Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is this a craigslist scam

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 02, 2012 00:17 |  #16

You will get a FAKE Paypal invoice telling you the person has paid yada yada. It will say that your money is being held until the item has shipped and that's how the scam works. You wont know because nothing shows in your account as you have obviously not shipped the item. Then once you do ship still no money will appear because the invoice was fake. So you contact Paypal and they tell you they no part in the matter and you were scammed.

sponsored links
Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 02, 2012 00:19 |  #17

eBay sucks, but depending on what you're selling, it can end up producing the best results. Even after their and Paypal's ridiculous fees, the last couple things I've sold netted me the same amount that I would have gotten on POTN. It casts such a nice wide net over those without easy access to other shopping resources, or just lacking shopping savvy.

Neil

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 02, 2012 03:30 |  #18

isoMorphic wrote in post #15197363 (external link)
You will get a FAKE Paypal invoice telling you the person has paid yada yada. It will say that your money is being held until the item has shipped and that's how the scam works. You wont know because nothing shows in your account as you have obviously not shipped the item. Then once you do ship still no money will appear because the invoice was fake. So you contact Paypal and they tell you they no part in the matter and you were scammed.

Similar situation happened with me on Craigslist AND Amazon. Both times the scammer had a fake email claiming to be an invoice from PayPal/Amazon. Soon after that, I pulled both listings and just sold my stuff on eBay.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,836 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 02, 2012 06:35 |  #19

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #15197110 (external link)
I'd say it depends on the wording and tone, although probably a scam. I recently had someone contact me about a Craigslist ad for a lens, asking if I could ship after they paid via Paypal. After emailing them my conditions, they ended up having their grandparents conduct the transaction in person since they live in my town. It sounded sort of fishy at first, but ended up being totally legit.

A vast majority, perhaps in the high 90s, such a contact is a scam. It has been going around for a couple of years now. They will pay a large sum of extra for shipping right up front without you tasking, always via a verified paypal account, but shipped to a friend or relative because they are out of town.

The end result is either a fake email that looks like paypal received the funds and the unsuspecting fool ships the goods out, they pay from a hijacked paypal account, or they pay via a verified account but do a chargeback/dispute.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,836 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 02, 2012 06:36 |  #20

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #15197110 (external link)
I'd say it depends on the wording and tone, although probably a scam. I recently had someone contact me about a Craigslist ad for a lens, asking if I could ship after they paid via Paypal. After emailing them my conditions, they ended up having their grandparents conduct the transaction in person since they live in my town. It sounded sort of fishy at first, but ended up being totally legit.

A vast majority, perhaps in the high 90s, such a contact is a scam. It has been going around for a couple of years now. They will pay a large sum of extra for shipping right up front without you asking, always via a verified paypal account, but shipped to a friend or relative because they are out of town.

The end result is either a fake email that looks like paypal received the funds and the unsuspecting fool ships the goods out, they pay from a hijacked paypal account, or they pay via a verified account but do a chargeback/dispute.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 02, 2012 06:47 |  #21

rick_reno wrote in post #15196979 (external link)
play along with him, have some fun and you'll be eating up time he could be spending on finding another victim.

I've done this before. I've even had a guy send me fake money orders (checked the routing numbers on the internet). I didn't think he'd actually produce payment (even though fraudulent). So I turned him in. The guy gave me an address where to ship what I was selling. I handed it over to the authorities. Hopefully he did some jail time for fraud. I doubt it though.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 02, 2012 07:09 |  #22

gonzogolf wrote in post #15195003 (external link)
Paypal favors the buyer. He could dispute that he got it despite your proof of shipment, and paypal almost always favors the buyer. He could be using a hacked paypal account. Lots of ways to scam, but nobody offers and extra hundred plus legitimately.

Not always. If you're the seller and you ship to the confirmed address and have tracking, PayPal will favor seller. I had instances where tracking says it was delivered but seller claimed they never got it and they didn't get their money. I helped them file a report but that's about it. PayPal may put a hold on those funds while they investigate.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 02, 2012 08:43 |  #23

abbypanda wrote in post #15194926 (external link)
I want to sell my 50d. I have sold lenses on craigslist before: no problem. I tried it there before listing here (still havent yet). Got a contact today from a buyer offering me $125 extra to let him paypal and have me ship it. To be fair my ad doesnt say I wont ship or payment method. His wording put me on the defensive. He mentioned it was a verified paypal acct but just the way he came off was like he was trying to convince me he was legit.

I have reservations, b/c cant he reverse it with paypal after I send it. Would you do this?
I have asked him where he lives, and am awaiting response.

SCAM ! I get these types all the time !

moose10101
registered smartass
1,666 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 02, 2012 08:56 |  #24

abbypanda wrote in post #15194936 (external link)
Ok thanks, I figured so but in the past it was through western union and other forms besides paypal.

You see that when you're the buyer, and the seller is running the scam.

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 02, 2012 13:32 |  #25

I had three scammers like that in one week.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

P1et
386 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 02, 2012 15:09 |  #26

It's fun to troll on scammers though! I would troll on this one for a while and send him a wild goose chase!

Canon 50D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | 580EX II | 430EX | ST-E2

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 04, 2012 00:02 |  #27

again i truly appreciate these responses.

i did list it on ebay.
Out of curiosity what stops a buyer from doing this to me on ebay and saying I didnt send it or something. I've sold on ebay before but not this high of ticket. Should I be concerned?

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 04, 2012 00:08 |  #28

abbypanda wrote in post #15204295 (external link)
again i truly appreciate these responses.

i did list it on ebay.
Out of curiosity what stops a buyer from doing this to me on ebay and saying I didnt send it or something. I've sold on ebay before but not this high of ticket. Should I be concerned?

I'm thinking because there are two layers of protection (eBay/PayPal) rather than just a PayPal invoice. You actually have proof of listing and the tracking system with payments on eBay is probably more protected than it is simply with PayPal alone.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,836 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 04, 2012 02:11 |  #29

CJCMarquez wrote in post #15204317 (external link)
I'm thinking because there are two layers of protection (eBay/PayPal) rather than just a PayPal invoice. You actually have proof of listing and the tracking system with payments on eBay is probably more protected than it is simply with PayPal alone.

No, you still only have one layer, as eBay and PayPal are the same company, and if you file any dispute, you can only do it through one of the 2 venues.

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 04, 2012 02:15 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15204617 (external link)
No, you still only have one layer, as eBay and PayPal are the same company, and if you file any dispute, you can only do it through one of the 2 venues.

Sorry. I forgot how eBay/PayPal are one in the same. However, as a seller, eBay would seem to have more protection over a simple PayPal invoice.

Chad or CJ

sponsored links

1,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
is this a craigslist scam
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.