Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Drake Women's Soccer

gettingstarted
86 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 30, 2012 00:03 |  #1

Shot on a bright, sunny day with a Canon 50D and 70-200mm f/2.8.

Struggled with keeping the shutter speed at a reasonable amount. Something about 1/5000 just seems too fast. Kept turning down the ISO.

Pictures still seem out of focus. And there are blue tones everywhere.

Could use some tips on shooting in that sunny weather and also on PP pictures from these conditions. Thanks.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8472/8137449115_882311d377.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8137450841_3733f8ae26.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8137451521_c09ca3a056.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8047/8137452267_a0743684e2.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8328/8137482546_cf2ee1db4c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8137483430_13886773c2.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8137454277_dffb2106d5.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8137454909_caf26b4b3e.jpg

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 30, 2012 00:06 |  #2

Good action captures, but they definitely need a WB adjustment.

Mark

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 30, 2012 00:33 |  #3

Shooting backlit will cause AF to struggle

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

PaulMedik
541 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 30, 2012 08:33 |  #4

gettingstarted wrote in post #15185167 (external link)
Shot on a bright, sunny day with a Canon 50D and 70-200mm f/2.8.

Struggled with keeping the shutter speed at a reasonable amount. Something about 1/5000 just seems too fast. Kept turning down the ISO.

Could use some tips on shooting in that sunny weather ........

gettingstarted,

You stayed at F2.8? F9 or greater would have helped slow the shutter speed and ISO 100 would have been fine. F9 would have also kept more in focus.

My Flickr (external link) | My Fotki (external link) | My YouTube (external link) MY GEAR, Gear I want, & Sold Gear

gettingstarted
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 30, 2012 13:49 |  #5

rrblint - Any suggestions on which way to look? They are all large JPEGs, so there is no RAW adjustments to be made.

ajaffe - Thanks. I did not know that.

PaulMedik - I considered that, but then how to separate the players from the background?

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 30, 2012 14:13 |  #6

Don't shoot at f9 unless you have a specific need to. Shutter speed being too fast is not a problem.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 30, 2012 14:34 |  #7

Shooting backlit is tough, don't see a need to bring up the ISO if there's plenty of light.

You could stop down to f4 to help focus a bit but I wouldn't go down as far as f8/9.

Joel

PaulMedik
541 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 30, 2012 15:31 |  #8

gettingstarted wrote in post #15187197 (external link)
PaulMedik - I considered that, but then how to separate the players from the background?

gettingstarted,

F9 wont give you that nice bokeh, but it will allow you to have more areas in focus which will increase the odds of the players being in focus. F2.8 is most beneficial under the lights when you need to gather as much light as possible, but it is less forgiving in terms of focus points.

My Flickr (external link) | My Fotki (external link) | My YouTube (external link) MY GEAR, Gear I want, & Sold Gear

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 30, 2012 18:06 |  #9

PaulMedik wrote in post #15187579 (external link)
gettingstarted,

F9 wont give you that nice bokeh, but it will allow you to have more areas in focus which will increase the odds of the players being in focus. F2.8 is most beneficial under the lights when you need to gather as much light as possible, but it is less forgiving in terms of focus points.

F9 won't separate players from the background. Higher shutter speed isn't the problem.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

PaulMedik
541 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 30, 2012 20:37 |  #10

elrey2375 wrote in post #15188127 (external link)
F9 won't separate players from the background. Higher shutter speed isn't the problem.

elrey2375,

I agree that F9 will not separate players from the background. I never said nor implied that it would. The OP wanted to know what to change to be able to lower the shutter speed; changing to F9 will allow him to do that.

Personally I'd have cropped much tighter on several of the pics (#4, 5, and 6 are tight enough), but if the OP wants to show several players in focus in a wide shot, then F9 will allow him to have all of those players in focus.

Bokeh or background blur is nice for many purposes, but in #2 and #4 the OP obviously wanted to show several players at various distances and at a wide angle. F9 would allow him to achieve focus on all the players in those shots though he would sacrifice the bokeh. Sometimes it's more important to show what happened instead of just a pretty picture.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 30, 2012 20:55 |  #11

PaulMedik wrote in post #15188671 (external link)
elrey2375,

I agree that F9 will not separate players from the background. I never said nor implied that it would. The OP wanted to know what to change to be able to lower the shutter speed; changing to F9 will allow him to do that.

Personally I'd have cropped much tighter on several of the pics (#4, 5, and 6 are tight enough), but if the OP wants to show several players in focus in a wide shot, then F9 will allow him to have all of those players in focus.

Bokeh or background blur is nice for many purposes, but in #2 and #4 the OP obviously wanted to show several players at various distances and at a wide angle. F9 would allow him to achieve focus on all the players in those shots though he would sacrifice the bokeh. Sometimes it's more important to show what happened instead of just a pretty picture.

Yes, it will allow for several players to be in acceptable focus, only those in the focal plane will truly be in focus, however. As for the OP, I would also wonder what metering he was using.

abruckse
497 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 30, 2012 21:13 |  #12

There's a reason why you won't find a professional sports photographer, especially for for paper or wire service, shooting f/9 action shots. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 1/5000th shutter speed. It's just the name of the game when shooting wide open in direct sun. Certainly, stopping down can give you some benefits in a sport like soccer, and it will extend your margin of error with focus, but to do so only because you feel like the shutter speed is "too high" isn't necessary. I'll stop down to f/4 sometimes, but rarely slower... again, it just isn't necessary to stop down beyond that for action shots. If you still can't grab sharp focus at f/4, then you should be checking your technique or equipment, not stopping down further.

OP, many of your shots are underexposed, looking at the faces. Part of that, as others have mentioned, is due to you position to the sun. When forced to shoot side to backlit, don't be afraid to blow out those white uniforms quite a bit in order to get the face properly lit. You can always recover highlights and bring up the shadows in post... shoot raw if you aren't already. During these direct sun games, experiment with position. Shooting directly backlit can yield awesome shots if done right. For now though, I'd stick with putting your back to the sun whenever possible. Don't know what metering mode or method you're using, or if you're in manual mode or aperture/shutter priority... those details are always nice. As far as focus, again, details on your settings/technique would be nice. Looks like you just backfocused on the background in #4. The images are really too small to really see what is/isn't in focus.White balance looks a little off in a few, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're shooting raw.

Also, crop tighter if you can.

Andrew
www.andrewbruckse.com (external link) | Instagram (external link)

gettingstarted
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 30, 2012 21:44 |  #13

For the most part, I had the sun to my back. I was shooting in manual mode with the aperture set at 2.8. I was using spot metering. Any suggestions on helping keep the metering consistent? I was having to adjust the shutter speed every few seconds.

I haven't struggled with landing the focus point in the past, but the colors and the WB really seem to be blown in most of them.

I am really to any suggestions on how to save these images (to the extent that they can be saved) and how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Sometimes a day of shooting will really remind a person of how little they actually know.

abruckse
497 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 30, 2012 21:55 |  #14

Look at the shadows. They are predominately pointing to the side... the sun was not at your back in these particular shots. Why were you having to change the shutter speed? Was the light changing (clouds?)? Or were you just following the meter? As far as color, it isn't too bad... you can't expect too much during a full-sun game. If you're looking for PP advice, post what settings you used and the application you used. If you have the means to host the raw file somewhere, then posting a link to it would help as well.

Andrew
www.andrewbruckse.com (external link) | Instagram (external link)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 30, 2012 23:17 |  #15

abruckse wrote in post #15188945 (external link)
Look at the shadows. They are predominately pointing to the side... the sun was not at your back in these particular shots. Why were you having to change the shutter speed? Was the light changing (clouds?)? Or were you just following the meter? As far as color, it isn't too bad... you can't expect too much during a full-sun game. If you're looking for PP advice, post what settings you used and the application you used. If you have the means to host the raw file somewhere, then posting a link to it would help as well.

Agreed. On every photo, the shadows are indicating that the sun was to your left, not behind you. Since the players were straight on to you, they're in shadow and their sides are lit. Put the sun behind you and it should clear up your problem.

sponsored links

2,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Drake Women's Soccer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.