Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Oct 2012 (Monday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Golden hour?

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 29, 2012 16:31 |  #1

Everyone says the golden hour is the best time to take photographs, but I find it the most challenging! There are shadows everywhere and 9 times out of 10 a shadow of me taking the photo ends up in the frame. Anyone have some good pointers for shooting during this time of the day?

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2012 16:40 |  #2

jeljohns wrote in post #15183642 (external link)
Everyone says the golden hour is the best time to take photographs, but I find it the most challenging! There are shadows everywhere and 9 times out of 10 a shadow of me taking the photo ends up in the frame. Anyone have some good pointers for shooting during this time of the day?

The "golden hour" is a great time to photograph because the lighting can often be used very successfully and in a flattering manner. That said, you will still need to position yourself and/or your subjects carefully to take advantage of the light properly. The golden hours are great times to photograph but that doesn't mean it's easy or that you can be any less careful with your techniques. It's great and challenging at the same time :)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 29, 2012 18:49 |  #3

step back and use a longer focal length to avoid shadows

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 29, 2012 23:49 |  #4

how about shooting north or south instead of shooting towards the east. when you facing east, the sun is behind you in the afternoons casting shadows. or you can use shadows to your advantage. google around for some golden hour images to see what you like.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 29, 2012 23:58 as a reply to  @ imjason's post |  #5

Yes..it's very nice light, which is fine if you want a "warm" shot.

Due to my schedule, most of my shooting is in the late-day golden hour. Shadows are longgggg, so i try to shoot from the side/angle.. or get down low.

Kel
Gear

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 30, 2012 01:55 |  #6

I have had the same problems you have with respect to shadows.

I do find the golden hour to be, perhaps, the most beautiful, magical light. But, like you, I also find it challenging.

I really, really don't care for images in which one side of the subject is darker than the other side - I prefer very even light across the entire subject. This is very difficult to achieve when the sun is so low in the sky so as to be just barely above the horizon. In these instances, one is often forced to move off to the side, lest you cast a shadow on your subject. But then when you are moved aside, one side of your subject is apt to be shadowed more than the other.

Many people actually prefer images in which the light falls unevenly across the subject, saying that it gives the image "depth, and dimension". Whatever. I just don't like how it looks (I want my histogram to look like a perfect bell curve). The whole golden hour thing can be frustrating at times.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 30, 2012 02:38 |  #7

http://photoephemeris.​com/ (external link)

TPE can show you the relative position of the sun and moon, any day of the year, anywhere in the world, any altitude. This lets you plan when and where you want to be, very cool for landscape photogs... it obviously doesn't tell you where small-scale shadows will end up being, but that's for you to figure out.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 30, 2012 02:59 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #8

Thanks Kolor-Pikker! I just DL's and installed TPE..and played around with it. Excellent app! :D

Kel
Gear

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 30, 2012 04:47 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15185388 (external link)
Many people actually prefer images in which the light falls unevenly across the subject, saying that it gives the image "depth, and dimension". Whatever. I just don't like how it looks (I want my histogram to look like a perfect bell curve).

I guess it depends on the particular scene/subject...althou​gh I will say this Tom (and I've said it before); your images are stunning - so whatever works for you is worth sticking with!

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 30, 2012 05:11 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15185388 (external link)
I really, really don't care for images in which one side of the subject is darker than the other side - I prefer very even light across the entire subject.

This is funny, because of all your images, the ones I find the best are the ones with uneven lighting :lol:

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,506 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 30, 2012 11:36 |  #11

...There are shadows everywhere and 9 times out of 10 a shadow of me taking the photo ends up in the frame. Anyone have some good pointers for shooting during this time of the day?

Use open space to shot. Take pictures of the object then it is facing the light.

Take your time. You'll get best of the best picture if you observe the place first. Without camera.
And then you would have to wait. Days, weeks. To have best possible light of the golden hour for this particular place.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

ATP
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 30, 2012 11:50 |  #12

OK I gotta ask, WHAT is the issue with shadows in Photography? I hear time and time again about shadow this shadow that!!! Is there a law against shadows? Are we talking about a particular type of shadow?
I personally dont see an issue with shadows. If your work turns out HOT with shadows then great. I seriously dont have an issue with shadows (used correctly)
I shoot A LOT at like 7p during sunsets. YUP, there goes those shadows breaking the photography laws. With or with out shadows I still manage. Dude, shoot what best works for you. (wasnt ranting at you BTW)

Canon 7d and a Bunch of other sh*t
website is down | FB FAN PAGE (external link) |TWITTER (external link)| Flickr (external link)

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2012 12:40 as a reply to  @ ATP's post |  #13

I think it's just a personal preference. I don't like the look of a lot of shadows in my pictures but sometimes in others work it can look great. My biggest beef with the golden hour is that I like to be up close to my subjects and that leads to MY shadow over their face, not a nice look IMO.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 30, 2012 18:02 |  #14

Sirrith wrote in post #15185668 (external link)
This is funny, because of all your images, the ones I find the best are the ones with uneven lighting :lol:

I thought the same thing:D

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 30, 2012 20:03 |  #15

jeljohns wrote in post #15186978 (external link)
I think it's just a personal preference. I don't like the look of a lot of shadows in my pictures but sometimes in others work it can look great. My biggest beef with the golden hour is that I like to be up close to my subjects and that leads to MY shadow over their face, not a nice look IMO.

maybe a reflector or a flash?

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,615 views & 0 likes for this thread
Golden hour?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.