Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 100-400 EF Lens sent 4 times for repair with no fix!

Dave ­ Shively
111 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 06, 2012 21:43 |  #1

I need some thoughts here from some of you. It concerns my Canon 100-400 EF lens. As is it well known, this is a lens that it not used most of the time, at least with most photographers. I bought mine in 2009 and and right from the start it was not sharp at all focal lengths but especially at 400mm. And then when brought up to 100% in Photoshop the sharpness really showed it's true colors and was extremely bad. On thing, the quality did not change when used with or without a tripod and with many different camera settings. I sent the lens to Canon for repair and it cam back saying the "focusing ring" was bad. I got the lens back and absolutely not difference in quality. I don't use the lens all the much (it has a special need as you all know) so it was not until this past May that I sent it back to Canon. When I got it back this time a different repair had been done to it and again I had the same results, not sharp.To shorten the story, early Sept it went back with and yet a different repair and when returned, no change. Number four when shipped back to Canon and same story when I got it back. Three of these times I sent with the lens with about 20 plus photos as examples of the poor quality I am getting. I have tried this lens on three different camera bodies, a 40D, 5D and a 7D all with the exact some results, not sharp.Not even close. Now they want me to send in the 7D body in to see what I believe is "telling the truth". All my other Canon lenses and one Sigma are all sharp and pretty much spot on. I have talked with over 16 people at Canon and most have been helpful and a couple of them agree that the lens is bad. But now that it has been "run up the ladder" to higher authority it appears when I send the body in and they find it as they have before, good and to specs, I think I'm screwed. I told the last few reps that I spoke with that if it comes back with the same problem, I am selling it and getting maybe a Sigma. Anyone else have this kind of problem with this lens? Oh, I don't have any images to post, I deleted them all.

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 06, 2012 21:51 |  #2

A: I would disagree with most of your assertions here, as those of us that shoot birds and wildlife use it a LOT. I shoot this lens 95% of the time and have no problems with it not delivering sharp results.

B: That said, I've found Canon's service department to be useless as tits on a bull, lately. Have you tried microfocus adjusting it on the 7D? It's sounding like there's something borked with your copy, though.

C: If you don't use it that much and it's giving you that much trouble; get rid of it and spend the money on something you want.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Dave ­ Shively
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 06, 2012 22:00 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #3

I guess I should have stated the main reason I have not used it is because of it's lack of sharpness. And no I have not tried the microfocus adjustments, but it is spot on with all my other lenses and the 100-400 did not fair well at all with the other camera bodies.

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 06, 2012 22:14 |  #4

Maybe you should send your camera body in with the lens. There are many threads on POTN where the lens is sent in for calibration, yet the camera body is at the other end of the spec parameters and together they give poor performance. -rick

Dave Shively wrote in post #15216505 (external link)
I guess I should have stated the main reason I have not used it is because of it's lack of sharpness. And no I have not tried the microfocus adjustments, but it is spot on with all my other lenses and the 100-400 did not fair well at all with the other camera bodies.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 11, 2012 23:35 as a reply to  @ alazgr8's post |  #5

99% of my photos are with the 100-400 because I shoot almost only wildlife.
My lens is fairly old but I wouldnt consider it soft.
at 100% crop its not awesome but I dont want to risk sending it out and having it come back worse than it is because its VERY usable right now.

I wish my 60d had MFA like your 7d does.
Just put it at 400mm and do a micro focus adjust. see how it goes. it will only adjust for that specific lens and your other lenses will be just fine as before.

My Flickr (external link)

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 12, 2012 02:44 |  #6

Dave Shively wrote in post #15216505 (external link)
I guess I should have stated the main reason I have not used it is because of it's lack of sharpness.

Were you using a UV filter? If so have a look at this test (external link).

Photo Gear

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 12, 2012 04:35 |  #7

My own 100-400 is sharp, but I bought it almost new at a knock down price because the original owner was unhappy with it. It does require care when using as do all longer telephoto lenses, its very easy to get motion blur/camera shake if used carelessly.

If your camera offers microfocusing then why not give it a try, it can do no harm. The camera is smart enough to know that any adjustment is only for that particular lens.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 12, 2012 05:27 |  #8

Without proper test shots (a high-contrast, well-lit, unmoving, flat target; shot with an unmoving camera) it's impossible to tell if the problem with the lens, the user or the user's expectations.

On a side-note, has anybody every sent anything to Canon for repair and had it come back with a note saying that no work was required?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 13, 2012 18:59 |  #9

Just an FYI
I sent my 70-300 lens in because it wasn't sharp. It came back worse than when it went in. So I talked to another service rep and sent it in again. This time with the camera. It came back better but still soft. Then I talked to yet another service rep who said the camera is not needed to get the lens right. He said he would put a note in to adjust the elements. I also put a note to adjust the elements when I sent it in for the third time. It came back tack sharp. It is now one of my favorite lenses.

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 14, 2012 13:11 |  #10

Can you post some example photos demonstrating the poor results you are seeing, preferably with EXIF information intact? Also, it was also asked above if you had a filter on the lens, but that question was not answered. The 100-400L is known to have IQ issues with filters attached.

Like others in this thread, I use my 100-400L quite a bit, and it produces excellent results when used properly -- even wide open at 400mm.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

3,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 100-400 EF Lens sent 4 times for repair with no fix!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.