Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Nov 2012 (Friday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm angry and need to ventilate..

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 08:45 |  #1

For over a year i been taking atleast 1 new photograph EVERY day and posted it on my tumblr... they are all plain and everyday photos, ANYONE could take them (when it comes to scenery) and it's unfair for me, living in a ****ty small town in Sweden, ofcourse anyone that lives in NY, Chicago, Rio, Tokyo or any other major city will take 10 x better/intresting photos than me (not talking IQ here).
Imagine living in NY.. it would take you years to photograph everything there (atleast everything intresting) and new stuff always arises.

My point is, after a year.. i've taken photos of everything worth photographing in my town.. EVERYTHING. Sure, i could take a few shots of some birds and call it different, but my main intrest is street photography.
I'm bored and angry.. i've travelled to nearby towns... but it's not Chicago or Los Angles.

So.. whats left? Wedding photography? Child portraits?
Not in my intrest...

My hobby is dying on me.. it's not fun any more, sure i could save up a few thousand dollars and travel a week to NY.. but then what? I barely scratched the surface when talking about everything you can shot in NY.

My pre-conditions are crap compared to some one living in NY when it comes to street photography.

Photography is the best thing that happend to me when it comes to a hobby, i will never ever stop taking photographs.. but it feels dead right now.
This sunday i've booked a photosession to do some model shots with a few people but it will still have the same old boring scenery, it wont be infront of Central park or by the Jersey bridge.. thats for sure.

Any ideas on what to do?

I'm sure i can't be the only one feeling like this, must be hundreds of photographers feeling the same thing, we can't all be living in major city?
And i wont adapt to the scenery.. no way, i wont pretend to like to photgraphy landscapes or different trees in the forest.. nope, not gonna happen.

/end of angry rant

Edit*
ARGH, wrong forum :(

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 09, 2012 08:51 |  #2

Well I was going to ask if you liked landscape photography until the end of the post.

Move to NY.

Gear List

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2012 08:52 |  #3

Isn't street photography about capturing the emotion of the people? What's behind them isn't important. Instead of worrying about capturing different bits of scenery I'd start going out with specific projects in mind - try capturing sorrow one day, love, fear, anger, etc. Go to places where you think you'll be successful - a bus or train station, a pub, etc...

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 08:56 |  #4

90c4 wrote in post #15225965 (external link)
Isn't street photography about capturing the emotion of the people? What's behind them isn't important. Instead of worrying about capturing different bits of scenery I'd start going out with specific projects in mind - try capturing sorrow one day, love, fear, anger, etc. Go to places where you think you'll be successful - a bus or train station, a pub, etc...

Street photography isent just about people, it's about the scenery aswell.. i hope, or else i said wrong.
edit* my bad: http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Street_photogra​phy (external link)

It's hard taking candid photos in a town with 40.000 people... it's another thing in a city with 12 million people.

I like to take photos in cities.. both architecture and people in it.
What is that called then?

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 09:00 |  #5

Numenorean wrote in post #15225962 (external link)
Move to NY.

Green card, need a job, need daycare and school for teh kids, my wife need a job, we got a house, cars, all the family here... not likely, but thanks for your impossible idea. :rolleyes:

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 09, 2012 09:00 |  #6

I think you're dwelling on the negatives rather than trying to make the best of the positives.

Ultimately, it's your creativity - if you are lacking in creativity and can't figure out how to work out doing what you enjoy, take a break, do something else, move, go on holiday, life your life, work with other people. If photography is important to you it will come back on it's own.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,185 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 09, 2012 09:03 |  #7

Couldn't you do weekend trips to larger cities in Sweden? I'm sure there's tons of cool stuff there?

MCSquared (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link)
My name: Manish.

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 09:03 |  #8

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #15226001 (external link)
I think you're dwelling on the negatives rather than trying to make the best of the positives.

Ultimately, it's your creativity - if you are lacking in creativity and can't figure out how to work out doing what you enjoy, take a break, do something else, move, go on holiday, life your life, work with other people. If photography is important to you it will come back on it's own.

I can't stop what i love.. i carry my camera with me EVERYWHERE, every day.. i take photographs together with friends, we exchange ideas and what not.

I don't live in a big city, i don't live in a beautiful landscape, i don't live anywhere near any extrem sports (snowboard, surfing etc) and my city doesent even have skyscrapes.. or even tiny skyscrapes.. :(

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 09, 2012 09:05 |  #9

bent toe wrote in post #15225999 (external link)
Green card, need a job, need daycare and school for teh kids, my wife need a job, we got a house, cars, all the family here... not likely, but thanks for your impossible idea. :rolleyes:

It sounded like that was something you were passionate about. If you are, then it's not an impossible idea. Also you don't need a car in NYC.

If going to NY or Chicago or whatever is what you feel is the only thing that will satiate your passion for what you do, then you should go there.

But what happens when you get bored there?

Gear List

PHughes
361 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 09, 2012 09:06 |  #10

One day I felt like you do, I had been doing photography for over 20 years and hadn't been shooting for a while. I didn't feel inspired. I decided I needed to force myself to shoot. I went into my backyard and made myself shoot. Now I will say that my backyard is against the woods so it is a decent place, it is just so familiar I wouldn't think to shoot there much. I came up with some images I truly love and have printed.

You may wish to change your viewpoint. Maybe shoot closer. Zero in on doorways, windows, doorknobs, get close, anything to alter what you are doing. Shoot reflections of people in windows. Shoot from a different perspective.

I know it is tough when things start to feel old and stale, but keep at it and you will figure something out. You may just need to take some time out for a while.

Good luck, and don't feel bad, we all get like that sometimes.

Here are two from behind my house from the day I mentioned.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1038.photobuck​et.com …/Display/Daisie​s_6763.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1038.photobuck​et.com …Ride/Display/Bu​d_6733.jpg (external link)

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 09:06 |  #11

inthedeck wrote in post #15226016 (external link)
Couldn't you do weekend trips to larger cities in Sweden? I'm sure there's tons of cool stuff there?

Yea.. i could take a trip to the Capital or Gothenburg or Malmö.. but it's still just trips, trips that take time and money and are over after 2-3 days.

A. i need a new hobby
B. i need to find other things to photography

I already done little projects like slow shutter and light, portraits, only B&W, abandoned places, painting with lights, miniature stuff, macro....

I think i'm to intense, my friends tell me i am... it's 200mph right away and been so for the last year.
I'm out of ideas...

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2012 09:07 |  #12

Go out and shoot and stop whining. It doesn't matter how big your city is since you're not photographing more than a few people in any given shot anyway. Capture Sweden and feel lucky because the rest of us don't have that luxury.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

_igi
258 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 09, 2012 09:07 |  #13

For me, you can shoot great street photos everywhere. The most fun in that business is to find some interesting situations in places that nobody can see anything. You can take the advantage of the small city over the big ones and simply photograph people and nature, some countryside kind of street, there are plenty of possibilities.

For example, i've taken that photo in polish countryside, and i don't thing that some skyscrapers, concrete and some hot-dog machines would make it any better. :-)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_4933 (external link) by _igi (external link), on Flickr

1DIV | 6D | TS-E 24/3.5 L | 35/2 IS | 50L | 17-40L | 24-70L 2.8

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 09:08 |  #14

PHughes wrote in post #15226029 (external link)
One day I felt like you do, I had been doing photography for over 20 years and hadn't been shooting for a while. I didn't feel inspired. I decided I needed to force myself to shoot. I went into my backyard and made myself shoot. Now I will say that my backyard is against the woods so it is a decent place, it is just so familiar I wouldn't think to shoot there much. I came up with some images I truly love and have printed.

You may wish to change your viewpoint. Maybe shoot closer. Zero in on doorways, windows, doorknobs, get close, anything to alter what you are doing. Shoot reflections of people in windows. Shoot from a different perspective.

I know it is tough when things start to feel old and stale, but keep at it and you will figure something out. You may just need to take some time out for a while.

Good luck, and don't feel bad, we all get like that sometimes.

Here are two from behind my house from the day I mentioned.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Very good ideas, especially about reflections and different perspectives on already photographed things.

Nice macro photos :D

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

bz919
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 09, 2012 09:08 as a reply to  @ bent toe's post |  #15

Instead of looking for big images, how about macro? There can be many amazing small details in even the most mundane large scenes. If nothing else, it'll give you a new perspective on your environment.

sponsored links

10,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm angry and need to ventilate..
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.