Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 03, 2012 20:32 |  #76

o.k., so after reading all the stories about the EOS-M here, my daughter and I took a 30 minute ride to West Palm Beach where the Pro Shop had it in stock. I took my S100 with me to see "how they compared" as I see this camera being more of a replacement to my S100 for simple snapshots and the like.

1. This camera is not a replacement for a DSLR - I don't believe it was ever intended to be. It is not even a second body or back up to a DSLR.
2. The touch screen AF does work pretty well. Even my 11 year old was able to use it.
3. While it may not be as fast as other systems or a DSLR (and was not even as fast as the S100 in many situations), the AF with the touchscreen was acceptable for what I would (and what I think most of the users of the camera) use it for.
4. The video mode was very good (in my limited testing) and I can easily see using this at school events, birthday parties or even family gatherings.

To quote Roger at Lensrentals.com

"Will it replace an OM-D or SLR for my everyday shooting? Absolutly not; its AF is too slow and there aren’t many native lenses yet. But will I tuck it in my wife’s purse when we go to holiday parties, and take it on trips for snapshots? Sure. Sometimes those kind of shots are great and with this image quality I could easily make a large print if I wanted to."

Yes, there may be "better" P&S cameras out there and while the EOS-M may not do everything well, the image quality, video mode AND the ability to use my 40 pancake, the 270ex flash and even the 50 1.8 make it a good alternative to a P&S for me.

Now, the question is why is Canon selling better "kits" (DigitalRev and CameraCanada both have better kits than anyone in the US) abroad and has anyone bought from one of these companies and shipped here?

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

sponsored links
SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 03, 2012 20:41 |  #77

I got mine from Henry's in Canada.. yes much better kit ... no problems sending to the US.

Early Adopter

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 03, 2012 20:57 |  #78
bannedPermanent ban

SPDnTRXI wrote in post #15203654 (external link)
agreed... just dont go all high road and how you are out to inform the consumer of both sides... this is NOT what you are doing. As long as you are admitting that. so be it.

it's simple.. dont buy it.. get something else, go to that board and praise it. We are old adult enough to do out own research.. no need to **** a thread like you and camera dude are doing.

Why is it you are so against having both sides of this camera being examined? You praise it for your own reasons, I put it down for my reasons...what is so wrong with this? Does everyone on this board just want to hear the one sided view on this camera or are they adult enough to take input from both sides and make up their own minds?

I shoot Canon and by and large am happy with the equipment. I am waiting for Canon's ultimate landscape camera to match up against the D800...but in the mirrorless arena, from my view, Canon is lacking. That is my opinion on the matter and I don't understand why you are getting your panties into knots over it.

Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 03, 2012 21:23 |  #79

Hogloff wrote in post #15203730 (external link)
Why is it you are so against having both sides of this camera being examined?

I would be curious to hear what you think of this video from Canon's rep:

http://youtu.be/YQ4oX3​OkAoo (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 03, 2012 21:29 |  #80
bannedPermanent ban

Eastport wrote in post #15203796 (external link)
I would be curious to hear what you think of this video from Canon's rep:

http://youtu.be/YQ4oX3​OkAoo (external link)

What he is saying is they basically repackaged some of their existing technology into a smaller package and aimed it at the P&S crowd. I guess that is not me.

I need a viewfinder and better AF. More compact fast glass is also a requirement. Obviously the P&S target does not require these and this camera suits that market just fine. If that is your target, then this camera should fit your needs just fine. I am shooting a little higher for my portable camera system.

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 03, 2012 21:43 |  #81

Hogloff wrote in post #15203811 (external link)
What he is saying is they basically repackaged some of their existing technology into a smaller package and aimed it at the P&S crowd. I guess that is not me.

I need a viewfinder and better AF. More compact fast glass is also a requirement. Obviously the P&S target does not require these and this camera suits that market just fine. If that is your target, then this camera should fit your needs just fine. I am shooting a little higher for my portable camera system.

Naa. As you know this is not a P&S camera and that market is not my target. But the EOS M should suit me for a number of needs right alongside my 5DIII. I thought you might like to see how Canon looks at it. A viewfinder would be nice and probably will show up on the next one. But I am guessing for your needs even that won't cut it. To each his own.

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 03, 2012 22:40 |  #82

SPDnTRXI wrote in post #15203699 (external link)
I got mine from Henry's in Canada.. yes much better kit ... no problems sending to the US.

I just ordered it from DigitalRev $769.00 no taxes or shipping for the EOS-M, EF-M 22 + the EF-EOS M adapter which I think is a pretty good deal since they are selling the EOS-M + 22 for $799.00 and another $199.00 for the adapter here in the states (in my mind it is akin to paying $569.00 for the camera/lens and $199.00 for the adapter).

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 03, 2012 23:59 |  #83

I think I paid 12.95 for shipping.. but no taxes as well.. I got the kit with the zoom lens and the flash and got the adaptor from Amazon earlier.

Early Adopter

FrayAdjacent
196 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 04, 2012 01:17 |  #84

Billginthekeys wrote in post #15198186 (external link)
It is only a matter of someone making it. The flange distance will be shorter than the EOS SLR's, just like other mirrorless platforms, so there is no reason it can't be glassless.

However if you are willing to spend the extra coin for the OMD, I would recommend it, and the adapters are available now. Assuming you want more controls, tilting screen, a high quality EVF, in body IS, weather sealing, fast AF, more lens selectrion, ect. If you want something simple the EOS-M is probably nice, but I think Canon is still a few M releases away from where Olympus is now.

For some reason, mirrorless without a viewfinder doesn't appeal to me much. Too much like a 'snapshot' camera, even if it is very capable. The OM-D EM-5 looks like a very nice camera, indeed. I've read quite a bit about it and found the only thing reviewers say it lacks is autofocus that can deal with a lot of action. I have a 7D, so I can use THAT for action, and the EM-5 for other things.

Still way down the line, tho!

Fray: a usually disorderly or protracted fight, struggle, or dispute
Adjacent: not distant, immediately preceding or following
Canon 7D gripped | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC HSM Macro | Canon 50mm f1/8 II

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 04, 2012 16:40 |  #85

FrayAdjacent wrote in post #15204556 (external link)
For some reason, mirrorless without a viewfinder doesn't appeal to me much. Too much like a 'snapshot' camera, even if it is very capable. The OM-D EM-5 looks like a very nice camera, indeed. I've read quite a bit about it and found the only thing reviewers say it lacks is autofocus that can deal with a lot of action. I have a 7D, so I can use THAT for action, and the EM-5 for other things.

Still way down the line, tho!

That is exactly correct, the E-M5 focuses very fast on stills, and even moving subjects for a single frame, but its tracking focus is very limited so far. Apart from that I would call it a "mini 7D." I bird primarily though, so I let it go, hoping the next generation will improve in that area.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

drew
809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2012 07:53 |  #86

I did a quick video for YT on the EOS M if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=B24YKx15nmM (external link)

7D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | flickr (external link)

JimiJam
103 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 05, 2012 09:35 |  #87

love the video! looking forward to mine arriving.

[Canon 6D, EOS M, 550 EX] [24-105mm f/4 L IS, 70-200mm f/4 L IS, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 50mm f/1.4, EF-M 22mm/2]

drew
809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2012 09:38 |  #88

Thanks JimiJam!

7D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | flickr (external link)

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 05, 2012 10:16 |  #89

Wow...
Some of you must be a pure joy to hang out with at a party...

"The shrimp is too big"
"The champagne is too fizzy"
"The lobster is too red"
"The beer is too flavorful"
"The women are too pretty"

You don't like it, say it once and move on...
Your camera is much better and you're obviously smarter than anyone... :rolleyes:

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 05, 2012 11:08 |  #90

andrikos wrote in post #15209336 (external link)
Wow...
Some of you must be a pure joy to hang out with at a party...

"The shrimp is too big"
"The champagne is too fizzy"
"The lobster is too red"
"The beer is too flavorful"
"The women are too pretty"

You don't like it, say it once and move on...
Your camera is much better and you're obviously smarter than anyone... :rolleyes:

Or, to quote Woody Allen (and others),

"the food at this restaurant is terrible - and in such small portions..."

sponsored links

13,198 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.