Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 10:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding photographers...

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 01, 2012 12:25 |  #16

Pearlallica wrote in post #15194035 (external link)
I can turn the camera off, pull off a lens, put a new one on, turn camera back on in about 7 seconds if need be.

You can save a second by not turning the camera off :D

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
behindtheglass
413 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 01, 2012 12:41 |  #17

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #15195084 (external link)

LMAO!

|Gear list// 500PX (external link)// FlickR (external link)// G+ (external link) //Facebook (external link)// Site (external link)|
"I bet you have an idea for a single photo or a photography series or a behind the scenes video that you have been thinking about for literally years. Turn off your computer and your TV and actually do it." -Lee Morris (FStoppers)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 01, 2012 12:44 |  #18

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #15195084 (external link)

bw!bw!bw!

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 01, 2012 12:59 |  #19

It's true! :D I don't turn my camera off anymore when I swap lens. I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that it doesn't matter if the camera's still on. My 5DM2 still working fine so far :D

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 02, 2012 10:24 |  #20

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #15195183 (external link)
It's true! :D I don't turn my camera off anymore when I swap lens. I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that it doesn't matter if the camera's still on. My 5DM2 still working fine so far :D

LOL! Yeah, I don't know who to believe on that point. I used to never care, then I saw a pro in a photography seminar recommend it. I don't even realize I do because it's become such habit. But hey, if it doesn't matter, I have no problem re-training myself to back to not caring anymore. I'm all for believing in truth.

I wonder if the argument has to do with switching the lens and exposing the contacts to potential precipitation. Sticking to a habit in the event that something might short-circuit. Wedding photography is like juggling 8 balls at once, sometimes. A simple moment of forgetfulness when a light rain starts? Just a theory.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 02, 2012 10:55 |  #21

That might be the case. Who knows :lol:

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 02, 2012 12:16 |  #22

I dropped the 24-70 [mark I], too. Too much distortion, too soft, too heavy. It just isn't a great performer. I think it is the worst performing L Canon has.

35L is usually as wide as I need. Sometimes I will take a couple shots with a 14, but that is at maybe 40% of weddings.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

DanMat
62 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 02, 2012 12:46 |  #23

I rented a 24-70mm a few times and tried to like it and just couldn't. I tested someones 35 1.4 once and fell in love with it and that is what I got. a 70-200 is a must have for weddings, I regret selling mine.

CANON 5D Mark II | 50mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.4L | 135mm F2L
PHOTTIX ODIN | 580EX II | 430EX II

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 02, 2012 13:42 |  #24

Pearlallica wrote in post #15194035 (external link)
i can turn the camera off, pull off a lens, put a new one on, turn camera back on in about 7 seconds if need be.

fyi, you don't need to turn off your camera when changing lenses.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 03, 2012 23:05 |  #25

The only recommendation that I remember seeing (I think from Canon) was to not dismount a lens with IS while the IS was active. Other lenses can be pulled off anytime.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

behindtheglass
413 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 05, 2012 13:57 |  #26

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15199021 (external link)
I dropped the 24-70 [mark I], too. Too much distortion, too soft, too heavy. It just isn't a great performer. I think it is the worst performing L Canon has.

35L is usually as wide as I need. Sometimes I will take a couple shots with a 14, but that is at maybe 40% of weddings.

I noticed your using a 14mm f/2.8 Mark I, not the mark II, hows the IQ on that? I have been wondering if I should pull the trigger on my friends.

|Gear list// 500PX (external link)// FlickR (external link)// G+ (external link) //Facebook (external link)// Site (external link)|
"I bet you have an idea for a single photo or a photography series or a behind the scenes video that you have been thinking about for literally years. Turn off your computer and your TV and actually do it." -Lee Morris (FStoppers)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 05, 2012 14:05 |  #27

I use the 135L and simply back up a few miles. I call it Gator (external link) zoom.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2012 16:00 |  #28

behindtheglass wrote in post #15210162 (external link)
I noticed your using a 14mm f/2.8 Mark I, not the mark II, hows the IQ on that? I have been wondering if I should pull the trigger on my friends.

Not great. The distortion sucks balls.

But I got it super cheap and I don't use it enough to justify the cost of a new one. It is just not a big money maker lens. It is a one-trick pony and generally not worth the investment.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 05, 2012 16:05 |  #29

If you would like a little more reach then the 24-105 is a very capable lens.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

behindtheglass
413 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 05, 2012 16:14 |  #30

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15210713 (external link)
Not great. The distortion sucks balls.

But I got it super cheap and I don't use it enough to justify the cost of a new one. It is just not a big money maker lens. It is a one-trick pony and generally not worth the investment.

Ahhhh got it, so the manual focus Samyang/Rokinon/etc will work just as well then haha!

sponsored links

4,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding photographers...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.