Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Technique to deal with the 85mm f/1.2 II' DOF

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 08, 2012 10:53 |  #1

Been shooting with this lovely thing and I have found it a stubborn lens to get right. I've used the 70-200 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8 all with little focusing problems but this 85mm sucker at f/1.2 is really hard to get right.

I use a 1D2 set on AI Servo with center single point AF focus. I've found that my lens is sharp and the amount of backfocus is not a concern during tripod tests.

The problem I have is keeping the focal plane in focus between the time the camera focuses and when I press the shutter, there is a slight delay even in AI Servo and the camera shake or head/body movement will ruin the shot. Sometimes the picture frontfocuses, sometimes it backfocuses and occassionally I hit it right on.

Any recommendations on what you use to shoot? I was just thinking of bursting several shots and hopefully one will be in focus.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

cbjetboy
555 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 08, 2012 10:59 |  #2

I would suggest moving your focus point so you don't have to recompose and try to limit movement to as little as possible. The 1DX I use makes it pretty easy to walk the focus point to the spot I want in focus while it is composed. It takes practice to get more keepers. Good luck!

cbjetboy
NRA Benefactor Member (external link)
Canon CPS Member (external link)
My Gear List with Links
Some of my pics are located here (external link).

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 08, 2012 11:04 |  #3

I think many will say not to use this lens for servo, especially wide open. The AF is not exactly the fastest... Plus the DOF is so thin there is almost no margin for focus error by the camera. You may be expecting a bit too much... Stop it down some.

I owned and loved the 85L... Don't own it any longer though... It was one amazing lens.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 08, 2012 23:37 |  #4

Are you using back button focus ? Try using the 'normal' way. I found the bit of movement from back button focus to shutter resulted in me moving a little.

SiaoP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 08, 2012 23:41 |  #5

Yes I use the " * " shaped focus button with my right thumb for focusing since I was a sports photographer and grew accustomed to it. Maybe I will try it the old way with the focus on the shutter button.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Technique to deal with the 85mm f/1.2 II' DOF
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.