Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Nov 2012 (Sunday) 21:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help getting sharp portraits outdoors

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 06, 2012 14:19 |  #16

rrblint wrote in post #15214857 (external link)
I agree too guys...Servo is the way to go for photographing the handsome young lad who is probably moving. She hasn't said yet which AF mode she was using but if she is focusing and recomposing then Servo could be precisely the reason that she is missing focus.

Focusing and recomposing is a technique best suited for One Shot AF mode(I know C.Fcns can help here, but that gets complicated). Generally speaking, don't try to focus and recompose when using Servo AF.

This is why I asked earlier which focus mode that she was using, but she hasn't answered yet.

AI Servo would work for focus-recompose if she uses back button AF and releases the button after focusing, but, as you note, we don't have enough info. to know exactly what she's doing.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,247 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Nov 06, 2012 14:36 |  #17

stsva wrote in post #15214890 (external link)
AI Servo would work for focus-recompose if she uses back button AF and releases the button after focusing, but, as you note, we don't have enough info. to know exactly what she's doing.

True:), but with the XSi, this requires the use of a C.Fcn to assign the back button focusing duties to the * button does it not?...I'm not sure, as I've never used an XSi.

No way to know if she's done that or what mode she's using until she replies.:rolleyes:

Mark

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 06, 2012 19:53 |  #18

rrblint wrote in post #15214981 (external link)
True:), but with the XSi, this requires the use of a C.Fcn to assign the back button focusing duties to the * button does it not?...I'm not sure, as I've never used an XSi.

No way to know if she's done that or what mode she's using until she replies.:rolleyes:

I've become very invested in this thread - I want to know the answers! :)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2012 20:06 |  #19

This is something new for me - I've never heard of or considered using AI Servo for a portrait shoot. Seems single shot AF with an adequate f-stop would work better. Focus and recompose will always cause issues.

#2 looks like focus is on his forward shoulder
#3 focus looks to be on the hair between his left eye and ear.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

marzel
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 06, 2012 20:28 |  #20

Titus213 wrote in post #15216193 (external link)
This is something new for me - I've never heard of or considered using AI Servo for a portrait shoot. Seems single shot AF with an adequate f-stop would work better. Focus and recompose will always cause issues.

Yes it will.

However, Focus/recompose CAN work IF you use BBF and let go once you got lock.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2012 20:30 |  #21

stsva wrote in post #15216158 (external link)
I've become very invested in this thread - I want to know the answers! :)

Me too! I don't think the answer is AI Servo.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2012 20:34 |  #22

marzel wrote in post #15216260 (external link)
Yes it will.

All I ever use is BBF (I've always referred to it as rear * focus). But AI Servo is for moving objects. These are static portraits so one shot AF should work fine.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

marzel
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 06, 2012 21:10 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #23

As soon as you lock focus on the child though, and go to snap the picture, he might be pushing the depth of field limits. If you do BBF AI servo (especially with the focus point close to where you want to recompose), hold it on the subject, then when the moment is right, let go and snap in the composition you want. AI Servo generally means that if you do it right, your subject will be in constant focus, whereas with OneShot you will be doing a bunch of this: "BDeep! BDeep! BDeep!"

This is for REALLY busy children though, which are REALLY difficult to get tack sharp. This doesnt seem to be the issue with the OP because the kid looks pretty calm, unlike, say, a 2 year old that wont sit still.

rrblint
22,247 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 06, 2012 21:28 |  #24

bonnielauper wrote in post #15207685 (external link)
I tried higher f stops, but the lower light levels were really not working. Too much noise when I tried to lighten them. I could have just missed focus (this kid doesn't stop moving), but I feel like it is happening too consistently for it to just be that. I am using the autofocus dots and putting them over his eye, then recomposing.

Titus213 wrote in post #15216263 (external link)
Me too! I don't think the answer is AI Servo.

Titus213 wrote in post #15216270 (external link)
All I ever use is BBF (I've always referred to it as rear * focus). But AI Servo is for moving objects. These are static portraits so one shot AF should work fine.

Ordinarily I would agree with you Dave, but in this case she specified that the kid "doesn't stop moving" and that smaller apertures weren't working for her.

We were simply trying to take these two things into account when recommending the use of AI Servo. It is certainly possible that the movement of the child is small enough that One Shot and a smaller aperture would take care of it. In fact my original thought was, that it was the use of AI Servo(without back button focusing) and then recomposing that was the cause of the missed focus in the first place...The focus in the second photo is on the young man's sleeve, which is about where it would be if she was using center AF point and recomposing using AI Servo(without BBF).

This could become more complicated if she's using Auto Focus Point selection or AI Focus AF...We simply don't know what she was doing until/unless she checks back in and tells us.

Mark

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 06, 2012 21:43 |  #25

marzel wrote in post #15216260 (external link)
Yes it will.

Focus/recompose doesn't work any differently whether you use regular focus or BBF. It's exactly the same.

Gear List

marzel
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 06, 2012 21:57 as a reply to  @ Numenorean's post |  #26

I thought the same thing, but as I contemplated some different situations in my head, where low light was causing AF to be sketchy, having already have the camera hunt and lock BEFORE you were ready to take the shot, you'd be ready to snap more quickly than half-pressing and waiting for the back-n-forth AF hunting of One Shot AF, likely missing the shot altogether.

rrblint
22,247 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 06, 2012 22:29 |  #27

Numenorean wrote in post #15216446 (external link)
Focus/recompose doesn't work any differently whether you use regular focus or BBF. It's exactly the same.

BBF combined with AI Servo AF will operate as if One Shot AF were being used, provided that the back button is released after focus is achieved(with no focus confirmation). Thus focus and recompose will work...This is impossible if focus start is left on the shutter button, when AI Servo is in use.

Mark

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 06, 2012 22:49 |  #28

rrblint wrote in post #15216590 (external link)
BBF combined with AI Servo AF will operate as if One Shot AF were being used, provided that the back button is released after focus is achieved(with no focus confirmation). Thus focus and recompose will work...This is impossible if focus start is left on the shutter button, when AI Servo is in use.

Only when using AI servo is it different.

Gear List

rrblint
22,247 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 06, 2012 23:01 |  #29

Numenorean wrote in post #15216619 (external link)
Only when using AI servo is it different.

Correct.:)

Mark

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 09, 2012 01:30 |  #30

I'm not disagreeing with anything here but do see a couple of issues that have not been thrown out. First is what AF area selection shooting mode was used? Is the point of greatest focus in the photo actually the selected target point? For single subjects and shooting wide open I only use single point and put that point on the subjects eyes. I'm not very familiar with this body but with my 5D III using AF "auto" the number of usable AF points differ from lens to lens which can lead to oof shots. Sometimes more AF points used is not always better particularly at the f1.2-3.5 range. The second item here and was pointed out previously was with the focus points appear to be "off". When I look at these shots (mainly #1 & #2) they both appear to have a front focusing issue. Pic #2 really stands out with having the focus point on the shoulder. If the target was the boy's face I would say this body/lens combination at this distance has a front focusing issue. If I remember correctly this body isn't able to be microadjusted per each lens so the only alternative is to send it to Canon for calibration. Before I continued to shot anything more I would check this out with a tripod, connect the body to a computer and shoot in live view to check the focus against calibration targets. Might just be as simple as a need for microadjustment.

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

sponsored links

4,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help getting sharp portraits outdoors
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.