Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the EOS 5D MKii still a good camera buy

Rob-P
95 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 30, 2012 11:49 |  #1

Hi all, I posted earlier in the year about whether I should get a good EF zoom / kit lens for my EOS 350D, then get an EOS 5D MKII body. I had some helpful replies.

My main issue is that I WILL NOT (in the current climate) borrow money to buy an expensive camera. Sorry kids I sold the telly.

I've fancied an EOS5 MKII for a while and I have almost got the cash for it. The bonus of waiting is that it seems to keep going down in price (most unusual) Currently £1490.

I see that they have released a MKIII version of the camera, at a similarly unattainable price that the MKII was, and to be honest I don't think I can justify the extra cost and time taken to save for it.

I would like to know if the majority still think this (MKII) is a camera worth having. (I am old, and barring a LARGE lottery win, I do not think I will be getting another camera soon, so this will have to last me.

The ES350D is 6 years old and has been a great camera, but I'd like to go Full frame. The newly released 6D is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment, seems to also have lots of lights and bells that I may not use.

If I found the MKII eventually limiting I suppose I could part ex, but there are only so many lights and bells I can use.

Uses, Wildlife, Sport, landscape/Architecture Buildings Macro (eventually, more saving) perhaps some Portrait

Any thoughts on this?
Ta. RMcP

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 30, 2012 12:47 |  #2

I would like to know if the majority still think this (MKII) is a camera worth having.

It is and will be for many years a great camera. Past Canon history as well indicates it will be well supported in the future with lenses and accesories that are also backwards compatible.

As to your original question however, is it "still a good camera buy" that depends on the price you find vs. the price you can pay. There are some good buys out there, especially since the MK III has hit the street.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2012 12:57 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #3

It was an excellent body. Still is. Just at a better price now.

It isn't the best solution for wildlife (where a high density sensor of a crop camera can be an advantage) and sports (anything outside of the center AF point can apparently be hit and miss by many accounts) but if these aren't your main subject matter then you'll likely be very happy with it.

You might want to wait for the 6D just to see how the actuall camera performs (rather then just reading people's opinion on how it might perform) but it likely won't be much better than the 5DII for the most part.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 30, 2012 13:02 |  #4

yes, however what will be the primary focus? if its wildlife and sport than no, I'd go with a camera that has superior auto focusing such as the 7D. image quality is on par with a 5Dii.

the 5dii or full frame frame in general absolutely shines in low light and portraits, but iif that's not your focus, you'd be better served with another model.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

dfinn
301 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2012 13:04 |  #5

mike_311 wrote in post #15187047 (external link)
image quality is on par with a 5Dii.

i own both a t2i (same sensor as 7d) and 5d2 and I strongly disagree with that statement

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 30, 2012 13:08 |  #6

I had the same dillema. I pulled the trigger on the II and couldn't be happier, and I upgraded from a 7D.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 30, 2012 13:14 |  #7

dfinn wrote in post #15187053 (external link)
i own both a t2i (same sensor as 7d) and 5d2 and I strongly disagree with that statement

let me clarify my comment, i owned a 60D and now a 5dii and there is a huge increase in IQ for portraits, but when shooting sports i haven't noticed considerable upgrade, now that could be the reach of my lens on the crop was greater or the AF was better on 60D or whatever.

axl_kollar
436 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2012 13:25 |  #8

I think from IQ point of view the 5D2 is a bargain at current prices but if you intend to photograph something moving quickly and suddenly, you might run into trouble. And that's the reason I'm sticking with 1D3. I went for it from 7D and nevere regreted it. I still think of buying 5D2 but can't afford it so I'll be sticking with 1D3 for bit longer.
Also, these days you can buy used 5D2 from good dealers with 6 months warranty for around £1150. And further yet, on ebay from good dealers you can get them closer to £1050 mark...
Bottom line, yes it's a good camera to buy but will it fit your purpose?

new to Canon
1D MkIII + EF24-70/2.8 L USM + EF70-200/2.8 L USM + EF40/2.8 STM + 430EXII|ST-E2
my PBase (external link) --- Grandpa's adventures (external link) --- Living London (external link) --- my Flickr (external link)

Lincolnshire ­ Poacher
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 30, 2012 14:37 |  #9

Are your photographic skills superior to the quality obtainable from the 5D2?

Sorry, I don't mean to combative. The 5D2 is far, far more capable than me. For landscapes and portraits in particular it is top level. If you shoot fast sports or birds in flight for example, then definitely look to the 7D for its greatly superior AF system. However, the 5D2 will make fewer demands on you as a photographer, whilst the 7D will take a considerable time to learn but to me just lacks the sparkle for landscapes.

I am aware that may provoke a response from 7D fans, but as I own both the 7D and the 5D2, I feel qualified to comment.

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 30, 2012 14:39 |  #10

Hi Rob, I am also planning on going FF soon. I think that no matter what you get now, in 5 years or less there will be something new that will come along, that stirs your fancy. So get the best (body and glass) that you can afford and that suits your needs now, and continue to save for the future. You could pick up a slightly used 5DII now, and continue to save and get a 5DII in a year or two. -rick

Rob-P wrote in post #15186782 (external link)
Hi all, I've fancied an EOS5 MKII for a while and I have almost got the cash for it. The bonus of waiting is that it seems to keep going down in price (most unusual) Currently £1490.

The ES350D is 6 years old and has been a great camera, but I'd like to go Full frame. The newly released 6D is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment, seems to also have lots of lights and bells that I may not use.

If I found the MKII eventually limiting I suppose I could part ex, but there are only so many lights and bells I can use.

Any thoughts on this?
Ta. RMcP

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 30, 2012 14:54 |  #11

Rob-P wrote in post #15186782 (external link)
I would like to know if the majority still think this (MKII) is a camera worth having. (I am old, and barring a LARGE lottery win, I do not think I will be getting another camera soon, so this will have to last me.

Rob, I went older even and bought the 5D classic back in January and I couldn't be happier. Image quality is superb and a league above the 40D. Like you I don't have too much money and I didn't see too much difference between the classic and the mk II, not enough to justify spending three times as much anyway. The only significant difference I could see is in the number of megapixels, but the 12.8 on the classic are quite enough for me... :)
So to answer your question, yes, the Mk II is definitely still worth having!

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

dfinn
301 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2012 14:55 |  #12

mike_311 wrote in post #15187087 (external link)
let me clarify my comment, i owned a 60D and now a 5dii and there is a huge increase in IQ for portraits, but when shooting sports i haven't noticed considerable upgrade, now that could be the reach of my lens on the crop was greater or the AF was better on 60D or whatever.

sorry but I fail to see how AF or reach of lens has much effect at all on IQ.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 30, 2012 15:02 |  #13

dfinn wrote in post #15187437 (external link)

quit a bit if you missed focus tracking a subject or cant crop enough to get a suable image of a far away object.

besides its just my opinion, i've used both a crop and FF , i prefer the 5dii, i love it, but if wildlife and sports were my primary subjects, i wouldn't make it my first choice.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2012 16:14 |  #14

dfinn wrote in post #15187437 (external link)

If your only guage of IQ Is depth of field or something then it won't really.

If you miss focus consistently on moving subjects I would argue that it decreases IQ.

Also, if you have to move closer to the subject (which may not be possible, i.e. skittish wildlife or lions and grizzly bears) to get equivalent framing then I'd say that lens "reach" has alot to do with IQ. Not everyone can or wants to shell out for a $5000+ super-tele.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 30, 2012 16:25 |  #15

dfinn wrote in post #15187053 (external link)

I strongly disagree about your statement about someone elses statement about image quality being on par with the 5d2.......

Follow? lol

Cheers

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

4,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the EOS 5D MKii still a good camera buy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.