Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to get this soft feel?

devon8822
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 03, 2012 18:40 |  #1

There are some Sean Flanigan photos that just have this amazing feel to them, I am learning how to post process lately, and I would like to go for something along the lines of these two photos. They seem soft and faded. The sky seems grey, and the green plants seem deep green. Tips?

http://seanflanigan.ne​t …vscofilm_exampl​es1018.jpg (external link)

http://seanflanigan.ne​t …vscofilm_exampl​es1027.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2012 23:11 |  #2

Well, my guess would be that he shot on an overcast day, used flash to light the subject, used a wide aperture to soften the background, and got just the right exposure to keep a bit of grey in the sky but also to bring out some of the color in the background. I'd imagine that there are not post-processing "tricks" there, just basic touches to round out the "look" he was after...but that's just my guess!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2012 23:16 |  #3

I should add that I'm not an expert in post-processing "tricks" so take what I say with a grain of salt.

One thing I do though with light skies -- I crank down highlights in my Raw processor, which can help to keep/recover grey details as well as bright blue sky, and I'm also pretty free with shadow recovery. In fact, he may have resorted to those tools in these shots. I know that I do with many/most of my outdoor shots as needed!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 03, 2012 23:16 |  #4

The second one may have been shot with a Tilt Shift lens to get the out of focus areas. Otherwise, overcast, good exposure, a bit cool on the white balance, maybe some flash fill, especially the second.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DJCronin28
665 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 04, 2012 00:08 |  #5

I'm no post-processing wizard myself, but I have actually sought after that look myself in the past and found out that by using curves you can achieve this look.. I am not too sure how to describe it- basically it's an s-curve, but you bring up the base level for the shadows/darks and bring down the base level of the highlights. So if you're looking at the curves graph in Lightroom or photoshop, instead of line for your curve starting in the far bottom left, it actually starts about a 1/3 of the way up on the y axis, and likewise the highlights portion of your curves line does not extend all the way to the upper right corner of the graph, but flattens out about a 1/3 or so from the top of the graph- you basically have a compressed s-curve

Canon 1DSII, 7D, bunch of lenses
www.danecroninphotogra​phy.com (external link)
www.beyondtheconcert.c​om (external link)
www.facebook.com/danec​roninphotography (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2012 01:15 |  #6

DJCronin28 wrote in post #15204318 (external link)
I'm no post-processing wizard myself, but I have actually sought after that look myself in the past and found out that by using curves you can achieve this look.. I am not too sure how to describe it- basically it's an s-curve, but you bring up the base level for the shadows/darks and bring down the base level of the highlights. So if you're looking at the curves graph in Lightroom or photoshop, instead of line for your curve starting in the far bottom left, it actually starts about a 1/3 of the way up on the y axis, and likewise the highlights portion of your curves line does not extend all the way to the upper right corner of the graph, but flattens out about a 1/3 or so from the top of the graph- you basically have a compressed s-curve

I'm not a "curves expert", but isn't that basically what I said about pulling down the highlights and bring up the shadows"? Of course you mess with the midtones as needed...

Tony

DJCronin28
665 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 04, 2012 09:26 |  #7

Oh, sorry Tony- Yes and no, I am not sure if it works quite the same by pulling the shadows up and bringing down the highlights with the sliders. I know for sure by using a tone curve and essentially clipping highlights and shadows and adjusting that you can achieve the "faded" look.

DJCronin28
665 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 04, 2012 09:35 |  #8

Oh and if you don't quite feel comfortable with curves and don't mind spending a little bit of money, I was referred to the VSCO Film Pack 1 by a very well renowned surf and lifestyle photographer- Essentially VSCO went and replicated many Kodak and Fuji Film types for both Canon and Nikon digital cameras AND included another list of presets they call their "toolkit." In their tool kit they include 2 or 3 different levels of Fade like you are asking about. I bought this pack and am really impressed with it and I generally am not a fan of most presets as they don't seem to translate well over a variety of images.
Here is their site: http://visualsupply.co​/film/ (external link)

Hope that helps you out and let me know what you think of those presets!

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 04, 2012 10:40 |  #9

Lots of vingetting going on in those images.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

sponsored links

1,813 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to get this soft feel?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.