen portfolios of just naked women or landscapes being accepted. But for some reason, men being killed and tortured is a big no?

sponsored links

13,852 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got Rejected at Schools and I Don't Get It?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.