Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 May 2012 (Friday) 21:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate! (Part 2)

BruPri
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 30, 2012 11:48 |  #631

Here's a couple from our trip to a pumpkin patch this weekend. 70-200IS

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links
wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 30, 2012 12:49 |  #632

Nice pumpkin patch shots, someone looks very happy to be there!

Twoshadows, I forgot....I've had a metal print done of a macro flower at 24x36 that's gorgeous! Don't worry about the size holding up, just use the heck out of it! ;)

Did I mention tonality? I've never seen the color tones in a rainbow like this camera shows. Shot with the 70-200 2.8L IS at 200mm. Check out the original, amazing! :)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8139087645_19dc8e0eb6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dbcustom/813908​7645/  (external link)
DBC_October 11, 2012_181144 (external link) by genie in a black box (external link), on Flickr

Dale
1Ds MkII, 5D MkII w/Canon gLass & G1X w/ 250D

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 30, 2012 22:09 |  #633

Cool stuff...pumkin patches are fun...and I never knew that 70% of the US's pumpkins are grown in Tennessee. ;)

I have tons of images...just never know if people get bored of seein' em. So, here's another. :P

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8140483086_dba73fd73b_c.jpg

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,921 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 30, 2012 22:09 |  #634

inthedeck wrote in post #15184468 (external link)
Cool stuff on the past couple of pages. I'm finally sad to say that the camera sold...and will be shipped out in a day or two. Quite the memories I've had, and created, with it. But, it's time to move on. :)

twoshadows, no, I've printed 13x19, and there's tons more room to go. ;)

Thanks for the reply Manish. Greatly appreciated. I do print large often enough - and I like to push it AND I have access to 44" printers - so it is nice to hear. Sorry to hear your selling just as i'm buying, but i do understand the need...

Best,

Ian

wannabegood wrote in post #15186111 (external link)
Twoshadows, in relation to your print size concern just remember, what did the fashion industry use for top-of-the-line photography just a few years ago? When the 1DsMkII was new it was compared favorably and in some instances considered to surpass the Medium Format film camera of the day! I do believe they printed large fashion and this without the benefit of Perfect Resize 7!! :)

True, Dale, true. And I have and use Perfect Resize 7. I'm hoping the AF can handle hummingbirds because there are times it's spectacular to enlarge those little guys. Either way, I'm not counting on it as I use my 1DmkIII for them and am quite happy with the results in print.

You'll find it's color gradations and tonality to be superb, shoot it, print it, check it out for yoursef! 20x30 looks fantastic on canvas, have yet to print a poster sized glossy but need to do that.

I'm doing 20x30s on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308gsm from select 1DmkIII images and they are fantastic, so I can only imagine. If I do crop heavily (I don't often), I generally cannot print that large, so there are limitations to the 10.1mp files of the 1DmkIII. It'll be interesting to see if the 1DsmkII can keep up with the mkIII on hummingbirds. Obviously not on the fps, but the ST-E2 can't do that either so I'm thinking there just might be a way to get it done...AND I have a client looking for a 30x45 on canvas...Hmmm...

If you plan on using it heavily, you might want to look at the battery situ. I bought a used AC/DC adapter body and stripped it, plugging it in to a hi capacity Li-ion pack that sits on my belt for several days worth of shooting. This cost me about $20 more than a new Canon battery from B&H and doesn't self discharge, is ready when I am. I posted some pics earlier in this discussion...will look backward and let you know where that is if you're interested.

Now that I'm mostly retired, I don't anticipate heavy usage on the order of, say, a wedding. If the body works out for hummingbirds which is a dawn to dusk gig, I'll use the DC coupler since I shoot off of a tripod and don't move much for that. Still, it's good to know and I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, so thanks!

Enjoy!

You bet. :)

wannabegood wrote in post #15186342 (external link)
Twoshadows, the pics I posted from the battery conversion are on post 9863 in the first thread....https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=60907​8&page=658 . Definately worth doing if you plan on using it a lot.

I hear ya Manish, the 1DX looks very good indeed! Might have to play the lottery once to get me one ;)

Awesome. You da best!

wannabegood wrote in post #15187010 (external link)
Nice pumpkin patch shots, someone looks very happy to be there!

Twoshadows, I forgot....I've had a metal print done of a macro flower at 24x36 that's gorgeous! Don't worry about the size holding up, just use the heck out of it! ;)

Did I mention tonality? I've never seen the color tones in a rainbow like this camera shows. Shot with the 70-200 2.8L IS at 200mm. Check out the original, amazing! :)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dbcustom/813908​7645/  (external link)
DBC_October 11, 2012_181144 (external link) by genie in a black box (external link), on Flickr

Holy cr@p! Thanks again Dale. Looking forward to getting the body, but have to wait for the city of NY to let B&H into their warehouse, lol.

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, & MLI explained (external link)

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 30, 2012 23:08 |  #635

Manish, how close to dead would someone have to be in order to find pics like that boring? Wow! Might need a NSW warning! lol

Dale

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,921 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 30, 2012 23:17 |  #636

wannabegood wrote in post #15189185 (external link)
Manish, how close to dead would someone have to be in order to find pics like that boring? Wow! Might need a NSW warning! lol

No kidding. Brought some life back to me, lol.

Dale, do you find the outer focus points better on the 1DsII than the 5DII? I mean, significantly so?

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 30, 2012 23:38 |  #637

inthedeck wrote in post #15185695 (external link)
^^I hear ya, Butch. Kinda sad and happy at the same time. Won't be soon till I get my new cam., so, for now I'll be using the wife's 5D for a bit when I need to. Still deciding what to get, for the future.

Any ideas?

The 1DsMkIII's are coming down in price now. Seen a few in my area for sale from $2200 up to around $3K.

That would get you live view, 14 bit depth images and micro adjust for your lenses. Just no high ISO friendliness...if you even need that?

If I was to switch, and I'm not, that's what I'd do.

Nice glam pic there too! ;)

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 31, 2012 05:34 |  #638

Thanks Jeff. I thought about a 3, but, not sold on that one. I'd like to try the video aspect of things, which the 3 doesn't have, otherwise I'd do just that. ;)

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 31, 2012 16:41 |  #639

Yeah Ian, I do. I have had the 5DII for years and never used AI Servo. Now I'm finding AI Servo to be amazing, especially with the 100L Macro. Handheld macro's of budding tree's and flowers and the wind is almost ceaseless here! I really don't expect you to have any issues with your hummingbirds, will be interesting to see what you get.

Manish, a 1DsIII + a 5DII for video? Still several thou cheaper than a 1DX. But then it's not adding up to a 1DX. Never mind.

I do miss MicroAdjust a little though as my 70-200 2.8 IS doesn't seem to be spot on when on my 1DsII. Y'all think I should send them in to CPS for cleaning and calibration? Never used the service before but am Gold member.

And LiveView. But I just turn to my 5 2 for LiveView macro needs, no prob.

Dale

Dale

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 31, 2012 20:06 |  #640

Thought about that too, Dale. But, having two bodies is just too much to handle when I shoot by myself. It would be a pain, honestly.

I even thought of switching to Nikon, for a split second, till I realized that I have way too much glass to make that switch. Plus, some of their lenses are expensive with regard to their Canon counterparts.

Sony just doesn't do it for me...even though some might say it's decent...I'm just not sold on them. And all the medium format digitals are just way out of my price range.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 31, 2012 22:08 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #641

More forgotten technology...taken with 100L macro

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i66.photobucket​.com …ister/VV4G11199​1small.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 31, 2012 22:37 |  #642

I used to have one of those. Cool pic. :)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 31, 2012 23:33 |  #643

inthedeck wrote in post #15193044 (external link)
I used to have one of those. Cool pic. :)

Thanks, Manish!

Good to know I'm not the only one who bought one! :D

Cheers!

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,528 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2012 00:23 |  #644

^^ Oh my, Jeff this is cool....I too had one back in the early 90's and replaced after a couple of years when the laser disc came out then the Mini-Disc. Would you happen to have an MD portable player/Disc..? That was our Ipod back then...have to carry a few discs with your selected playlist while out running. Would be cool if someone has a beeper too hehehe...:)

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,921 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 01, 2012 00:33 |  #645

Bought my sony CD Player in '87 and still going strong with my Bryston amp & pre-amp (which were bought in '83)... :)

Should have the new cam on Friday. :D

sponsored links

481,741 views & 205 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate! (Part 2)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.