Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need a tri pod

thekid17
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 25, 2012 15:21 |  #1

looking to get a tripod under 150$ for car photography and portraits, landscapes. so need something that can get low to the ground level and one with some height. maybe ill need 2 to go as low as i want?

thanks

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2012 15:56 |  #2

Start here: LINK

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

thekid17
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 25, 2012 17:25 |  #3

thanks alot of good information

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2012 17:27 |  #4

Welcome. After youve searched through that a bit, let us know if you have more specific questions and we'll offer more from there.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,631 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 25, 2012 19:34 |  #5

Link to Davis & Sanford Magnum XG13 from B&H is http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Grounder_Tripod​_With.html (external link). I'm considering this tripod and find it to be quite versatile without being terribly expensive. I do notice it is slightly over your budget but the head is included. It also got good reviews in Popular Photography a few months ago.

thekid17
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 27, 2012 18:06 |  #6

think i mite go with a http://www.amazon.com …le_ce/179-8087638-8503614 (external link)

and a http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …98RC2_Midi_Ball​_Head.html (external link)

just not sure if i want the column

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2012 19:24 |  #7

The 055xprob is great. Its heavy though. Very heavy. If you're planning to use it close by your home or car, then its fine, if you plan on hiking with it, spend more on a lighter carbon fibre one.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

thekid17
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 27, 2012 20:08 |  #8

well its 5.29 pounds im pretty strong lol how much weight reduction will i get with a carbon fiber

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 27, 2012 20:39 |  #9

thekid17 wrote in post #15176766 (external link)
well its 5.29 pounds im pretty strong lol how much weight reduction will i get with a carbon fiber

Depends on the legs, could be as light as 2lbs. If youre carrying it any distance (like hiking or something) youll want as light as you can afford.

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2012 00:45 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #10

I got the Manfrotto 055XPROB w/804RC2 head and it is super stable, but as has been said, it's heavy. It would ok if you are just carrying it in a park or public garden but much to heavy for a back pack trip. I paid $211 just a few weeks ago, and it has come down in $10 price since then. -rick

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …OB_Tripod_Legs_​Black.html (external link)

Sirrith wrote in post #15176667 (external link)
The 055xprob is great. Its heavy though. Very heavy. If you're planning to use it close by your home or car, then its fine, if you plan on hiking with it, spend more on a lighter carbon fibre one.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

thekid17
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 28, 2012 14:06 |  #11

i would like a carbon fiber one but all the manfrotto are out of my price range

thekid17
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 28, 2012 14:27 |  #12

im assuming this will be crap

http://www.amazon.com …bogen+carbon+fi​ber+tripod (external link)

thekid17
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 01, 2012 17:09 |  #13

how are the pistol grips?

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 01, 2012 17:14 |  #14

I don't own one but when I used one, I didn't like it. It is quicker to lock but you'd probably get a better feel for adjusting your camera when your right hand is on the grip and just tightening the ball head with your other hand.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 01, 2012 17:26 |  #15

I can vouch for the CF version of the Manfrotto. I started with the standard 055, but it was way too heavy and doesn't compact down as far as I would like; so I upgraded to the carbon fiber, 4 section last Christmas. It's lighter and compacts down, with a ball head attached, to the same size as the regular 055 without a head.

I still love that thing, but I've found the construction is a bit cheaper/flimsier than I'm happy with. The collars holding the leg sections together have come apart a couple of times, and the shims that go in to keep the legs aligned properly have cracked/shattered in two of the legs. They're simple to replace, but the ordering process for getting replacement parts is thoroughly annoying; so I haven't done that yet. I'd give it a solid B+, overall.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

2,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
need a tri pod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.