Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 22:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Colorful Cemetery

Kingnog
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2012 22:55 |  #1

Let me know what you think - does it look over-processed?

I didn't do much, just a *slight* color boost and (maybe over-done?) sharpening. It was a very sunny day. It looks better full-screen.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8140554828_6ec3dde6de_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/60922008@N00/8​140554828/  (external link)
Vietnamese Cemetery 1 (external link) on Flickr

(UPDATED - POST #8)
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8143223197_458dfc31f6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/60922008@N00/8​143223197/  (external link)

sponsored links
jaysen
168 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 30, 2012 23:01 |  #2

Mountain/hill and sky look too "HDR" for me... over saturated. I can see why it caught your attention but I think a different composition or tighter crop on something might better portray it, but im no one :)

Canon 7D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 50mm f/1.4 - 055XPROB sticks - 322RC2 head

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 31, 2012 04:21 as a reply to  @ jaysen's post |  #3

IMHO...a scene that captures your eye is worth some investment of time...wait for better light/better shooting position/etc. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 31, 2012 07:18 |  #4

That is the happiest looking cemetery I've ever seen. Sky is maybe a little too saturated for me.

-- Image Editing OK --

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 31, 2012 09:20 |  #5

chauncey wrote in post #15189738 (external link)
IMHO...a scene that captures your eye is worth some investment of time...wait for better light/better shooting position/etc. ;)

That would have been difficult...since I captured it while traveling by at 40km/h on a motorbike ;)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,860 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 31, 2012 09:37 |  #6

Kingnog wrote in post #15189139 (external link)
Let me know what you think - does it look over-processed?

I didn't do much, just a *slight* color boost and (maybe over-done?) sharpening.

It does look over processed to me.
To me, a "slight" color boost means bumping the saturation slider up two to 4 points. So, if it starts out at 0, then you move it up to 2, 3, or 4. That is slight. Moving it up by ten or more points is not slight, and that looks like what you've done here.

Overall, I do like the image. I just think it would look better if it wasn't processed at all. I'd be interested in seeing the original without any adjustments.

I would also be interested in how this scene would have looked if the image were taken from a slightly higher camera position; say two or three feet higher. Presumably, more of the upper gravestones would be visible. Not sure if that would be better or not, but I'd like to see it to compare the difference in perspective.

Someone commented that this is a "happy looking" cemetery. I couldn't agree more!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ventureon
173 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 31, 2012 19:55 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

love it! simple but the composition and colors do it justice. great job.

www.facebook.com/ventu​reonphoto (external link)

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 31, 2012 20:08 |  #8

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15190368 (external link)
Overall, I do like the image. I just think it would look better if it wasn't processed at all. I'd be interested in seeing the original without any adjustments.!

Here's the original. It really seems to depend what monitor I'm viewing on...I looked at it on my work monitor (which is newer/brighter than the one at home) and it looks very over-saturated. On my home monitor it looks OK. When you compare them side by side, the edited one looks bad.

Someone needs to come up with a color profile standard that ALL monitor and printer manufacturers follow!

Edits were:
+6 saturation and +15 vibrance (still looks OK)
+25 contrast (forgot about that one)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8143223197_458dfc31f6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/60922008@N00/8​143223197/  (external link)
Unedited Cemetery (external link) on Flickr

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,860 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 31, 2012 20:19 |  #9

Thanks for posting the original. It actually looks pretty good. I think warming it up a bit would help - perhaps adding somewhere between 400 and 600 degrees Kelvin would be about right.

The markers themselves looked really good in the first edited version you posted, but whatever you did, unfortunately, kind of messed up the blue sky and the green vegetation. I guess it's all about compromise, unless you want to spend an hour or more doing "selective editing" on the markers themselves.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,548 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Colorful Cemetery
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.