Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Nov 2012 (Monday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ND filter question

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 05, 2012 15:44 |  #1

I was looking to buy this guy for my Tokina 11-16mm http://www.ebay.com …&hash=item5890e​7d4bb#shId (external link) and I noticed halfway down the page it says "Note:
According to the optics theorem, it is not recommended to apply this filter for wide angle lens (<24mm, 35mm film format equivalent).
Image quality may drop when focal length above 200mm" So what does this mean exactly? Will it not work at all with my lens or what?

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 05, 2012 15:48 |  #2

I bet with such a cheap filter, you'd get image degradation regardless. But all variable ND-filters have trouble on wide angle lenses, as you'll eventually get cross-polarization, even with the more expensive ones - although these should retain the image quality.

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 05, 2012 15:52 |  #3

Hmm I didn't know ND filters were polarizers, I always assumed it was gray tinted glass. Very interesting.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2012 15:52 |  #4

Believe them. Some of those filters rely on using two polarizers stacked to filter light. The effect is magnified on wide lenses and you get an x pattern where they cross. Skip it.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2012 15:53 |  #5

calypsob wrote in post #15210684 (external link)
Hmm I didn't know ND filters were polarizers, I always assumed it was gray tinted glass. Very interesting.

Regular ND filters are. The faders rely on polarizers.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 06, 2012 03:57 |  #6

Here's my 11-16 with a Polaroid VND. No filter, 4-Stops, Near Maximum

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/VND%20Tes%2011mmt.jpg

And here's what it looks like at 400mm. VND on the right, Heliopan 10-stopper on the left.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/VND%20Test.jpg

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 06, 2012 15:57 |  #7

calypsob wrote in post #15210684 (external link)

As far as I understand Variable ND filters are 2 polarizers stacked together. I've seen tutorials on do-it-yourself VND filter. You basically reverse 1 CPL glass and stack it on top of another (not reversed). Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=76Z7l-p2RR0 (external link)

Btw, the ebay seller is not trustworthy. Take a look at this page: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1220​090&page=9

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 06, 2012 19:17 |  #8

hollis_f wrote in post #15212898 (external link)
Here's my 11-16 with a Polaroid VND. No filter, 4-Stops, Near Maximum

QUOTED IMAGE

And here's what it looks like at 400mm. VND on the right, Heliopan 10-stopper on the left.

QUOTED IMAGE

Thanks HOllIS! I cruised the net in search of some examples with this lens and had no luck so this is perfect, glad I didn't find out the hard way.+1

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 06, 2012 19:23 |  #9

morph2_7 wrote in post #15215284 (external link)
As far as I understand Variable ND filters are 2 polarizers stacked together. I've seen tutorials on do-it-yourself VND filter. You basically reverse 1 CPL glass and stack it on top of another (not reversed). Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=76Z7l-p2RR0 (external link)

Btw, the ebay seller is not trustworthy. Take a look at this page: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1220​090&page=9

Thanks for the heads up morph. We talk about the pros and cons of chinese business transaction in my supply chain class all the time, the scammers never cease to amaze me. I might give that diy project a go on my non - wide angles. I do know that I have heard of using linear l=polarizer film to cover flash heads for macro, probably kind of the same concept.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
ND filter question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.