Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 06:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you organize your files?

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2012 16:00 |  #16

Plumtreelad wrote in post #15202743 (external link)
Lowner, just to lcarify, you go straight from camera/card reader to External hard drive and then copy across to DPP (presumably in RAW) those that you select for editing etc. Once you have edited do you convert to Jpeg and save on computer hard drive or do you have directories on external drive?

As I said in the post above this, I have directories in the external drive. I NEVER save anything into the computer hard drive in case it ever gets a virus or gets destroyed. I do however, backup my external to another external. yeah it costs $, but I'd rather pay an extra $150 for another hard dive instead of lose thousands of memories collected from over 10 years ago.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2012 22:32 |  #17

Lowner wrote in post #15193730 (external link)
Unlike fashionrider, my RAW's go straight into my "Raw storage" file in the external hard drive using the same folder they arrived in. I don't find any difference in time uploading into DPP from there compared to the internal hard drive, if there is a difference its tiny.

Plumtreelad wrote in post #15202743 (external link)
Lowner, just to lcarify, you go straight from camera/card reader to External hard drive and then copy across to DPP (presumably in RAW) those that you select for editing etc. Once you have edited do you convert to Jpeg and save on computer hard drive or do you have directories on external drive?

If I'm correct, what Richard/Lowner is saying is that he puts the Raw files in his external drive and then uses DPP to open and process them right from the external drives, and hasn't noticed performance/speed issues. As to where he stores images that he's edited, well he doesn't say in this comment.

What I do is bring my Raw files into an internal "data" drive, creating a folder specific to a shoot including a date and description. I rarely go beyond Raw processing and then I export chosen images to jpegs -- these go right onto an external "library" drive using the same folder names, specifically for uploading to my host PBase. Occasionally I'll "publish" to Facebook, these are typically different from my PBase uploads because I like to take advantage of the Facebook "Full Screen" feature that displays a larger image than the ones I upload to PBase. Those I keep to the POTN limit of 1024 pixels at the widest/tallest, whereas the Facebook ones I size to 11600 pixels at the widest and about 1024 at the highest, which height matches my screen resolution.

Jpegs that I use for prints are sized for my desired print size and resolution/ppi and saved separately.

Some people routinely delete the jpegs once they've posted or printed them, but I haven't bothered to. I like to keep them as an archive and as a quick reference.

So, an image may have three "Master folders" for jpegs, for example, "2012 PBase", "2012 Facebook" and "2012 Prints". And then, the subfolder for the actual images would use the original folder name for the shoot.

And then, after my short-term work, I move the actual folder/Raw images into the external drive, into another "parent", "2012 Shoots".

But note that I have technology that is a few years old. I use the internal drive to minimize performance issues, but newer technology is getting very nice performance-wise!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 04, 2012 03:27 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #18

Tonylong, thanks, That is clear and very straightforward. Looking forward to a bit of organisation from now on!
By the way, visited your Pbase site and thoroughly enjoyed browsing through some of the galleries.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2012 13:01 |  #19

Plumtreelad wrote in post #15204697 (external link)
Tonylong, thanks, That is clear and very straightforward. Looking forward to a bit of organisation from now on!
By the way, visited your Pbase site and thoroughly enjoyed browsing through some of the galleries.

Hey, David, thanks for the compliment! I've been swamped with personal matters lately, I've had to downsize and move, and now get settled into new "digs", and so haven't gotten out to photograph, and in fact there is a lot of work from this summer that I haven't gotten on to PBase, but hey, I'm glad you enjoyed what was there! Feel free to leave a comment if you like something and say "Hi!" -- it's always nice to hear from a fellow POTN photog!

And, hey, I checked out your site, you have some nice work, I especially liked a lot of your sports shots, some nice close action shots!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,987 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 04, 2012 13:26 |  #20

I'm using LR4.1 on a Dell laptop with 3gig RAM running Vista. The 250G HDD is running around 30G free space. I find no difference between editing files on the internal drive and my external drive. I have to admit the catalouge files are stored on the external drive (USB2). I find LR performs about as fast as DPP on my system. Yes it can be slow,xand recently I have been getting some out of memory errors, but then the whole system has started to become very flaky recently. I'm in the middle of moving home, once thats done a full system reinstall is top of the list.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 04, 2012 16:19 |  #21

tonylong wrote in post #15205989 (external link)
Hey, David, thanks for the compliment! I've been swamped with personal matters lately, I've had to downsize and move, and now get settled into new "digs", and so haven't gotten out to photograph, and in fact there is a lot of work from this summer that I haven't gotten on to PBase, but hey, I'm glad you enjoyed what was there! Feel free to leave a comment if you like something and say "Hi!" -- it's always nice to hear from a fellow POTN photog!

And, hey, I checked out your site, you have some nice work, I especially liked a lot of your sports shots, some nice close action shots!

Coming from you, that is praise indeed. I have only been doing sports photography for about a year so still in the foothills but enjoying it. Will be posting a lot more on Flickr soon and developing my web site. Hope your personal matters are behind you now and you can concentrate on photography.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Nov 04, 2012 17:44 as a reply to  @ Plumtreelad's post |  #22

I'm just an amateur - jpg only. Use 2 external HDD.

Master Transfer
- Animals
- Artwork
- Basketball
- Misc
- Nature
- People
- Places
- Things

In each main topic folder I have sub-folders titled "Subject YYMMDD" ... or in the case of people, Name, then sub-folders YYMMDD

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

g_ngan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 05, 2012 20:25 as a reply to  @ bubbygator's post |  #23

Thanks for all the input guys. I do have several external HDD laying around but i like to keep all my photos in my MacBook Pro. What I am doing now is partition my Time Machine 2TB HDD into 1.5GB for TM and 500GB for manually back up my photos.

I think i will just put all the RAWs to external and leave the edited jpg in the internal HDD. Here's the question though: when you import those RAWs to LR then move it to an external HDD. Wouldn't LR not be able to locate the file?

I actually like the idea of backing up the external HDD (i'm a bit paranoid. lol). Do you just copy everything over once per week or is there an app for that? I like using TimeMachine cause it automatically backs up so i don't have to worry about forgetting things but it only works for MacBook Pro backing up to external HDD.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2012 06:57 |  #24

g_ngan wrote in post #15211679 (external link)
when you import those RAWs to LR then move it to an external HDD. Wouldn't LR not be able to locate the file?

Move them using LR:

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20110316-fpqwwmnt3uq828k4p46sbnhtkm.jpg

(or use "find missing image"/"Find missing folder" afterward) and LR will be happy.

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20100610-bsmq7uje81s712qxd2p3uhr2b4.jpg

Some related reading:
https://photography-on-the.net …Find+missing#po​st14150710
https://photography-on-the.net …Find+missing#po​st13674936
https://photography-on-the.net …Find+missing#po​st13381097
https://photography-on-the.net …Find+missing#po​st13249549
https://photography-on-the.net …Find+missing#po​st13144510

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

4,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you organize your files?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.