Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 17:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would the price of 60D drop right away when 70D is released?

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 03, 2012 17:45 |  #1

I was FINALLY able to go to the store and try out the cameras in my hand. 60D felt better than the other one I was thinking of getting.
I hear rumors about the 70D coming out soon.. So I'm just wondering, is there a price drop right away after a new one comes out? Or if the 70D comes out, it would take a few months for the 60D to have a decline in price? I was thinking of getting it through the CLP, but it's still a significant amount of money ($800 body http://shop.usa.canon.​com …uct_10051_10051​_276387_-1 (external link)). I just don't want to feel "rippd off" if in a few weeks or just a couple of months the 70D comes out, and there's a significant drop in price of the 60D:confused:. Or maybe i'm just over thinking this:rolleyes:.

Anyone that used the CLP, how long was the process starting from the day you mailed away your broken canon, and the day you received your refurbished one?

One last question... The 60D's kit lens (18-135) seems a little to big for me right now, so I was wondering if for a beginner would that really be the ideal lens to get, or is there a different "lighter" one that would be better as a beginner lens for the 60D?

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
HyperCams
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 03, 2012 21:51 |  #2

FWIW, I dont think the price will drop much as it is already pretty low...and the 70D will probably come in at ~$1500..(just a wild guess)..

With Canon's track record on "releases", I dont think you need to worry about RUMORS...
Get the camera you want NOW, worry about the next model when it actually comes out..

fwiw, the reason I say this(if not completely obvious) is that Canon "releases" a model, then takes about 3-6+ months to actually SHIP/"release" them... they "ANNOUNCE" cameras, then wait MONTHS and MONTHS to RELEASE them...
Nikon? Announcement is done MAYBE several weeks before they actually hit the shelves..
THis is really my only gripe with Canon..and I think they do it just to keep people on edge and holding out for the newest model...
Just "release" it when it is actually ready for release!! ;)

Also, used 60D's sell for ~$600-650 all day, with very little use....for that amount of $, it is easily worth every penny..again, imho..
I just do not see the prices of 60D's coming down much lower...60D for ~$500 used? I would get one just to have it..great camera, and a lot of camera for the $
just imho..

Get the camera you want, get out and shoot. there will always be another 'latest and greatest' model..dont worry about that. go shoot and have fun :D

I say that, but I too am interested to see what the 70D will bring to the table..
but, it isnt going to effect any purchases I make now, or in the near future..

Cheers!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 03, 2012 21:59 |  #3

HyperCams wrote in post #15203893 (external link)
FWIW, I dont think the price will drop much as it is already pretty low...and the 70D will probably come in at ~$1500..(just a wild guess)..

With Canon's track record on "releases", I dont think you need to worry about RUMORS...
Get the camera you want NOW, worry about the next model when it actually comes out..

fwiw, the reason I say this(if not completely obvious) is that Canon "releases" a model, then takes about 3-6+ months to actually SHIP/"release" them... they "ANNOUNCE" cameras, then wait MONTHS and MONTHS to RELEASE them...
Nikon? Announcement is done MAYBE several weeks before they actually hit the shelves..
THis is really my only gripe with Canon..and I think they do it just to keep people on edge and holding out for the newest model...
Just "release" it when it is actually ready for release!! ;)

Also, used 60D's sell for ~$600-650 all day, with very little use....for that amount of $, it is easily worth every penny..again, imho..
I just do not see the prices of 60D's coming down much lower...60D for ~$500 used? I would get one just to have it..great camera, and a lot of camera for the $
just imho..

Get the camera you want, get out and shoot. there will always be another 'latest and greatest' model..dont worry about that. go shoot and have fun :D

I say that, but I too am interested to see what the 70D will bring to the table..
but, it isnt going to effect any purchases I make now, or in the near future..

Cheers!

Thanks! I'm actually new to Canon, I had no idea that was their marketing "strategy" or whatever it may be. Good to know! I don't feel as nervous about getting a 60D now, knowing there's no chance for a 70D to pop up out of nowhere within 2 months (even though I wouldn't plan to purchase it anyways, just interested in price drop for 60D). And I feel so silly, I called Canon today, and their refurb 60D is not $800, it's less, so that takes some weight off :lol: ).

Cheers!

Cheers,
Nora

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,899 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 03, 2012 21:59 |  #4

Naraly wrote in post #15203182 (external link)
One last question... The 60D's kit lens (18-135) seems a little to big for me right now, so I was wondering if for a beginner would that really be the ideal lens to get, or is there a different "lighter" one that would be better as a beginner lens for the 60D?

Considering the weight of the 60D, why do you think the 18-135 is too big and heavy? It's actually on the small and light side compared to many Canon lenses. The only zoom that is significantly smaller and lighter is the EF-s 18-55mm IS, the entry level kit lens. But it wouldn't necessarily be a better beginner lens.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 03, 2012 22:49 |  #5

mwsilver wrote in post #15203927 (external link)
Considering the weight of the 60D, why do you think the 18-135 is too big and heavy? It's actually on the small and light side compared to many Canon lenses. The only zoom that is significantly smaller and lighter is the EF-s 18-55mm IS, the entry level kit lens. But it wouldn't necessarily be a better beginner lens.

Well I tried the camera at the store with and without the lens, and to my hands it seemed MUCH lighter without the lens. But now I'm remembering that the guy at Best Buy also took the battery off.. so that probably factored in a bit too. It wasn't a big deal having the lens, it wasn't heavy in the way that I couldn't support it in my hand :p, but it did feel like double the weight to me.. I was looking to get a suggestion of a lens like a 50mm for instance seems pretty small and light. I'm just a beginner so at this point i'll take any suggestions for any type of lens, I wouldn't mind not having zoom and just walking around. If 18-55mm really is the best for my first lens then I won't mind the weight, just asking for some suggestions, maybe there's a lighter one I haven't seen :)

Cheers,
Nora

ssmanak
439 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 03, 2012 22:56 |  #6

I would try a ef 28, f2.8 IS lens, rather than a kit zooms.

ss.manak
EOS 6D ii, Canon 24-105f4 L ii, Canon 50 f1.4, Tamron 100-400 f4.5-6.3 VC, Canon 430EX ii, Canon 270 exii

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 03, 2012 23:04 |  #7

FWIW, the 60D has been worth every penny. I bought it used from another POTN member for $600 and it has been great.

As far as lens, if the 18-135 feels to heavy, I would try a shorter prime, like what ssmanak suggested.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 04, 2012 01:17 |  #8

ssmanak wrote in post #15204113 (external link)
I would try a ef 28, f2.8 IS lens, rather than a kit zooms.

I have such a "newb" question, but what is the difference in "IS", "UFM" or lenses that have both? I understand IS is for image stabilizer and I read USM ha something to do with the autofocus motor? But I still don't fully understand, what should I be looking for? Just IS lenses? And any particular difference between EF and EF-s?
Thanks for the suggestion on that lens by the way, I will be looking into it. I definefally want to get a prime lens.

Cheers,
Nora

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 04, 2012 01:29 |  #9

IS basically helps with motion blur from unsteady hands at slower shutter speeds.
USM typically implies a quicker, quieter focus motor.
EF are lenses made for FF cameras but can be mounted on crop cameras.
EF-S are lenses specifically made for crop cameras and often have FL to match the apparent field of view due to the 1.6x crop (30mm prime on crop vs 50mm prime on FF).

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,808 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 04, 2012 01:31 |  #10

The price will drop substantially when the 90D is released.

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

FrayAdjacent
196 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 04, 2012 01:45 |  #11

IS = Image Stabilization
USM = UltraSonic Motor

Fray: a usually disorderly or protracted fight, struggle, or dispute
Adjacent: not distant, immediately preceding or following
Canon 7D gripped | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC HSM Macro | Canon 50mm f1/8 II

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 04, 2012 03:37 as a reply to  @ FrayAdjacent's post |  #12

Pick up a 60D from CPS. It's a wonderful body, that's only limitation( in the crop sector), is AF precision and speed(which BTW is very good).. as well as lack on MFA. It also has features that other Canon crop bodies(including the top-of-the-line 7D) don't, so it's a very well rounded body(yes, some whine about build, but it's very solid, and a large step up from Rebel series.. and really not far-at all. from the 7D.).

70D has been a rumor for at least a year, and i have no doubt will be my next body.. but i expect another year til it hits shelves, but don't foresee a $1500 price(body only... probably around the $1200-$1300 mark(.

Kel
Gear

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 04, 2012 04:26 |  #13

What will the 70D give you that the 60D doesn't, in real terms?

I've always bought gear well into their model lives and put the money saved towards glass. As is often posted on here, cameras don't stop taking great pictures just because there's a newer model.

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 04, 2012 05:33 as a reply to  @ JohnB57's post |  #14

Silly question but is this your first DSLR? The reason that I ask is that my cousin complained to me as well how heavy a 60D with kit lens felt. He was going to return the camera until I asked him to show me how he held it and sure enough, he was holding it P&S style with one hand, only using his left hand to change the zoom and not fully supporting it underneath like he should.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 04, 2012 05:55 |  #15

bw!

xinvisionx wrote in post #15204472 (external link)
The price will drop substantially when the 90D is released.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

sponsored links

7,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would the price of 60D drop right away when 70D is released?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.