Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom speedring sizes, are there different sizes?

k-lo
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 31, 2012 15:24 |  #1

I bought this speedring from OEC Camera in Ebay
http://www.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1497.l2649 (external link) to mount my portalite square 26" softbox from a member at FM.

After wrestling with the damn thing and the softbox I was finally able to assemble them both however I could not get the softbox to look square and it looks crooked no matter how I adjust the rods inside.

Could it be that this speedring is the wrong one? It almost seems a tad too big. Are there other speedrings out there that I should have bought?

Here's the speedring

IMAGE: http://oldenglishchina.tripod.com/spo6el.jpg

Thanks in advance.

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
View my flickr sets (external link)
Check out my Modelmayhem port (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
ted ­ krazonowski
93 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 31, 2012 17:26 |  #2

k-lo wrote in post #15191708 (external link)
I bought this speedring from OEC Camera in Ebay
http://www.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1497.l2649 (external link) to mount my portalite square 26" softbox from a member at FM.

After wrestling with the damn thing and the softbox I was finally able to assemble them both however I could not get the softbox to look square and it looks crooked no matter how I adjust the rods inside.

Could it be that this speedring is the wrong one? It almost seems a tad too big. Are there other speedrings out there that I should have bought?

Here's the speedring
QUOTED IMAGE

Thanks in advance.

I have perhaps 10 differing brands of speedring and they are all within a few millimeters of each other in overall diameter - I do have one softbox which is no longer square - but thats due to a bent rod and nothing to do with the speedring.

the real me (external link)

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 31, 2012 18:12 |  #3

This is the speedring that comes with the 26" portalite softboxes.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

portalite_spreedring (external link) by relicstrat (external link), on Flickr

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

ted ­ krazonowski
93 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 31, 2012 19:15 |  #4

That does look smaller than the speedrings I have which would suggest that the OEM Portalite softboxes can't be used with third party speedrings without madification. Whenever I've had to use Elinchrom lights I never use the portalite boxes (in the kits) as I don't like the quality of the light, I just pull out a speedring fitted with an Elinchrom adapter and use my Multiblitz or other softboxes.

k-lo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2012 01:16 |  #5

ted krazonowski wrote in post #15192118 (external link)
I have perhaps 10 differing brands of speedring and they are all within a few millimeters of each other in overall diameter - I do have one softbox which is no longer square - but thats due to a bent rod and nothing to do with the speedring.

Yeah my softbox looks eff'd up.

shooterman wrote in post #15192269 (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

That is way smaller than the speedring that I got. Anyplace where I can find this? All the speedrings I saw online where the type that I got and does Elinchrom even sell these seperately?

ted krazonowski wrote in post #15192472 (external link)
That does look smaller than the speedrings I have which would suggest that the OEM Portalite softboxes can't be used with third party speedrings without madification. Whenever I've had to use Elinchrom lights I never use the portalite boxes (in the kits) as I don't like the quality of the light, I just pull out a speedring fitted with an Elinchrom adapter and use my Multiblitz or other softboxes.

Hi Ted, what makes the quality of light inferior on these portalite boxes? I might just end up scrapping these and get better ones if i need another speedring.

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
500px (external link)

ted ­ krazonowski
93 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 01, 2012 06:46 |  #6

k-lo wrote in post #15193399 (external link)
Hi Ted, what makes the quality of light inferior on these portalite boxes? I might just end up scrapping these and get better ones if i need another speedring.

No inner diffuser, I find the spread to be rather uneven, plus I like to have a nice deep lip on the front diffuser to control/feather the light if needs be.

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 01, 2012 07:32 |  #7

shooterman wrote in post #15192269 (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I have several of these from old prolinca softboxes, but without the gaps.

They also fit the lastolite ezybox softboxes (and their clones) superbly as well, if you want to use them with eli studio flashes.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 01, 2012 10:58 |  #8

This will give you an idea of how much smaller the portalite speedring is compared to the speedring I use to attach my Amvona softboxes to my D-Lites.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8144966731_bc25c76da3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/11396367@N08/8​144966731/  (external link)
portalite_comparison (external link) by relicstrat (external link), on Flickr

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

k-lo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2012 18:33 |  #9

shooterman wrote in post #15194741 (external link)
This will give you an idea of how much smaller the portalite speedring is compared to the speedring I use to attach my Amvona softboxes to my D-Lites.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/11396367@N08/8​144966731/  (external link)
portalite_comparison (external link) by relicstrat (external link), on Flickr

Thank you thank you! This obviously answers my problem. ;)

500px (external link)

vassil
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 26, 2016 19:23 |  #10

Just a question: What is the diameter of your Elinchrom speedring? I send an image for reference - see the red line.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

4,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom speedring sizes, are there different sizes?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.