Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 17:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would the price of 60D drop right away when 70D is released?

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 04, 2012 06:03 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

I have been using a 60D for about 18 months. When I first got it, it felt 'big'. I have grown accustomed to it. I just sold off my T1i because I couldn't see going back to a Rebel. They are fine cameras. I just prefer the controls and feel of the 60D. Once I carried it around all day with a 100-400L on it, it feels just about right with the 15-85 mounted. I am now trying to get a 5Dc, or maybe a 5D2. I am sure that will feel 'big' too, until I get used to it. Good luck.

BTW, get the 60D. You'll love it.

Gear List

sponsored links
Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 04, 2012 10:35 |  #17

xinvisionx wrote in post #15204472 (external link)
The price will drop substantially when the 90D is released.

Hahahaha

Dude, get it and be happy. I really like mine.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 04, 2012 11:18 |  #18

Naraly wrote in post #15203182 (external link)
Anyone that used the CLP, how long was the process starting from the day you mailed away your broken canon, and the day you received your refurbished one?

One last question... The 60D's kit lens (18-135) seems a little to big for me right now, so I was wondering if for a beginner would that really be the ideal lens to get, or is there a different "lighter" one that would be better as a beginner lens for the 60D?

I bought a Canon 7D through the CLP. You do not have to ship the old camera in order to get the refurbished one. You can ship the old one later, or, do as I did and not at all!

As I recall, shipping took about 2 days from when I placed my order.

If you want a small and light lens, have a look at the new 40 mm f/2.8, which is Canon's smallest and lightest in the EF, EF-S line-up. Otherwise, look at the EF-S 18-55 IS.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2012 12:33 |  #19

No reason to worry about it. Even if the 70D did come out right after, you would be paying a lot more. If you buy the 60D now through the CLP, then later sell it when you can get a 70D throught the CLP, the difference would still be the same if not actually slightly in your favor.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 04, 2012 15:58 |  #20

I am glad for the heft of the 60D, when you get into more serious lenses like the 17-55 or the 70-300L (which are actually not all that heavy compared to others), the extra weight in the back helps balance everything. You need to support the weight of the lens with your left hand and not make your right hand hold it all.

No one is sure what Canon is doing with the 70D, they have released a ton of cameras this year and you would think that if Canon was coming out with the 70D any time soon they would have released it before now as the holidays are coming up and the XXD line is a consumer camera. It is possible that the 70D will essentially replace the 60D and the 7D and come in at a higher price point, no one knows for sure.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,911 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 04, 2012 16:21 |  #21

Keyan wrote in post #15206543 (external link)
It is possible that the 70D will essentially replace the 60D and the 7D and come in at a higher price point, no one knows for sure.

That's been my thinking. I'm guessing the new model will meld aspects of both cameras in a body closer in size to the 60D with a poly or mixed poly and magnesium body...and without the joy stick since its already missing from the 6D. I'll also bet it will have fewer AF points than the 7D. After all the brand new higher level 6D only has 11 AF points. I'm also guessing a new 20MP sensor. If I'm correct, then any new 7D's still out there will still be very desirable and will not be discounted.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

paddler4
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 04, 2012 16:42 |  #22

The real answer is that no one has a clue what will come out next, whether it will be a replacement for the 7D, a replacement for the 60D and the 7D, or a replacement at some point just for the 60D. In any case, it seems not to be imminent, so unless you want to wait a long time--I'd guess well into the spring--you might as well make your choice now.

Over the past few years, Canon has split the 'prosumer' level into two levels. The lower level is the 60D and the 6D, which are paired with the higher-level 7D and 5DMkIII for crop and FF, respectively. Maybe they will keep this split for both formats. Or maybe they will keep it for FF only. Who knows?

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2012 16:58 |  #23

mwsilver wrote in post #15206634 (external link)
That's been my thinking. I'm guessing the new model will meld aspects of both cameras in a body closer in size to the 60D with a poly or mixed poly and magnesium body...and without the joy stick since its already missing from the 6D. I'll also bet it will have fewer AF points than the 7D. After all the brand new higher level 6D only has 11 AF points. I'm also guessing a new 20MP sensor. If I'm correct, then any new 7D's still out there will still be very desirable and will not be discounted.

There's a lot of debate on this and the one thing I want to point out is that there is still plenty of room for two crop bodies above the rebel. Just an ISO improvement up ti 51,200 and 10fps, micro focus adjustment and the 1DX AF/metering system would leave a wide gap.

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 04, 2012 17:13 |  #24

What type of images do you intend to take with a 60D and 18-135 lens? The 60D is already creeping towards a semi proffessional camera but the 18-135 lens although a nice focal range, is what i would call a beginner lens.
how about a constant wide aperture zoom lens like the tamron 17-50? Or why not consider the 650D with its much faster live view focusing speeds?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2012 17:28 |  #25

http://www.canonrumors​.com …rk-ii-rumors-surface-cr1/ (external link)

"the (7DII) camera would take place of the 7D and the 60D".

Glenn

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 04, 2012 17:46 |  #26

Glenn NK wrote in post #15206862 (external link)

Glenn

CR1... so i wouldn't make any decisions based on this.

Kel
Gear

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2012 18:05 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #27

Yeah. There was a CR1 mentioning eye control AF as well. :-)

mixednuts
96 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 04, 2012 18:31 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #28

i recently picked up a used 40D w/grip for $425. Bought a used 17-55is and a used 70-200 2.8 non-is. Bodies depreciate. Good glass doesn't. I'm jonesing for a 5D3 and a Tamron 24-70VC. I will sell the 40D and 17-55 for what I bought them for, easily.

Buy a used XXD and some used quality glass. If you appreciate and use it, you will be immediately ahead of the upgrade game. If you don't you can sell used and prolly lose nothing= free trial version. Trust me. I

7D, 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 2.8, Sig 30 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 580EX2, Yong Nuo 568, Yong Nuo 622x3
A day without sunshine is like night.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,911 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 04, 2012 18:52 |  #29

Glenn NK wrote in post #15206862 (external link)

Glenn

That's funny. I hadn't seen the link when I made my predictions in my post above. I wonder now about the other things I suggested.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 04, 2012 20:55 |  #30

CJCMarquez wrote in post #15204468 (external link)
IS basically helps with motion blur from unsteady hands at slower shutter speeds.
USM typically implies a quicker, quieter focus motor.
EF are lenses made for FF cameras but can be mounted on crop cameras.
EF-S are lenses specifically made for crop cameras and often have FL to match the apparent field of view due to the 1.6x crop (30mm prime on crop vs 50mm prime on FF).

Thank you! All the different lens names make a lot more sense now.

JohnB57 wrote in post #15204780 (external link)
What will the 70D give you that the 60D doesn't, in real terms?

I've always bought gear well into their model lives and put the money saved towards glass. As is often posted on here, cameras don't stop taking great pictures just because there's a newer model.

Well I don't plan to purchase the 70D even if it comes out. I might have not worded my post right, sometimes I even confuse myself =p or maybe I didn't understand your response, but I don't plan on purchasing a 70D. I was just asking about the price of the 60D, thinking that if I got the 60D after the 70D is released, it would be cheaper. But from the responses I've been getting, I'm just going to get the 60D and not wait for a "maybe":cool:.

TMaG82 wrote in post #15204865 (external link)
Silly question but is this your first DSLR? The reason that I ask is that my cousin complained to me as well how heavy a 60D with kit lens felt. He was going to return the camera until I asked him to show me how he held it and sure enough, he was holding it P&S style with one hand, only using his left hand to change the zoom and not fully supporting it underneath like he should.

It is my "official" first DSLR:o. I've used a T2i before, but this one is going to be one that I can actually call "mine" and use for more than just a few weeks. Well now I don't know if I'm holding it right. I hold up most of the weight with my right hand, and I use the fingertips on my left hand to hold it up a little more and stabilize it. I'm probably not distributing the weight on both sides equally:confused:.

xinvisionx wrote in post #15204472 (external link)
The price will drop substantially when the 90D is released.

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15205682 (external link)
I bought a Canon 7D through the CLP. You do not have to ship the old camera in order to get the refurbished one. You can ship the old one later, or, do as I did and not at all!

As I recall, shipping took about 2 days from when I placed my order.

If you want a small and light lens, have a look at the new 40 mm f/2.8, which is Canon's smallest and lightest in the EF, EF-S line-up. Otherwise, look at the EF-S 18-55 IS.

Wow! And they don't "do" anything if you don't send the broken Canon at all? I called and they said I would receive it in about five days after ordering:D. I'm just holding off a few days to get enough money. Hopefully in time for my birthday:cool:.

boerewors wrote in post #15206810 (external link)
What type of images do you intend to take with a 60D and 18-135 lens? The 60D is already creeping towards a semi proffessional camera but the 18-135 lens although a nice focal range, is what i would call a beginner lens.
how about a constant wide aperture zoom lens like the tamron 17-50? Or why not consider the 650D with its much faster live view focusing speeds?

I actually don't know what type of subjects I'll be focusing more on. I think at first I want to shoot different types of things, animals, people, portraits, candid, landscapes, children, and after I get comfortable with the camera I'll probably just pick a certain type of photography to purchase nice lenses for as I get a little better. I think my top interests that I must photograph are my dog in action, people portraits, and people candid shots on the city.

I just looked up that lens in google, and I got prices of $500-$600, that seems quite pricey to me:eek:. I was hoping to get something around $100:oops:. And I was considering the T4i alongside this one. It was really stressful trying to decide, and I just opted for the 60D because I like that it has two dials and the top screen, it just seemed more convenient. And I can get it refurbished for cheaper so that helps a lot.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links

7,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would the price of 60D drop right away when 70D is released?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.