Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 16:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS QR Clamp Sizes

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 03, 2012 16:52 |  #1

I currentlly have a Gitzo 1542T with a Q3T ball head and I will be getting a Gitzo GT3541 Tripod with a Q20 ball head as well.

I want to put RRS quick release clamps on both heads for my 100-400mm lens and 70-200mm lens. I will use the traveller as an alternative when travelling and will be using the bigger set up for time exposure and landscape and maybe a bigger lens later (300mm), better stability.

I was going to get the RRS B2LR II 60mm clamps but I have been thinking that for long term and better mounting for the 100-400 lens perhaps I should go for the RRS B2LLR II 80mm clamps.

What are peoples thoughts on the clamp sizes for both tripods please?

Cheers

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 03, 2012 17:01 |  #2

I use the 60 mm clamps on my 70-200 and 100-400 (and the 300 2.8) and I'm quite content with them.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 03, 2012 17:11 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #15203058 (external link)
I use the 60 mm clamps on my 70-200 and 100-400 (and the 300 2.8) and I'm quite content with them.

Thanks Jon, can you still see the spirit level, does the lens plate fit or extend outside the clamp?

Cheers

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 03, 2012 17:18 |  #4

The plates don't overhang the side of the clamp, so it is still visible (lens barrel permitting). Though I barely use the level on tele lenses with tripod mounting rings; standard or wide angle lenses are where I'm more likely to use them, and even then I'm more inclined to use a hot shoe mounted level.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 03, 2012 17:46 |  #5

Jon wrote in post #15203117 (external link)
The plates don't overhang the side of the clamp, so it is still visible (lens barrel permitting). Though I barely use the level on tele lenses with tripod mounting rings; standard or wide angle lenses are where I'm more likely to use them, and even then I'm more inclined to use a hot shoe mounted level.

Thanks mate.

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 03, 2012 20:09 as a reply to  @ WA Tiger's post |  #6

Is there anyone that uses the 80mm clamps and what are there thoughts with the combo's I have or will it be overkill?

Cheers.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,678 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 04, 2012 09:18 |  #7

I have an 80mm clamp. I use it with my 400 2.8. It is overkill for just a 70-200 or 100-400 I think.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 04, 2012 14:49 |  #8

rdalrt wrote in post #15205297 (external link)
I have an 80mm clamp. I use it with my 400 2.8. It is overkill for just a 70-200 or 100-400 I think.

Very good thank you, so I actually have the 100-400 and 70-200 plates and they are quite long, will they still fit the 60mm quite well without overhang?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 04, 2012 15:30 |  #9

They'll overhang, but they're long so that you can balance the camera/lens combo on the head by sliding back and forth, not because you need to clamp on more area with long lenses.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 04, 2012 18:57 |  #10

Jon wrote in post #15206422 (external link)
They'll overhang, but they're long so that you can balance the camera/lens combo on the head by sliding back and forth, not because you need to clamp on more area with long lenses.

Ok, thanks Jon, perhaps I will just go with the 60mm then, that way it won't be overkill when I have the standard plate on the camera.

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 05, 2012 08:57 |  #11

http://www.ocabj.net …to-arca-swiss-conversion/ (external link)

I put the 80mm on my 488RC2 simply because the 80mm was only $12 more than the 60mm.

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 05, 2012 13:45 |  #12

ocabj wrote in post #15208992 (external link)
http://www.ocabj.net …to-arca-swiss-conversion/ (external link)

I put the 80mm on my 488RC2 simply because the 80mm was only $12 more than the 60mm.

Excellent report, thank you very much, It's not as big as I thought it would be actually.

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 05, 2012 15:01 as a reply to  @ WA Tiger's post |  #13

Actually if anyone has anymore Photos of the 80mm and 60mm clamps with lenses mounted that would be great. Cheers.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 05, 2012 17:54 |  #14

OP: I have all the gear you mentioned and can confirm that the 60mm is more than enough and all you need.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 05, 2012 20:20 |  #15

ben_r_ wrote in post #15211180 (external link)
OP: I have all the gear you mentioned and can confirm that the 60mm is more than enough and all you need.

Your unreal BR, you have helped me out in the past and I thank you again, perhaps next time I will just PM you first...:cool::D

sponsored links

3,086 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS QR Clamp Sizes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.