Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 07:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5dii WB Question

ganginwood
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 08, 2012 07:15 |  #1

I want to be able to take a picture and change the WB so I can physically see the different results as I'm scrolling through WB settings. Is this possible? Currently, I take a shot, adjust the WB, and take another shot to see the difference.

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 08, 2012 07:21 |  #2

ganginwood wrote in post #15221496 (external link)
I want to be able to take a picture and change the WB so I can physically see the different results as I'm scrolling through WB settings. Is this possible? Currently, I take a shot, adjust the WB, and take another shot to see the difference.

Hi gangin - that would be a wonderful feature, but I'm not sure I've seen that on any camera. I only have the 5Dc. I believe the only way to do that would be time consuming and tedious: set the desired WB and take a picture; set another WB and take a picture, etc.

The other alternative which is not practical for field use, is to shoot the picture in RAW and go back to your PC/Mac, and using ACR adjust the slider to see all the different WB and color temp settings. This has precision, but you are no longer in the field taking pictures.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Scooby888
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 08, 2012 07:21 |  #3

If you asking if you can change the WB on the camera after the shot it taken then no, you can't.

I would suggest shooting AWB and adjust in LR or Photoshop to suit.

Otherwise, try shooting tethered so you can see the difference on a large screen.

Hope this helps.

5DII Gripped, 7D Gripped, Canon 60D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 L, Canon 24-105 L f4, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, Canon EF 100 L Macro f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 1.4tc mkii, Speedlite 580ii, 2x Speedlite 430ii, Monfrotto tripods

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 08, 2012 09:29 |  #4

I'm came over from Pextax. On my K5 I could snap a pic, select WB and the image would change on the screen so I could see the effect of each WB setting. It would not change the image itself, but I would be able to see the result for future shots. that's what I'm looking to do.

So then how would I choose a custom WB in the field if need be? Would I have to keep shooting until I dialed it in?

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 08, 2012 10:24 |  #5

A technique that I sometimes use is while shooting to switch into liveview and scroll through the kelvin adjustments and then switch back to using the viewfinder once I find a setting that I like.

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 08, 2012 13:44 |  #6

that's what I'm looking for. Thanks Ramon.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,494 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 08, 2012 16:53 |  #7

sapearl wrote in post #15221505 (external link)
Hi gangin - that would be a wonderful feature, but I'm not sure I've seen that on any camera. I only have the 5Dc. I believe the only way to do that would be time consuming and tedious: set the desired WB and take a picture; set another WB and take a picture, etc.

The other alternative which is not practical for field use, is to shoot the picture in RAW and go back to your PC/Mac, and using ACR adjust the slider to see all the different WB and color temp settings. This has precision, but you are no longer in the field taking pictures.

Why is this not practical? If all the day's shots are in Raw, any WB you want can be applied afterwards. You can even make multiple versions of the same shot with different WBs or one version with different WBs in different parts of the scene, different WBs for sunlit and shaded areas. Shooting Raw in the field is in fact, as thousands of Raw shooters will testify, the most practical alternative, because the application of WB is part of the process of making a jpg. Doing it in camera you get one shot at it, doing it in a computer you can try endless settings because nothing is final until you hit the Convert/Export button.

Elie / אלי

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2012 17:07 |  #8

As Tzalman says, just shoot raw and sort it out later. Most PP apps let you do batch processing so if you want to do a number of shots at once, the time in PP to do so is minimal.

Shooting raw has so many other advantages too. I can't see any good reason to shoot jpgs on a 5dii - unless continuous max shooting rate or lack of storage is a concern. In the former case, you need a 7d, in the latter, you just need to spend a bit on memory cards and hard disks!

Paul

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 09, 2012 06:49 |  #9

This isn't a RAW vs Jpeg thread....I was just looking for an option. I don't want to do more PP and I shoot Jpeg for sports, particularly if I have 1000 images. I do chimp, and like to see how the color renders during the shoot.

Live view is an option but for studio work it won't show me the result with flash. Regardless....this isn't life changing...just an inconvenience.

Thanks for the responses.

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 09, 2012 06:54 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

ganginwood wrote in post #15221496 (external link)

This is what PhotoShop is for.
I do this all the time in Camera Raw
and can see no value of doing it at time of taking the picture.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,869 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 09, 2012 08:06 |  #11

Not sure what camera you are using but something similar is available in the 60D in the form of in-camera processing. With the 60D a RAW image file can be processed in the camera using simple menu commands in the camera’s Playback menu. You can quickly select a RAW image and apply various processing variables and get a new JPEG image (the original RAW file is unaffected) and you can then save the new JPEG to the memory card in various size formats. The processing variables are extensive, like a dozen as I recall, and include most of those available in the DPP software. I know positively that you can change the white balance as I've used the technique for adjusting some flower macros to be "true" to the original.

Added comment, I notice by the thread header that you are using a 5DMKII. The 60D was the first (I believe) Canon DSLR to offer extensive in-camera post processing of RAW images. Maybe the 5DMkIII offers it as well?

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,361 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 09, 2012 08:36 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #12

When you do that kind of RAW processing in camera (I have a 7D), you can immediately see the result of a WB change, without actually having to save a new jpeg.

Anders

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 09, 2012 09:00 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #13

One Possible Solution:

-Download and install magic lantern.
-Go to live view and adjust WB. ML software will allow you to simultaneously adjust WB and view your subject so you don't have to play the guess and check game.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,361 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 09, 2012 09:29 as a reply to  @ Kylemorgan88's post |  #14

I just tried the same thing. My 7D allows me to do that without any additional software than what's in there from the beginning.

Anders

sponsored links

1,992 views & 0 likes for this thread
5dii WB Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.