Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 30, 2012 17:19 |  #991

nonick wrote in post #15187833 (external link)
Me. I owned it for 2.5 months and I sold it. But I still think it was a good buy and I probably would buy one back if Fuji X1E don't work for me. I was about to invest more to the micro 43 system this September. But I was keep debating after XE1's annoucement. Plus I anticipated that I would be busy till late November. I don't want to let it sit at home while it's depreciating. I decided to sell it before the used price of OMD collapses.

thanks for the insight... technology these days depreciates so fast

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

sponsored links
DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 01, 2012 14:29 |  #992

He's selling them :)

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11624​08 (external link)

DeFinitive wrote in post #15094329 (external link)
Look forward to seeing them. Did your 12-50 get much use? What's your opinion of the kit lens?

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 01, 2012 17:02 |  #993

Well, I bought it for vacation, took the trip, and it has sat at home (as well as all my other cameras) ever since. I am far too busy at work to have two camera systems, especially one as was mentioned earlier that will depreciate as soon as a replacement is announced. That said, it was a 12 day trip, 10 of which on a cruise, and even though I brought my 5D and 7D, they only ever left the ship with me one time. The OMD did great, I put about 4,000 frames on it during the trip, and I have no regrets getting it, but I hate to have it just sitting around costing me money and collecting dust.

If they release an E-M7, or OMDpro or whatever that delivers good action photography performance, and a few high quality tele's like the new Panasonic 150mm (but longer), I could see it entering my kit permenantly. Also, the lenses I chose for the trip I did so for their lightness, compactness, and versatility. If I were keeping it, I would make different lens selections, such as the panalecia 25, oly 12mm, maybe the new 12-35 2.8. Ultimately I primarily bird, so I think I will put the money toward a 1DIV, or something like that, which I can use this winter.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,832 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 01, 2012 18:22 |  #994

Billginthekeys wrote in post #15196053 (external link)
Well, I bought it for vacation, took the trip, and it has sat at home (as well as all my other cameras) ever since. I am far too busy at work to have two camera systems, especially one as was mentioned earlier that will depreciate as soon as a replacement is announced. That said, it was a 12 day trip, 10 of which on a cruise, and even though I brought my 5D and 7D, they only ever left the ship with me one time. The OMD did great, I put about 4,000 frames on it during the trip, and I have no regrets getting it, but I hate to have it just sitting around costing me money and collecting dust.

If they release an E-M7, or OMDpro or whatever that delivers good action photography performance, and a few high quality tele's like the new Panasonic 150mm (but longer), I could see it entering my kit permenantly. Also, the lenses I chose for the trip I did so for their lightness, compactness, and versatility. If I were keeping it, I would make different lens selections, such as the panalecia 25, oly 12mm, maybe the new 12-35 2.8. Ultimately I primarily bird, so I think I will put the money toward a 1DIV, or something like that, which I can use this winter.

It just means you got to do some more traveling :)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 01, 2012 19:04 |  #995

^ now that's good feedback

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 01, 2012 19:17 |  #996

The question, "Can I replace my DSLR/s with Micro 4/3?" has been asked a million times, but the answer always needs to be prefaced by, "What applications do you expect to use them for?"

They aren't going to work for everyone.

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 01, 2012 20:08 |  #997

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15196262 (external link)

I like your style, dude.

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 01, 2012 20:12 |  #998

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15196262 (external link)

If only :p

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 02, 2012 16:57 |  #999

Well I sold everything on FM within 24 hours, so the OM-D definitely still seems to be the mirrorless to own at the moment.

I'll be back whenever the next one comes out.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!

DeFinitive
233 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 03, 2012 22:45 |  #1000

Had another visit to Hong Kong this weekend and bought myself the OM-D, very happy with the purchase so far, carried it around all day yesterday and didn't even notice that it was hanging around my neck to be honest.

I didn't bother with the kit lens, bought the silver & black body with 45mm f1.8, lens hood & grip, now waiting patiently for the 17.5mm f1.8, none of the stores in HK know about it yet.

Suppose I should edit my sig below :D

-Doug-
Canon 70D, Canon 550D (wife), EF-S 10-22, EF 35L, EF-S 17-55, EF 50 f1.8 II, EF 70-200 f4L IS, Speedlite 430EX II. Olympus OM-D E-M5, 45 f1.8, 17 f1.8.
flickr (external link)

Rex914
53 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 04, 2012 01:05 |  #1001

The 17mm is looking promising - rumor is that it'll go for $500 (external link).

It's interesting that in Hong Kong, pretty much every mainstream electronics shop (Broadway, Fortress, etc.) proudly touted it in their windows over the summer, yet back here in the Bay Area, none of the mainstream stores carry it at all.

40D, 17-55, 70-200 4/IS, 60 macro

DeFinitive
233 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 04, 2012 04:20 |  #1002

Rex914 wrote in post #15204537 (external link)
The 17mm is looking promising - rumor is that it'll go for $500 (external link).

It's interesting that in Hong Kong, pretty much every mainstream electronics shop (Broadway, Fortress, etc.) proudly touted it in their windows over the summer, yet back here in the Bay Area, none of the mainstream stores carry it at all.

Everyone seems to be carrying it in HK, I bought mine in Stanley Street, Central, a few decent shops there and all pretty much around the same price, managed to get a few dollars off the package I bought.

They're also carrying the X-E1 and EOS-M, had a play with those also but had my mind set on the OM-D.

-Doug-
Canon 70D, Canon 550D (wife), EF-S 10-22, EF 35L, EF-S 17-55, EF 50 f1.8 II, EF 70-200 f4L IS, Speedlite 430EX II. Olympus OM-D E-M5, 45 f1.8, 17 f1.8.
flickr (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 04, 2012 13:06 |  #1003

Rex914 wrote in post #15204537 (external link)

I'll be first in line if it's $500, but I very much doubt it will be. Build quality is supposed to be similar to the 12mm f/2 and 75mm f/1.8 which are both $899 MSRP. The 12mm has been out for a while and its street price has only dropped to $799. If the 17mm f/1.8 is even a penny less than $699 I'll be very pleasantly surprised, let alone $500.

Heck, who am I kidding. I'll probably be first in line at $899 :lol: This is the lens I've been waiting for to complete my essential set of lenses for m4/3.

m4/3 is huge in Asia. Not so much in the U.S. I've heard it's better in Europe but still not nearly as popular as in Asia. It'd be interesting to find out what factors are involved in that other than marketing or lack thereof.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 04, 2012 14:17 |  #1004

^^ I'm waiting for rebate :).

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,060 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 04, 2012 21:09 |  #1005

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15206003 (external link)
I'll be first in line if it's $500, but I very much doubt it will be. Build quality is supposed to be similar to the 12mm f/2 and 75mm f/1.8 which are both $899 MSRP. The 12mm has been out for a while and its street price has only dropped to $799. If the 17mm f/1.8 is even a penny less than $699 I'll be very pleasantly surprised, let alone $500.

I haven't been following this at all. However, I think there is plenty of room for hope that it will be cheaper. It's only 3mm off from the beloved 20mm 1.7, and is not even as bright. I for one wouldn't dream of paying $800 when the 20 is less than half that, and I think an awful lot of people will feel the same--and the camera companies will know that.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

sponsored links

306,604 views & 0 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.