Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 May 2011 (Wednesday) 21:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gossen DIGISKY Flash and Ambient Light Meter

AndyCollings
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 10, 2012 14:09 |  #16

Ah, so the gossen meter needs to be connecting to elinchrom software on a computer that is wirelessly connected? I had thought the meter could somehow get power level information from the lights themselves, but I guess that would not work if you have two lights at different power levels that are set to the same channel.

Andy Collings
website (external link)
flickr (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
15,437 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 10, 2012 14:15 |  #17

No, it doesn't need to be connected as far as I know. I'm just saying that there would be no reason for the power reading to be available to the Digisky if Elinchrom doesn't support it in some fashion. That fashion would have to be with there remote software.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …r_Remote_Trigge​r_Set.html (external link)

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,437 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2012 08:05 |  #18

It's backordered, I'll post a review when possible.

flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,608 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 11, 2012 09:58 |  #19

AndyCollings wrote in post #12698553 (external link)
I read somewhere that the Digisky will only trigger the elinchroms and not adjust them as well. Is that correct? If so, lame!

I just downloaded and read the Digisky user manual...absolutely no mention of any control of lights...you merely can select which radio channel to assign to four radio groups (All, 1-8) to TRIGGER the light via radio remote. And there is no location on the display to show a power level of a flash unit which is being controlled by the meter.

Additionally, "The DIGISKY has a built-in USB port at the bottom of the housing. The exposure meter can be connected to a PC via this port and, amongst other applications, the battery can be recharged. Meter settings may be made by PC and transferred to the DIGISKY. " So while the Elinchrom can get commands from PC thru its supplied software ("To operate RX flash units via computer the USB module should be used together
with the EL-Skyport Transceiver RX and the ERS- software 3.0"), it does not appear that the Digisky transmits any data to PC, only receives it, so control of the Elinchrom lights from hardwire connection from the Digisky (via PC as intermediary) seems to not be a feature either.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2012 10:43 |  #20

Wilt wrote in post #15108012 (external link)
I just downloaded and read the Digisky user manual...absolutely no mention of any control of lights...you merely can select which radio channel to assign to four radio groups (All, 1-8) to TRIGGER the light via radio remote. And there is no location on the display to show a power level of a flash unit which is being controlled by the meter.

Additionally, "The DIGISKY has a built-in USB port at the bottom of the housing. The exposure meter can be connected to a PC via this port and, amongst other applications, the battery can be recharged. Meter settings may be made by PC and transferred to the DIGISKY. " So while the Elinchrom can get commands from PC thru its supplied software ("To operate RX flash units via computer the USB module should be used together
with the EL-Skyport Transceiver RX and the ERS- software 3.0"), it does not appear that the Digisky transmits any data to PC, only receives it, so control of the Elinchrom lights from hardwire connection from the Digisky (via PC as intermediary) seems to not be a feature either.

Bit of misinformation there as Skyport power adjustment has recently been added via a software update per their recent announcement: www.gossen-photo.de/presse/Presse​info_DIGISKY_EN-US.doc (external link)

"The second software update for the DIGISKY, by means of which Elinchrom flash head power can be adjusted by radio in addition to existing radio triggering, has been released in time for Photokina. This eliminates the need to actually go to the flash head or use an additional remote control. If convenient measurement with radio triggering is used without power adjustment, this is made available in combination with Elinchrom Skyport Universal radio sets for flashes from other manufacturers as well."

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,608 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 11, 2012 11:29 |  #21

Rai33 wrote in post #15108179 (external link)
Bit of misinformation there as Skyport power adjustment has recently been added via a software update per their recent announcement: www.gossen-photo.de/presse/Presse​info_DIGISKY_EN-US.doc (external link)

"The second software update for the DIGISKY, by means of which Elinchrom flash head power can be adjusted by radio in addition to existing radio triggering, has been released in time for Photokina. This eliminates the need to actually go to the flash head or use an additional remote control. If convenient measurement with radio triggering is used without power adjustment, this is made available in combination with Elinchrom Skyport Universal radio sets for flashes from other manufacturers as well."

Ah, a Photokina announcement! Setting...but one needs to look at the Elinchrom to figure out where the setting is currently? I hope they provide electronic documentation about how to use the feature, when you download the software update!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

windpig
Chopped liver
15,437 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2012 11:35 |  #22

Wilt wrote in post #15108364 (external link)
I hope they provide electronic documentation about how to use the feature, when you download the software update!

That would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see.:cool:

flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,437 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 16, 2012 21:47 |  #23

I just received my Gossen Digisky Meter today.

With regard to power adjusting and triggering RX packs.

The meter interrogates any RX receiver that is turned on
It then assigns them into the meter by channel
You have the follow available with one punch of the data button on the front of the meter:
All Channels
Channel 1
Channel 2
Channel 3
Channel 4

You get a read out of the power setting for that pack that is on the channel you have highlighted.
You can adjust in .1 stop increments from lowest to highest.

I need a little more time to get familiar with what button sequence to push to get to the power adjustment and/or turning on the modeling light. After a 1/2 hour of working with it I'm pretty damn happy with the functionality.

I'll do a more in depth review with screen shots of the meter showing the details of the above.

The firmware update was easy
The instructions for the power settings and interrogation of the RX receivers is non-existent, so it took a little futzing around.

flickr (external link)

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 28, 2012 18:42 |  #24

Looking forward to your review

windpig
Chopped liver
15,437 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 28, 2012 19:00 |  #25

steveathome wrote in post #15179856 (external link)
Looking forward to your review

I PM'd you.

flickr (external link)

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 28, 2012 19:03 |  #26

Thank you

windpig
Chopped liver
15,437 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 25, 2012 10:52 |  #27

I made an interesting discovery with the Digisky this AM. It's able to control the power and on/off modeling light on my BXRi500, the modeling light output will go up and down with the strobe output adjustment. It doesn't show the power settings on the Digisky display, but I'll take it.

This would make an upgrade to the new DLite's RX4 possibly worth while if you have this meter.

flickr (external link)

newporthomie
Goldmember
4,175 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 03, 2013 10:06 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #28

windpig, could you pm me your review as well? Thanks in advance

sponsored links

10,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gossen DIGISKY Flash and Ambient Light Meter
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.