Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 06:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Landscape lens for a 1D Mkii

penfolduk
692 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 30, 2012 06:40 |  #1

Hi everyone,

having trouble trying to decide what lens to get that will work well with my 1D, crop sensor with EF only mount, any suggestions?

Been looking at the Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Sigma 12-24 and possibly if I can find one I can afford a 17-40 F4L

What do you think? Any help greatly appreciated

Phil

Fuji X-T3
Fuji 16-80mm F4
Viltrox 56mm F1.4
Wish list as long as your arm! and my arm! and my wife's arm! - you get the idea
Website (external link)

sponsored links
btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 30, 2012 07:57 |  #2

i had both on my 1dmk2. the tokina is a better build, but the 12-24 is nice for the cheaper price. I'd get the 12-24 since you wont be able to use it until the 14-15mm range.

the 17-40 wasn't very magical on that body, it shines on FF though

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2012 11:53 |  #3

I'm not sure about the 17-40 being magical or not on APS-H, but I was quite happy using it on a 1d3. The 17-40 is quite weak in the outer portions of the frame at the wide end, but on APS-H those portions are mostly cut off.

The sigma 12-24 is not that strong of a performer, but it is certainly the widest option with >APS-C coverage.

The Tokina is an APS-C lens, but if I remember right it covers the APS-H image circle from about 13mm and up. If you are ok with the limited range, it is a very high performing lens. Some people complain about flare, but I found that shading the lens with my hand was usually sufficient to prevent flare in all but the worst situations.

So my choice would be 17-40 if you don't need ultrawide, Tokina if you specifically want ultrawide, and the Sigma if you want ultrawide plus the extra zoom range on both ends over the tokina (at a performance cost vs. the other two lenses)

drPheta
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 30, 2012 12:27 |  #4

When I was shooting with the 1D, my choices came down to the 11-16, 17-40, and 16-35. Back then, my other body was a 40D, so I went with the 11-16. Optically, it's superior to the 17-40 and 16-35, and build wise it's on par (if not better).

I was able to use it from 12.5-13mm up to 16 with no vignetting. If I had to boil it down to two lenses, I'd be looking at the 2.8 offerings first.

- my vimeo - (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 31, 2012 11:16 |  #5

Not to seem spammy since I'm selling mine but do not rule out the Sigma 15-30. I found it much better than the 12-24 and on par with the 17-40 (albeit wider but with variable aperture). Its about half the cost of a 17-40. Its a very sharp and capable little lens. No vignetting at any focal length. My only "complaints" were that it doesn't accept filters in a traditional way and has variable aperture so I went back to a 17-40.

samples from my 1D MkIII

if you wonder about colors....

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s4/v65/p1234359328.jpg

if you wonder about sharpness...
IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s4/v67/p1234359340-5.jpg

and just for fun...
IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s4/v62/p1234359286.jpg

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,459 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 31, 2012 12:15 |  #6

When I had only the 1D2, the 17-40mm was perfect for me..... Until I moved up to FF and 17mm became even wider. But still, I've been using 24mm a lot more than 17mm on my 5D2, mostly because the Lee filter kit vignettes like crazy until around 22mm. I didn't buy the UWA slim mount for it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i257.photobucke​t.com …kylines/IY1Y024​6-edit.jpg (external link)

http://i257.photobucke​t.com …d%20Skylines/GM​8T3261.jpg (external link)

http://i257.photobucke​t.com …d%20Skylines/GM​8T3263.jpg (external link)

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

sponsored links

1,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Landscape lens for a 1D Mkii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.