Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T1i upgrade to 50d or 7d?

asc11
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 01, 2012 22:39 |  #1

I have a T1i that I have had for nearly 3 years now and it has produced some spectacular images. I would like to upgrade the body to something with micro adjust as I have noticed my Sigma 17-50 is back focusing. I know I could send it back to Sigma but I think I would rather have the micro adjust so I can make sure all of my lenses are spot on.

I would like to stay with crop so I don't have to upgrade lenses as well. The only options I have found are the 50D and the 7D. I mostly photograph my 2 year old and family shots. I only shoot in jpeg as I don't have time for post.

I don't know if I should jump straight to the 7D for the advanced auto focus and upgraded sensor but I have heard that the jpegs aren't as sharp. The 50D is about half the price but would I be missing out? Is the 7D that much better?

sponsored links
DarkPhantom
356 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 01, 2012 23:34 |  #2

http://snapsort.com …n_EOS_50D-vs-Canon_EOS_7D (external link)

I've been debating the same thing as I've got the 500D as well, probably going to look at the upcoming 70D (if and when it is released).

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 02, 2012 00:01 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Neither the 50D nor the 7D will do what you want. The only cameras Canon makes that can properly do MFA on a zoom lens are the 5D3, 1Dx and the upcoming 6D. You may be wasting your money if that is the only reason for upgrading. I had a 135L that front-focused on my T1i, but not on my 60D. The 60D AF system is also HUGELY better than that of the T1i. The 60D is a newer model than both the 50D and the 7D. I suggest at least considering it. The 5D3 is the least expensive option to accomplish your goal of using MFA on a zoom, and getting good results on both ends.

Gear List

asc11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 03, 2012 00:14 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #4

Please excuse my ignorance. I am just starting to really get into photography.

I thought the 50D and 60D shared the same 9 cross type autofocus system? I understand the metering is different but that shouldn't affect focus. Is that correct?

I know the MFA isn't going to be perfect but it has to be better than not having it. Is the 60D's auto focus really that much better? Surely it isn't better than the 7D? Can anyone else comment on the 60D's focus?

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 03, 2012 06:54 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I don't know if asc11's comments were directed at me or not, so here goes. Yes, 50D and 60D have the same AF system, physically. I believe, as do some other crazy people, that the 60D's AF software has been improved. Take that with a seriously large grain of salt. In my previous post I was only claiming that the 60D's AF capabilities are HUGELY better than the T1i. I never shot a 7D, but the AF systems of the 7D and 60D are not even from the same planet. The 60D is a very nice body. The only thing I don't like about mine is the (Oh, GOD! Here he goes again!) stupid flippy screen thing. You, however, may enjoy that feature.

Gear List

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 03, 2012 08:46 |  #6

@OP, you really should send the lens in for calibration.

There is a general trend in Canon cameras- the later the model- the better their AF systems perform compared to earlier models in the line. It should not surprise anyone- with every year that goes by, the engineers continually research how to make their AF systems better, faster, and more accurate.
The 60D has a good reputation for fast, accurate autofocus, despite the lack of MFA.
I used to have a t1i.. Moved onto a 7D- compared to the t1i- it was fabulous- night and day difference. The move to the 5D3- wow.. It seemed more accurate than the 7D was. Got the T4i- and even that seemed more accurate than the 7D was.. Should not be a surprise either- both of the newer bodies- were newer by a few years... Reality- the bodies are probably just more "normal"- closer to spec than what they were making years back.. You may very well find that moving to a different, newer body- might work better with your lenses- MFA or not. For just the MFA feature- I think I would send the lens in for calibration otherwise.. If I wanted the other features - all cross type AF points, larger body, better viewfinder, more controls, .... - then switch bodies.. And then try your lenses on it- send it in for calibration if you need to.. But if my only thing was MFA- I would not upgrade the bodies- especially for a single lens.

With any body, if your output is jpeg, adjust your picture style by bumping up things like sharpening, contrast, etc to your liking within the picture style itself.

I would suggest buying a body based upon what features you need or want , but I would also temper it with a bit of sense as well. What would a 7D give you over a 50D ? Faster FPS. Slightly more megapixels to crop from if you need it. Slightly better low light performance. More AF points to select from.. More modes for AF selection.. Video features. If you find no features that you care for- heck- save the money- and go for the 50D. I am not sure which CF cards the 50D supports up to- so you will probably want to find out before you buy the too big of a CF card though. .. Personally, I've never used larger than 32G on my 7D though.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

ebiggs
640 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 03, 2012 08:49 |  #7

asc11 wrote in post #15197090 (external link)
I have a T1i that I have had for nearly 3 years now and it has produced some spectacular images. I would like to upgrade the body to something with micro adjust as I have noticed my Sigma 17-50 is back focusing. I know I could send it back to Sigma but I think I would rather have the micro adjust so I can make sure all of my lenses are spot on.

I would like to stay with crop so I don't have to upgrade lenses as well. The only options I have found are the 50D and the 7D. I mostly photograph my 2 year old and family shots. I only shoot in jpeg as I don't have time for post.

I don't know if I should jump straight to the 7D for the advanced auto focus and upgraded sensor but I have heard that the jpegs aren't as sharp. The 50D is about half the price but would I be missing out? Is the 7D that much better?

There is only one reason to NOT upgrade to a 7D. The 7D is a wonderful camera but it is heavy. Much heavier than the Rebel series cameras. That is one reason why my Xti w/35mm f2 is my constant companion. But the 7D is miles ahead of any Rebel series. But than again I don't think it is going to improve your situation if the reported use you stated is all that is required.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

tomj
675 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 03, 2012 09:04 |  #8

I went from a 350d to a 50d to a 7d. I was very happy with the 50d - the only reason for going to the 7d was the improved autofocus for birds in flight. If you aren't shooting a lot of sports, flying birds, or other fast action, and aren't looking for video, I think the 50d would be fine.

Flickr (external link)

asc11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 04, 2012 18:31 as a reply to  @ tomj's post |  #9

I appreciate all of your replies. I am leaning towards the 7D at this stage as I intend to keep it for quite some time. My son is very active and I expect that he will start getting into sports. I think the AF will be quite advantageous for that. I think that if I went down the path of a 50D/60D/T4i I would want to upgrade again at some stage for the AF.

Currently if my wife wants to take photos she just puts the camera on full auto and away she goes. Is the 7D the sort of camera that she could do this with or would the 60D be a better option?

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 05, 2012 04:28 |  #10

asc11 wrote in post #15207042 (external link)
I appreciate all of your replies. I am leaning towards the 7D at this stage as I intend to keep it for quite some time. My son is very active and I expect that he will start getting into sports. I think the AF will be quite advantageous for that. I think that if I went down the path of a 50D/60D/T4i I would want to upgrade again at some stage for the AF.

Currently if my wife wants to take photos she just puts the camera on full auto and away she goes. Is the 7D the sort of camera that she could do this with or would the 60D be a better option?

I don't know about the 60D auto mode but if you're shooting a lot of sports getting the 7D makes sense

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 05, 2012 12:55 |  #11

asc11 wrote in post #15207042 (external link)

I would expect similar results from these 2 cameras in full auto mode. There are 2 pitfalls with all Canon EOS DSLRs when shooting full auto:
1) Strange or unexpected auto-focus results. The camera is going to choose to focus on the closest object with sufficient contrast for the AF system. The object selected by the camera may or may not be the desired subject in the photo.
2) "Evaluative Metering". In full auto mode the camera automatically selects Evaluative Metering which emphasizes the exposure metering about the selected AF point. As noted above, the AF point selected by the camera may not be the intended subject in the photo and the resultant metering could reflect the camera's AF point selection, and not necessarily the metering needed for the intended subject of the desired photo.

In summary, full auto shooting with either camera is a crapshoot. It is much better to select "P" (Program) mode and learn how to select and use the camera's focus points.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

FrayAdjacent
196 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 05, 2012 18:57 |  #12

I went from a 550D to a 7D recently, and LOVE IT.

It's bigger and heavier, but the 550D always felt small-ish in my hands. Heavy lenses caused the bottom right corner to press into my hand leaving it feeling bruised. A cheap battery grip helped a ton.

Yesterday I was at the 'rents house for my nephew's birthday. He and my niece hardly sit still, but with my 7D and 50mm f/1.8, I was able to get some pretty good shots of them.

I am quite impressed with the 7D's performance when it comes to autofocus. It's generally a TON faster and more accurate than the 550D. The framerate will be very nice for use at the F1 race here in a couple weeks.

Given you can find used 7Ds in great condition, I think they are a great upgrade path for those of us that can't afford $3k for something like a 5DmkIII.

Fray: a usually disorderly or protracted fight, struggle, or dispute
Adjacent: not distant, immediately preceding or following
Canon 7D gripped | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC HSM Macro | Canon 50mm f1/8 II

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2012 23:36 |  #13

The weight won't be a concern for everyone, though a lot of people think the difference between the 7D and a smaller body is a deal-breaker. I went from a 550D to a 1D3, and I still like to carry that big body around all day with the 70-200f2.8 on it.

Looking at weights, the 7D is only 3.17oz heavier than the 50D. My 1D, on the other hand, is over a pound heavier.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

smmokan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 06, 2012 09:30 |  #14

Is the 7D's AF system worth $600 more than the 50D's? Because right now, that's the premium you're paying for a used body. Otherwise, there's not much difference between the two; certainly not in IQ. The 8 FPS is a marginal increase over 6.5 FPS, in my experience. I have the 50D, and I thought I wanted to "upgrade" to the 7D a few months ago- I was underwhelmed. I actually like the 50D's focus system better because it's easier to use and it's 95% as effective. I shoot a lot of skiing shots where the skier is moving very quickly side to side and back to front, and I've never missed a shot with my 50D and 15-85mm lens combination.

I'd recommend upgrading to the 50D and using the difference for a better lens or two. That's my two cents, at least.

Here's a shot I took with my 50D/15-85mm combo last winter, with the skier darting in and out of the aspens while coming at me quickly.

IMAGE: http://www.stevemokanphotography.com/Re/Beaver-Creek-Skiing-Jan-12/i-XqQfP29/1/L/BeaverCreek12-15-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.stevemokanp​hotography.com …417763&k=XqQfP2​9&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 06, 2012 09:55 |  #15

OP beware: I did camera upgrade for exactly the same reasons, and it didn't help me at all.

In my case, I had a problematic Tamron 17-50 non-VC - significant front and back focusing at different FL.

My solution was to upgrade to a second-hand 50D, just to discover that I need MA -10 at one FL, and +8 at the other end. Meaning MA was totally useless. I ended up buying another lens - Sigma 17-50 OS. But even there, the first copy had a similar issue to my Tamron. But I learned my lesson, and bought the lens from a place with a good return policy. The second copy they sent me was spot on (no MA required).

At the end I didn't regret upgrading to 50D - it is a significantly better camera than my old Rebel XS. Just don't put too high hopes that MA will fix your lens's issue.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

sponsored links

3,225 views & 0 likes for this thread
T1i upgrade to 50d or 7d?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.