Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 08 Oct 2012 (Monday) 10:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gonna test a 1Dx this weekend

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 10, 2012 01:32 |  #16

I don't even want to try one out! I know my next thing after is how would I get one since after that I know I would have to have it

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

sponsored links
No ­ One
372 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 10, 2012 03:41 |  #17

jakefreese wrote in post #15102227 (external link)
I don't even want to try one out! I know my next thing after is how would I get one since after that I know I would have to have it

I know what you mean.I tried a 1DX out last month by accident when I pased by a camera store which had one in stock.Well,after trying it out,couldn't resist getting one so I sold my 1D MKIV and bought a 1DX.Really wished that I could have afforded just buying the 1DX without selling the 1D MKIV so that I could use it just in case I needed the reach factor.Guess what,what I miss more with the 1DX that the 1D MKIV had were the red focusing points,especially in low light shooting.

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 10, 2012 04:07 |  #18

No One wrote in post #15102421 (external link)
I know what you mean.I tried a 1DX out last month by accident when I pased by a camera store which had one in stock.Well,after trying it out,couldn't resist getting one so I sold my 1D MKIV and bought a 1DX.Really wished that I could have afforded just buying the 1DX without selling the 1D MKIV so that I could use it just in case I needed the reach factor.Guess what,what I miss more with the 1DX that the 1D MKIV had were the red focusing points,especially in low light shooting.

Yeah I miss that on my 7D also from the 40D

At least you had something close for an upgrade! I would be going 7d to 1dx so it will be a large $ upgrade for me! I have thoughts of going to a 5d3 or 1d4 next then up to the X

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 10, 2012 06:48 |  #19

As much as they're tempting, they're just too large and heavy for wedding work; at least for me.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 10, 2012 12:03 |  #20

Peacefield wrote in post #15102712 (external link)
As much as they're tempting, they're just too large and heavy for wedding work; at least for me.

Robert.. it does not feel much different that the MKIV to me in terms of weight and size.. it actually feels pretty good........Until you slap on a bracket, flash, and a 70-200:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bizzle23
212 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 22, 2012 23:50 |  #21

umphotography wrote:
it does not feel much different that the MKIV to me in terms of weight and size

What happen to your 1DMKIV? Did you sell and replace with another 5DMKIII? I'm keep debating if I should trade my 1DMKIV for another 5DMKIII.

1DXMKII | 5DMKIII | 7DMKII | 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L | SIGMA 50 1.4 ART | SIGMA 15 2.8 FISHEYE | (3) 600EX- RT | 055CXPRO4 + 498RC2
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 23, 2012 08:55 |  #22

bizzle23 wrote in post #15157253 (external link)
What happen to your 1DMKIV? Did you sell and replace with another 5DMKIII? I'm keep debating if I should trade my 1DMKIV for another 5DMKIII.

Yes. I Traded a person on this board. He had a new one and mine was under 20K on the count. It just made sense for us because my wife is my 2nd and its just so much easier to get her the camera settings if she gets stumped, swap lens, ect. ect.. MKIV is such a great camera but we are indoors 80% of the time for the work we do so ISo and low light performance is critical. MKIV and 5D3 are so close until you get to servo use in low light,,5D3 wins here. Both AF systems have the plus' and negatives but overall, it just made things easier for us to have matching bodies.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

G..
190 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 26, 2012 14:24 |  #23

Mike, as I was reading that I started to wonder why you were talking about your 2nd marriage?
Interested to hear your thoughts Mike but 1Dx is out of my price range.

A British Photographer in Paphos
www.paphosweddingphoto​graphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/papho​sweddingphotography (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2012 11:06 |  #24

G.. wrote in post #15172750 (external link)
Mike, as I was reading that I started to wonder why you were talking about your 2nd marriage?

HAHA

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 30, 2012 10:50 |  #25

bizzle23 wrote in post #15157253 (external link)

i'm in the EXACT same boat...

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2012 11:07 |  #26

btmlinedan wrote in post #15186533 (external link)
i'm in the EXACT same boat...

Traded mine because my wife is new at this, she's my 2nd shooter, and its just easier through out the day to tell her the settings when she gets stumped. Really made a difference for us. Plus the 5D3s locked a bit better in low light in one shot but servo was the big deal changer for me. Servo is awesome on the 5D3 in poor light... it hits,, the MkIV was terrible in servo in low light. I used one shot with it. Its really nice to be able to use servo in low light and know its going to hit.

That being said.

I miss the heck out of that MKIV. I have regrets trading it away now, especially after i tested the 1Dx. I liked the 1.3 crop factor and i loved it for sports and wildlife. But it was a business decision we made so i have to live with it. I may wait until these MKIV's drop below 3K and get another one. I really liked the camera and was very disappointed with the 1Dx in comparison, especially after it was compared against the 5D3. We have 2 5D3's and kept one of the 5D2's because we need 3 cameras........Hind sight being better than fore sight..... i would have kept the MKIV. In my eyes, It a perfect companion for the 5D3.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 30, 2012 12:25 |  #27

i hear ya Mike~ anyone i have my 1d too ( hell, any of em, 1d2, 1d2n, 1d3, or 1d4, i've about had em all! ) they always look at it crazy like it's from another planet. "how do i adjust this thing?" is usually the look that overwhelmes their face. Since i've shot 1d's for so long, i'm used to both, but it WOULD make life easier having the same body on each arm. same settings, same custom functions, etc.

I just don't think i'd miss my 1d4, who knows. I keep it b/c i got a killer deal on it, and occasionally someone will want me to shoot something 'sporty' (and i sold my 7d) so it just kinda sticks around. It's also nice to be able to have both FF and 1.3X on your shoulder in case you need more reach, or more wide.

it's all paid off, so that stuff doesn't cross my mind much anymore. now it's just about lens and TALENT envy... We'll see about next season though ;)

my setup now ; should've waited until my 5d2 grip arrived (but the the beater t1i just sold, and the 7d will be sold tonight)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 05, 2012 21:51 |  #28

You will like the 1dx regardless. It's a great camera. I shoot along my partnet who has a 1dx and it does lock af in darkness. :)

However if you have quiet churches, you will miss the 5d3 silence shutter.
For wedding photography, the 5d3 is all you need :)

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 07, 2012 09:24 |  #29

sonnyc wrote in post #15211976 (external link)
You will like the 1dx regardless. It's a great camera. I shoot along my partnet who has a 1dx and it does lock af in darkness. :)

However if you have quiet churches, you will miss the 5d3 silence shutter.
For wedding photography, the 5d3 is all you need :)

i haven't came across something the 5d3 couldn't handle. It's usually user error if anything ;)

sponsored links

5,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gonna test a 1Dx this weekend
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.