Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2012 (Monday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d center spot focus

40 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 05, 2012 08:28 |  #1

Is the any way to lock the center spot focus when using it as a preset? For some reason which I assume is me hitting some button I usually wind up with the spot just above center.I never seem to be going to any other spot .

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,953 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 05, 2012 10:01 |  #2

You have probably enabled selecting the AF point with the joystick without first pressing any other button. Disable that, since then it takes two deliberate actions in a row to select a different point, something that's unlikely you do by mistake.

Anders

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,232 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Nov 05, 2012 10:05 |  #3

Not sure that I understand...Can't you simply choose the center AF point, along with the other settings that you want, and store them as a preset?...Then all these settings(including center AF point) will be available each time you choose this preset.

Mark

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,582 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 05, 2012 10:12 |  #4

I don't understand either, but I will point out that the joystick is also a button (like the Xbox controller stick), and that will select the center point when you press in on the joystick.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Rich ­ Smith
85 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2012 11:59 |  #5

There might be an easier way, still new to the 7D. Make sure under C.Fn III you have all checked off. At that point all I do is press the Q button toogle to focus point selection then just roll the wheel to go through all the focus points and select one I want. When I know I am gloing to be switching from center, to center expansion or spot and have everything else set the way I want. I leave it in that mode so all I have to do is press Q and spin the wheel. Even after just 2 weeks, I find it pretty quick to use this way..

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 05, 2012 12:32 |  #6

Yes there are a couple of ways to do this.
1.) LCD Screen Press the Q quick menu button. Use the joy stick to get to focus points. Use the main dial to select the focus type. Press the set button and scroll your focus point. Press the set button again and Q to exit.
2.) Viewfinder Press the + Focus Point button. Use the quick control dial and main dial to scroll to the focus point you want.

Good Luck
Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Nov 05, 2012 12:39 |  #7

Take a look in your manual for the section on "registering" an AF point. If you make the center point your registered point then you can configure the camera so that the Af-On button focuses with the selected point and the * button focuses with the registered point. This way you can switch between the center point and an off-center point by simply pressing a different button.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 06, 2012 14:19 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #8

I don't remember how I set it but I simply move the joystick to select any AF point. Seems easiest to me!

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 06, 2012 14:38 |  #9

To answer your question, no. You cannot set the center spot to be the only spot as a "preset" and expect it to remain in that spot if you push other buttons designed to move it. You wouldn't want one either. If you were in that "preset" and then decided to move the AF point you would have to leave the entire preset or completely reconfigure it. It is much easier to simply disable the control that allows you to move the AF point.

You are likely just accidentally hitting the joystick. Go to custom function IV and press the "SET" button. Then use the joystick to scroll to the option on the bottom right which shows a dot with arrows all pointing outward. That is the joystick icon. Press SET. Now you have two choices - OFF and a box with some squares in it. That the the "AF point direct selection". Choose the "OFF" option and press SET again. Now your joystick will no longer move the AF point at all. You will still be able to select and AF point by pressing the AF select button on the back and then using the shutter wheel and QCD (quick control dial) on the back. You can also use the lock switch to disable the scroll wheel from operating if you like.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,953 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 07, 2012 04:42 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #10

That's precisely what I referred to above. Note that after pressing the AF selection button, you can still use the joystick too, to move the AF point around. You aren't confined to the dials. But without setting the rear dial and/or joystick to move the AF point directly, you'll not move it by accident.

Anders

sponsored links

1,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d center spot focus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.