Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T1i upgrade to 50d or 7d?

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 06, 2012 10:03 |  #16

^^

Awesome shot!

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 06, 2012 10:15 |  #17

I agree with others that sending in the lens for calibration makes more sense than buying a body just to get focus adjust.

I recently upgraded from a T1i to a 60D and have been very pleased with the decision. It feels and performs like a much better camera, but the feel (ergonomics, with that back wheel and top LCD) was the driving factor.

I was tempted by a 7D but concluded I didn't want the added weight, didn't want to pay the premium for features I'd likely exploit only rarely, and (minor point) didn't want to replace my SD cards with a new memory format (additional cost).

Go to dpreview and run the side-by-side comparison between the T1i, 50D, 60D and 7D. There are very few differences that matter between these cameras, but IMO the used price of a 60D body makes it a relatively painless and quality upgrade.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

asc11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 07, 2012 19:22 as a reply to  @ CaliWalkabout's post |  #18

Just a little update. I found a second hand 7D for a price that I couldn't refuse. I only picked it up last night but already - WOW. It is such a jump from my T1i. I was having a hard time justifying the expense but I shouldn't have worried. Can't wait for the weekend :D

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2012 09:16 |  #19

asc11 wrote in post #15219990 (external link)
Just a little update. I found a second hand 7D for a price that I couldn't refuse. I only picked it up last night but already - WOW. It is such a jump from my T1i. I was having a hard time justifying the expense but I shouldn't have worried. Can't wait for the weekend :D

Congratulations, asc11!

Here are some Canon 7D tutorials for you: http://learn.usa.canon​.com ….spr?keyword=7d​+tutorials (external link)
And here is one on the AF system: http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …_news_eos7d_art​icle.shtml (external link)
Here is a "Quick Guide" that you may want to print out: http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …D_AF_Modes_Quic​kGuide.pdf (external link)
7D Set-Up: http://www.deepgreenph​otography.com …ing-up-your-new-canon-7d/ (external link)

Enjoy your new camera!

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,357 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 08, 2012 11:43 as a reply to  @ Yogi Bear's post |  #20

A quick try of a 7D isn't enough to exploit the significantly more adaptable and customizable AF system, compared to the 40D/50D/60D.

Anders

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,644 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 08, 2012 14:26 |  #21

pulsar123 wrote in post #15213814 (external link)
OP beware: I did camera upgrade for exactly the same reasons, and it didn't help me at all.

In my case, I had a problematic Tamron 17-50 non-VC - significant front and back focusing at different FL.

My solution was to upgrade to a second-hand 50D, just to discover that I need MA -10 at one FL, and +8 at the other end. Meaning MA was totally useless. I ended up buying another lens - Sigma 17-50 OS. But even there, the first copy had a similar issue to my Tamron. But I learned my lesson, and bought the lens from a place with a good return policy. The second copy they sent me was spot on (no MA required).

At the end I didn't regret upgrading to 50D - it is a significantly better camera than my old Rebel XS. Just don't put too high hopes that MA will fix your lens's issue.

Good points here. MFA is good for minor adjustments, but if the lens is way off, get it calibrated. Most of the lenses I MFA'd with my 7D needed +2, which seems to be the norm for my 7D body. That's the type of minor adjustment MFA was designed to handle. When you need to go +/- 8 or 10, it's time for lens calibration.

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links

3,226 views & 0 likes for this thread
T1i upgrade to 50d or 7d?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.