Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Nov 2012 (Monday) 23:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm Torn on that 35mm f/2 IS

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,062 posts
Gallery: 382 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 05, 2012 23:07 |  #1

On one hand, it looks good to me, 8-blade rounded aperture fixes my biggest complaint on both the 28mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2, and hey, I admit, IS could be handy for the types of situations I use it in, I see it as granting me more flexibility (I dont have to use f/2 or faster, I can stop it down if i need the depth of field and IS has my back) It could be a great little walkaround prime, and indeed, the walkaround prime I've been wanting for ages for my 7D.. the optics are guaranteed to be good, No need to really debate that one...

But on the other hand.. theres the price, $850... and its not an L, it doesnt come with a lens hood or a case either, So its more like $900 when I toss a lenshood in the cart, and thats awfully dear for a non-pro lens to me... And yet then again is it really all that pricey? I dunno, Nikon only has the ancient 35mm f/2D to compare it to and thats really the equal of the old Canon 35mm f/2...and it does cost less than the 1.4L still... albeit not by THAT much

Right now, Yeah, I am genuinely thinking of selling the 28mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2 and grabbing one

But on the other hand I feel my faith is shaking in Canon and the fact is simple, I could sell my gear, get a D600 and get most of my lenses on the Dark Side with very little out of pocket and get large tangible gains to boot, But then the question becomes if I wont sit there and want a 5D Mark III anyways... But I do love my glass quite a lot, Nikon's got some nice stuff, But the L stuff is a little special...

Yes I'm musing aloud, I'm not the only one whos thinking this stuff I guarantee it

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2012 23:23 |  #2

I see where you're coming from. First reaction was why did they make that lens. Then I realized the target crowd and it'll def have its place. Just not for me and my shooting style... For now

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Jperture
87 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 05, 2012 23:38 |  #3

Well, it actually does come with a lens hood.

5D.17-40L.24-70L.70-200L.50
Σquipment
ƒlickr (external link)

photohistorian
536 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 05, 2012 23:41 |  #4

KenjiS wrote in post #15212242 (external link)
On one hand, it looks good to me, 8-blade rounded aperture fixes my biggest complaint on both the 28mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2, and hey, I admit, IS could be handy for the types of situations I use it in, I see it as granting me more flexibility (I dont have to use f/2 or faster, I can stop it down if i need the depth of field and IS has my back) It could be a great little walkaround prime, and indeed, the walkaround prime I've been wanting for ages for my 7D.. the optics are guaranteed to be good, No need to really debate that one...

But on the other hand.. theres the price, $850... and its not an L, it doesnt come with a lens hood or a case either, So its more like $900 when I toss a lenshood in the cart, and thats awfully dear for a non-pro lens to me... And yet then again is it really all that pricey? I dunno, Nikon only has the ancient 35mm f/2D to compare it to and thats really the equal of the old Canon 35mm f/2...and it does cost less than the 1.4L still... albeit not by THAT much

Right now, Yeah, I am genuinely thinking of selling the 28mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2 and grabbing one

But on the other hand I feel my faith is shaking in Canon and the fact is simple, I could sell my gear, get a D600 and get most of my lenses on the Dark Side with very little out of pocket and get large tangible gains to boot, But then the question becomes if I wont sit there and want a 5D Mark III anyways... But I do love my glass quite a lot, Nikon's got some nice stuff, But the L stuff is a little special...

Yes I'm musing aloud, I'm not the only one whos thinking this stuff I guarantee it

FYI, it comes with a hood and case! I say buy it. Like you said, IS will come in handy. What's funny, I thought about buying a 35L, but now I have to reconsider. I'm not sure whether you should switch to Nikon, buy the new lens is tempting for sure! :D

EDIT: Jperture beat me to it!

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 05, 2012 23:42 |  #5

I'm right there with you man.

I'm a little different though as at this point I only have one canon lens left on my bag, I have no desire to go FF, and with the high price of the new 35mm f2 I can honestly say there are no canon lens I even want.

I went with canon because I liked their lens line up. Now I mainly shoot with third party lenses and Nikon has the only lens I want (an inexpensive 35mm f1.8 for crop bodies)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 05, 2012 23:54 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

To all crop users who is planning to go ff? Turn to the dark side seriously.

Canon is simply out of their mind...

I have no interest in these 2 new lenses, but I don't like Canon's pricing strategy and overall direction whatsoever!

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2012 23:55 |  #7

KenjiS wrote in post #15212242 (external link)

I say forget it and get the new sigma 35 1.4 instead when it comes out :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,187 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 06, 2012 00:02 |  #8

I'll definitely be considering this one; it's a relatively fast, 35mm, without having to play the Sigma Lotto. Pricey, for sure; but still not as dear as the 35L. And, since I have tremors anyway, the IS is great no matter what the focal length is, IMO.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,062 posts
Gallery: 382 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 06, 2012 00:06 |  #9

Sirrith wrote in post #15212394 (external link)
I say forget it and get the new sigma 35 1.4 instead when it comes out :)

Almost forgot about that, Might be worth waiting to hear the pricing on it

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

996gt2
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 06, 2012 00:12 |  #10

kin2son wrote in post #15212392 (external link)
To all crop users who is planning to go ff? Turn to the dark side seriously.

Canon is simply out of their mind...

I have no interest in these 2 new lenses, but I don't like Canon's pricing stragegy and direction whatsoever!

That's exactly what I did. After selling my 5D I actually got quite a good deal on my Nikon kit and ended up not paying that much for the upgrade.. After seeing the recent Canon pricing I don't regret going to the dark side at all.

Buy/Sell Feedback
5Dc, 50D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 430EX

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 06, 2012 00:46 |  #11

KenjiS wrote in post #15212420 (external link)
Almost forgot about that, Might be worth waiting to hear the pricing on it

IS vs 1.4 ... imagine group shots or DOF needed for food shots (without using up your ISO)

:)

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 06, 2012 02:07 |  #12

I take it that like the 24 and 28 IS did to their non-IS counterparts, this will replace the existing 35/2?

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 06, 2012 12:46 |  #13

I dunno, if the IQ is excellent on this thing (including sharp corners and wildly improved bokeh over the current 35/2), $850 sounds like a steal. F/2 + IS + wide FL = low-light monster. A year from now when it's been out long enough for used prices to fall, you'll probably be able to buy one and a 5Dc for around $1200 total. Sounds good to me!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

F-Stran
403 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 06, 2012 14:03 |  #14

What is Canon doing, are they replacing all primes with IS models, can they at least bring out proper non primes like a 35 f/2 or a 50 f/1.4 to replace the current generation. What next a 50 f/2 IS $950, 85 f/2 IS $1100, 135 f/2 IS $1900, they have gone crazy.

5DMK IV | 60D | 40D | Tamron 70-200 G2 | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Tamron 17-50 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 55-250
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

dochollidayda
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 06, 2012 14:12 as a reply to  @ F-Stran's post |  #15

If this lens is sharp wide open, this will certainly replace my 50/1.4. Inclusion of IS is a welcome and the 35mm is a very desirable focal length for me and the way I like to shoot.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

16,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm Torn on that 35mm f/2 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.