Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

gatti68
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 27, 2012 19:57 |  #196

Ok, count me in!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Just in case it helps anyone considering this strap I thought I would give a little mini review. I am impressed so far. I ordered it on October 3rd, it shipped on the 19th and I got it here in PA on the 24th. It seems to slide easily so I don't think I was affected by the webbing issue. Also, I got the regular and it fits well and I'm sure I could wear it over a winter coat (I am 5'10 and 215lbs, I go back and forth with Xl and XXL shirts). I really like the way my camera sits with the Cinch. It doesn't flop around and it "hugs" my hip. Bringing it to my eye is very simple and the strap does not get in the way of my viewfinder. I am looking forward to much more field testing soon!

I also ordered the membrane connector even though I was a bit skeptical of its ability to safely hold my camera. I am happy to report it seems very stout and even though I just got it I feel much better trusting it with my 7D.

Thanks Luma Labs, very nice product and I am glad I found it.

-Adam-
Gear List

sponsored links
gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 27, 2012 20:26 |  #197

I also ordered the membrane connector even though I was a bit skeptical of its ability to safely hold my camera. I am happy to report it seems very stout and even though I just got it I feel much better trusting it with my 7D.

If it makes you feel any better, it took months of testing to convince myself that the Membrane Connector was stout enough to hang customer's cameras off of.

Hypalon is a super exotic material used in Zodiac boats and Apache gunship fuel tanks. I had this crazy idea to put it between the plate and the camera one night and went into the shop at 3am (since I couldn't sleep) and started testing it. I figured it would never actually work.... but it did. That night, I did a 6' drop test a few times on our test camera without any issues.

As impressed as I was, I figured it couldn't last. We ran the prototypes on our personal cameras for a few weeks without issue. Finally, Duncan took one on assignment to Myanmar on his D3s, one went to Wired's military photographer and one went to a combat photographer in Afghanistan. They all worked in harsh conditions for months without issue.

Even though they are extremely well tested both on the bench and in the field, it still amazes me that they work so well.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 27, 2012 20:34 |  #198

gakoenig wrote in post #15176798 (external link)
If it makes you feel any better, it took months of testing to convince myself that the Membrane Connector was stout enough to hang customer's cameras off of.

Hypalon is a super exotic material used in Zodiac boats and Apache gunship fuel tanks. I had this crazy idea to put it between the plate and the camera one night and went into the shop at 3am (since I couldn't sleep) and started testing it. I figured it would never actually work.... but it did. That night, I did a 6' drop test a few times on our test camera without any issues.

As impressed as I was, I figured it couldn't last. We ran the prototypes on our personal cameras for a few weeks without issue. Finally, Duncan took one on assignment to Myanmar on his D3s, one went to Wired's military photographer and one went to a combat photographer in Afghanistan. They all worked in harsh conditions for months without issue.

Even though they are extremely well tested both on the bench and in the field, it still amazes me that they work so well.

This makes me wish I didn't email to cancel mine :lol:

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,602 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 27, 2012 20:44 |  #199

whmeltonjr wrote in post #15176813 (external link)
This makes me wish I didn't email to cancel mine :lol:

How does that saying go...oh yah "You snooze, you lose" :lol:

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

gatti68
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 27, 2012 20:47 |  #200

Thanks gakoenig,

All that testing does make me feel even better about the connector, I would recommend it to anyone. In fact my wife just saw mine and I think I may end up ordering a second one soon!

-Adam-
Gear List

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 27, 2012 20:55 |  #201

328iGuy wrote in post #15176845 (external link)
How does that saying go...oh yah "You snooze, you lose" :lol:

It hasn't shipped, so I could still un-cancel :lol: I'm waiting for the QR to come out as that is more useful to me.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 27, 2012 21:05 |  #202

It hasn't shipped, so I could still un-cancel I'm waiting for the QR to come out as that is more useful to me.

The QR hook is designed to connect to the D-ring on the membrane connector.

It's gotta clip onto the camera somehow after all...

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 27, 2012 21:17 |  #203

I already have this http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …r_Manfrotto_200​PL_14.html (external link) so I figured it would clip onto that.

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 27, 2012 21:26 |  #204

lehmanncpa wrote in post #15171707 (external link)
Sorry for the cell phone pics, but I couldn't take photos of my camera with my camera. Here's what my quick adjust strap looks like. It works great.

gatti68 wrote in post #15176743 (external link)
Ok, count me in!

Welcome guys!.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 27, 2012 22:54 |  #205

I already have this http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/c/produc..._200P​L_14.html (external link) so I figured it would clip onto that.

I can't guarantee the Luma QD system's compatibility with stuff made by *that* particular company...

;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 27, 2012 23:29 |  #206

gakoenig wrote in post #15177175 (external link)
I can't guarantee the Luma QD system's compatibility with stuff made by *that* particular company...

;)

Are you done with the QD yet? :)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 28, 2012 00:12 |  #207

Are you done with the QD yet?

Well, the die shop just cashed a check that could have paid for a small car that is *supposed* to be used to make the tooling for our QD system. They could have run off to the Four Seasons Seychelles with it - I hear it's quite lovely this time of year...

i-G12
Wat?
1,883 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 28, 2012 08:28 |  #208

gakoenig wrote in post #15177175 (external link)

;)

Indeed.

TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 28, 2012 18:48 |  #209

Welcome to all the new CINCH owners. :D

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 28, 2012 19:59 |  #210

gakoenig wrote in post #15177299 (external link)
Well, the die shop just cashed a check that could have paid for a small car that is *supposed* to be used to make the tooling for our QD system.

No turning back now! Full steam ahead! I'm givin' her all she's got cap'n! Congratulations.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

sponsored links

278,824 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.