Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official T4i Thread

unxpectederror
46 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 02, 2012 23:10 |  #526

Thanks everyone for the compliments. :)

i actually used to be a graphic designer before switching over to the world of photography. as for lighting im lucky enough to now have my own studio and work with in a modeling agency in Providence RI. (RIMA)

i have an array of 5 flashpoint II 620m monolights with various reflectors and other modifiers such as soft boxes and beauty dishes ext. as well as 4 way 18 tube continuous light set up that i built which works great as well.

however for outside shots i only use my camera without flash and I make sure to position my subject correctly and out of harsh light.though i should get an assistant to work a reflector at times lol. i do have a battery back for my flashpoints but i have yet to bring them out into the field.

this just goes to show you don't really need a fancy camera like a 5D mk III to do pro work. as anything from the T2i and up works perfectly well for in the studio stuff where you actually have control of the light. and they are much cheaper to replace if broken or stolen lol

oh and btw my lenses are

Canon 40mm 2.8
sigma 17-50 OS
Sigma 50-150 OS (amazing lens)

sponsored links
nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 07, 2012 01:41 |  #527

Got the T4i for a project. The ISO 6400 performance is very disappointing. What I saw is ...It is no match to Olympus OMD EM5. I believe 7D's sensor performs better than this one.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 07, 2012 20:55 |  #528

If you want to blow up the photo into 20 x 30 I would agree with you, else I found the iq at 6400 to be acceptable. However, I suppose based on the shot your mileage may vary.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 07, 2012 23:39 |  #529

kenshap wrote in post #15220280 (external link)
If you want to blow up the photo into 20 x 30 I would agree with you, else I found the iq at 6400 to be acceptable. However, I suppose based on the shot your mileage may vary.

Can't agree with you. If you shot with OMD EM5 or even a 7D.. you would now what I meant.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

diableri
148 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2012 00:05 |  #530

nonick wrote in post #15220716 (external link)
Can't agree with you. If you shot with OMD EM5 or even a 7D.. you would now what I meant.

Could you post two of the shots out of curiosity? I spent quite a bit of time with the EM5 and didn't go with it for different reasons but curious none the less.

swhiggins
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 08, 2012 22:19 |  #531

nonick wrote in post #15216977 (external link)
Got the T4i for a project. The ISO 6400 performance is very disappointing. What I saw is ...It is no match to Olympus OMD EM5. I believe 7D's sensor performs better than this one.

Actually, I looked up the tests for both in Popular Photography... the T4i came out on top from a noise standpoint, not too surprising since it's sensor is bigger. But I think they create TIF files from Camera Raw files for their analysis, so the jpeg processing in the Oly may be better... were you looking at jpegs?

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 08, 2012 22:31 as a reply to  @ swhiggins's post |  #532

This link might be of some interest to those delving into image quality issues pertaining to the T4i...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …al-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (external link)

Rebel T4i; 40mm/2.8STM; 200mm/2.8L; 18-135mmSTM; Speedlite 430EXII; Kenko ETube DG set
Also: Canon G11

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 09, 2012 12:21 |  #533

swhiggins wrote in post #15224693 (external link)
Actually, I looked up the tests for both in Popular Photography... the T4i came out on top from a noise standpoint, not too surprising since it's sensor is bigger. But I think they create TIF files from Camera Raw files for their analysis, so the jpeg processing in the Oly may be better... were you looking at jpegs?

Yes. Popphoto's tests are flawed from certain aspects. They take the RAW and process it in the manufacturer's RAW software, in this case DPP at the default NR settings. DPP applies the prescribed NR for each ISO. These NR settings are really cranked up for the T4i.

I also have a T3i and a 7D, and have owned the 60D and T2i as well, so basically all 18mp sensor Canons. When I open RAW files from all of them, the NR in the same ISO RAW images varies by camera. For example let's say ISO 1600 has luma 4 chroma 8 for 7D Raw while the same 1600 is luma 6 chroma 10 for the T4i. These aren't accurate numbers, I can't check them now but you get the point. The T4i RAW files have about 30-40% more NR applied by default in DPP than any of those other 18mp Canon bodies at the same ISO. And the same is true for Jpegs. However, the sharpening algorithms are able to handle it well I think.

So I actually took very very controlled tests with all 3 of my 18mp bodies. Same scene, same lights, manual settings, timer, tripod, etc.

I compared out-of-camera jpegs and the T4i's jpeg processing is pretty good, significantly cleaner than the 7D, and certain ways better than the T3i, but it's mostly a wash.
As for RAW comparisons, it's interesting. My 7D and my T4i expose exactly the same, same brightness at identical settings. My T3i is a tiny bit darker.
As for RAW noise levels, the T4i has a little more chroma noise than the other 2, but only by a tiny bit. Chroma noise is easly curable, so no big deal there. It has perhaps a tiny bit more luminance noise than the 7D. As for the T3i vs T4i RAW noise levels I found that if I equalize the exposure differences (-1/3 EV for the T4i) the noise level is about the same. There is really no winner there.

It is interesting since the early tests on the internet (DPreview, TDP, etc.) found that the T4i slightly but visibly noisier at higher ISOs than the other Canon 18mp bodies. I downloaded full RAW files from DPreview taken with T3i, T4i, 7D and confirmed the findings.
But when I compare my own images I mentioned above, I don't see that difference they saw.

Another interesting phenomenon - which TDP also pointed out - is that images from the T4i are processed differently in DPP than the other 18mp Canon images, namely they are sharper for some reason. I also confirmed that. T4i images at sharpness setting 0 are as sharp or slightly sharper than T3i and 7D at sharpness 1. The funny thing is that in Adobe Camera Raw, there isn't such a difference, they look roughly the same sharpness-wise.
This sharpening also can contribute to more noise if someone uses DPP and processes T4i images without the default NR settings.

I looked at T4i samples at various sites, RAWs, JPegs etc till my eyes were bleeding... I wanted to buy this camera due to the upgraded features over the T3i, but for a few days the supposed step back in noise performance kept me from pulling the trigger.
Then I pretty much put my concerns to rest and bought one. And like I said the noise performance - at least in my case - is a wash; it's such a non-factor compared to the other more important features (5fps, 60D's AF system, BETTER shutter sound etc.) that it didn't keep me from buying one.

that's my 2 cents

Now, I've seen a bunch of test images from the Oly and they are very impressive, they look awesome.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 18:08 |  #534

unxpectederror wrote in post #15200977 (external link)
Thanks everyone for the compliments. :)

i actually used to be a graphic designer before switching over to the world of photography. as for lighting im lucky enough to now have my own studio and work with in a modeling agency in Providence RI. (RIMA)

i have an array of 5 flashpoint II 620m monolights with various reflectors and other modifiers such as soft boxes and beauty dishes ext. as well as 4 way 18 tube continuous light set up that i built which works great as well.

however for outside shots i only use my camera without flash and I make sure to position my subject correctly and out of harsh light.though i should get an assistant to work a reflector at times lol. i do have a battery back for my flashpoints but i have yet to bring them out into the field.

this just goes to show you don't really need a fancy camera like a 5D mk III to do pro work. as anything from the T2i and up works perfectly well for in the studio stuff where you actually have control of the light. and they are much cheaper to replace if broken or stolen lol

oh and btw my lenses are

Canon 40mm 2.8
sigma 17-50 OS
Sigma 50-150 OS (amazing lens)

So is this natural light?

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net …177698019_38036​4231_n.jpg (external link)

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2012 10:22 |  #535

gabebalazs wrote in post #15226809 (external link)
snip...
So I actually took very very controlled tests with all 3 of my 18mp bodies. Same scene, same lights, manual settings, timer, tripod, etc.

...snip...

Based on the announced specs, I bought the t4i as soon as it was announced, and promptly sent it into canon for a grip replacement. (Canon sent a new camera)

I too spent hours, till my eyes were bleeding, comparing controlled shots between my t2i and t4i at ISO 3200, 6400 and 12800. I compared them in DPP and Lightroom 4.2.

My findings, generally speaking with RAW, when pixel peeping at 100 or 200 percent the t4i has a better overall sharpness and IQ. The t4i has noticeably less noise throughout.

LIghtroom showed much less of a noise difference than DPP for the same parts of the scene. The noise that was exhibited on the t2i in LR and DPP were identical. For the t4i, DPP showed generally better IQ than LR.

Whether that translates into IQ one can see when printing at 3x5 or 4x6 or 11x17 or looking at these scenes in the browser I don't know.

But doing these tests showed me the IQ is overall better on the T4i than the T2i when examing the scenes under a microscope; but as you put it, depending on the final output, it may be a wash. Although I'm sure that is true for an $849 camera and an $84,900 camera. Scenes can be shot in such a way as not to be distinguishable as to the camera that shot them.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

sixtycycleohm
25 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 10, 2012 10:38 |  #536

kenshap wrote in post #15229760 (external link)
Based on the announced specs, I bought the t4i as soon as it was announced, and promptly sent it into canon for a grip replacement. (Canon sent a new camera)

I too spent hours, till my eyes were bleeding, comparing controlled shots between my t2i and t4i at ISO 3200, 6400 and 12800. I compared them in DPP and Lightroom 4.2.

My findings, generally speaking with RAW, when pixel peeping at 100 or 200 percent the t4i has a better overall sharpness and IQ. The t4i has noticeably less noise throughout.

LIghtroom showed much less of a noise difference than DPP for the same parts of the scene. The noise that was exhibited on the t2i in LR and DPP were identical. For the t4i, DPP showed generally better IQ than LR.

Whether that translates into IQ one can see when printing at 3x5 or 4x6 or 11x17 or looking at these scenes in the browser I don't know.

But doing these tests showed me the IQ is overall better on the T4i than the T2i when examing the scenes under a microscope; but as you put it, depending on the final output, it may be a wash. Although I'm sure that is true for an $849 camera and an $84,900 camera. Scenes can be shot in such a way as not to be distinguishable as to the camera that shot them.

How about when comparing jpegs? Does the T4i do more processing which results in better or worse pictures compared to the T2i under same settings and conditions? Do you have to offset some settings on the T4i to achieve same results on the T2i?

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2012 11:18 |  #537

sixtycycleohm wrote in post #15229797 (external link)
How about when comparing jpegs? Does the T4i do more processing which results in better or worse pictures compared to the T2i under same settings and conditions? Do you have to offset some settings on the T4i to achieve same results on the T2i?

My goal was not to do any post processing but to compare files sooc. As such though the jpgs when examining at 100 or 200 percent had better iq from the t4i. I actually shot the scenes in raw plus jpg so I didn't have to go back and shoot separate scenes for the jpgs.

Egor
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 10, 2012 15:10 |  #538

Hello everyone!

Guys, I need your advice. I got the 650d four days ago and it produced an artifact in a raw image.
Faulty sensor?

IMAGE: http://i50.tinypic.com/2e3u04x.jpg

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2012 15:16 |  #539

Could be a memory card issue. Try taking the battery out and reinsert the battery and then perform a low level format of the card. Shoot a few shots and see what happens. Also try out another memory card.

Egor
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 10, 2012 15:43 |  #540

kenshap wrote in post #15230451 (external link)
Could be a memory card issue. Try taking the battery out and reinsert the battery and then perform a low level format of the card. Shoot a few shots and see what happens. Also try out another memory card.

The thing is that it happened only once in approx. 500-600 shots and the camera made normal pics after this. Another issue is that in the preview on a camera the picture is normal, this block appears only on a PC (Lightroom, PS, Picasa etc.), so I'm thinking its a transfer issue?

sponsored links

489,189 views & 51 likes for this thread
Official T4i Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.