Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 04:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

the last tripod i'll ever buy?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 02, 2012 09:24 |  #16

The TVC-33 is an excellent tripod. I dithered when buying my 3541LS a couple years ago but the price differential was much greater then; my 3541LS only cost $540. The only obvious difference is the folded length which is why so many people buy 4 leg section tripods.

I have a regular ballhead (Arca-Swiss Z1) on mine, but I've also added a RRS leveling base which IMO is a better design than the Gitzo leveling base. The leveling base is really excellent, it adds weight but it's a godsend on uneven surfaces. Unfortunately the RRS base won't go into the new Gizo systematic line. Just so that you know...

~Peter

sponsored links
airdima
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 02, 2012 10:36 |  #17

peter_n wrote in post #15198374 (external link)
The TVC-33 is an excellent tripod. I dithered when buying my 3541LS a couple years ago but the price differential was much greater then; my 3541LS only cost $540. The only obvious difference is the folded length which is why so many people buy 4 leg section tripods.

I have a regular ballhead (Arca-Swiss Z1) on mine, but I've also added a RRS leveling base which IMO is a better design than the Gitzo leveling base. The leveling base is really excellent, it adds weight but it's a godsend on uneven surfaces. Unfortunately the RRS base won't go into the new Gizo systematic line. Just so that you know...

thanks, i will take that into consideration. although i dont see myself using the leveling base frequently enough to justify its additional weight and cost

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link) || My Blog (external link) (Hebrew)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 02, 2012 10:42 |  #18

airdima wrote in post #15193629 (external link)
hey guys
i'm an avid landscape shooter
currently working with manfrotto 055XPROB and as the time goes by i realize i could use a sturdier and lighter set of legs.
i should note that i work in rather harsh environment, that often involves sand, mud and seawater (or even worse, Dead Sea water and mud which is extremely corrosive)

i've had my manfrotto for almost 4 years and during the past year of intense landscape shooting it's condition really deteriated with most of the paint coming off the leg locks and the leg segments getting covered with minor and not so minor scratches (i do periodically disassemble and clean everything throughfully)

so, at this point i began looking for the last tripod upgrade i'll ever make. i ended up with 2 main competitors
RRS TVC-33 (925$ + shipping)
Gitzo GT3542LS (750$ + shipping)

i also had a couple of runner ups
RRS TVC-24L
Gitzo GT3532LS (in theory should offer better stability at the cost of compactness)

and then theres the new guy on the block. the ridiculously expensive GT3542LOS (the ocean version). i'm really tempted by their claimed maintenance free

i realize that you cant really go wrong with either one. the biggest question is, for someone like me, is the ocean model really worth the price premium? i mean, i could get 2 "standard" 3542 legs for the same price...:rolleyes:

and while we are at it.... theres also the head question. im currently working with Manfrotto 808RC4 and i'm relatively pleased with it, but its fairly heavy and i was wondering if theres a better 3 way head out there that will offer same or better load capacity at less weight (ballheads are not my cup of tea really)

thanks in advance ;)

GITZO is the shizzle i heard

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 02, 2012 17:57 |  #19

airdima wrote in post #15196285 (external link)
See, thats where i'm different :)
for me, the tripod is just another tool i need to get the job done.
i will not take a cheaper model with me just cause im afraid my new expensive toy will get scratched. i could care less about it's resale value, thats why i clearly stated, i want this to be the last tripod i'll ever buy (or at least till i can afford the best without having to save up for it)
i dont mind it having scratches or other "cosmetic" issues, as long as it gets the job done and works as smooth as on the day i received it

i plan on keeping my 055 legs as a backup or for assignments where gitzo's advantages will have less impact.

The GT 1329 Mk2 is not a "cheaper" alternative it is simply an older alternative! It is a proper Gitzo Carbon 3 series systematic, but being the older model is a little heavier and has MUCH easier to clean leg locks. It took me quite a long time to clean sand out of my 3320BS, it takes minutes to do this with my 1329.
Admittedly I got mine very cheap but that only shows that it pays to look around before you buy!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Tommi ­ B
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 03, 2012 04:04 |  #20

I have a Gitzo GT3542LS together with a RRS BH55 ball-
head. Great combination, but there are maybe lighter ball-heads available, when weight is a matter...

regards

flickr (external link)

airdima
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 03, 2012 13:41 |  #21

johnf3f wrote in post #15200190 (external link)
The GT 1329 Mk2 is not a "cheaper" alternative it is simply an older alternative! It is a proper Gitzo Carbon 3 series systematic, but being the older model is a little heavier and has MUCH easier to clean leg locks. It took me quite a long time to clean sand out of my 3320BS, it takes minutes to do this with my 1329.
Admittedly I got mine very cheap but that only shows that it pays to look around before you buy!

Sorry if i offended you, that was never my intention.
My point was, to use 1 support system in ALL conditions without worrying that it might fail me

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link) || My Blog (external link) (Hebrew)

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 03, 2012 14:25 as a reply to  @ airdima's post |  #22

I got to use one of these the other day, awesome tripod, owned by the film maker i'm working with. Wouldn't like to lug it around without a car though :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 03, 2012 14:43 |  #23

airdima wrote in post #15202579 (external link)
Sorry if i offended you, that was never my intention.
My point was, to use 1 support system in ALL conditions without worrying that it might fail me

No offence taken. I assumed that you thought I was suggesting a lesser tripod for rough work. I was merely suggesting a cheaper one to reduce the worry of damaging it and it is so much easier to clean!

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 03, 2012 17:44 |  #24

I have a gitzo 1 series Mountaineer. It was my main tripod for years, supporting my then 1 series and 300 f2.8, 200 f2, and Nikon 200-400. I had the RRS 55 head. I've since gotten the Markins M20 ball head and the RRS 33 ( maybe the 34, not sure at the moment, but its almost as light, way lighter than the 3 series gitzo and the diameter at the top is smaller making a much more compact package. It's a thing of beauty.

If you are concerned about service:

1. Call or email RRS and ask them about their experience serving the good people of Israel.

2. Move to California and you'll be right near them. ;)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 04, 2012 14:23 |  #25

MDJAK wrote in post #15203177 (external link)
I have a gitzo 1 series Mountaineer. It was my main tripod for years, supporting my then 1 series and 300 f2.8, 200 f2, and Nikon 200-400. I had the RRS 55 head. I've since gotten the Markins M20 ball head and the RRS 33 ( maybe the 34, not sure at the moment, but its almost as light, way lighter than the 3 series gitzo and the diameter at the top is smaller making a much more compact package. It's a thing of beauty.

If you are concerned about service:

1. Call or email RRS and ask them about their experience serving the good people of Israel.

2. Move to California and you'll be right near them. ;)

Both of those are heavier than my Gitzo 3530LS (mine weighs 1.75 Kilo). Not knocking RRS as they are probably the best available to the Photographer, but not always the lightest. Pity they are so expensive, mind you Gitzo aren't far behind!

sponsored links

5,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
the last tripod i'll ever buy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.