Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 08 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

selling on ebay to 0 feedback buyer

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 09, 2012 08:32 |  #31

Numenorean wrote in post #15225862 (external link)
You used to be able to set it so that bidders with no feedback couldn't bid when you listed the item.

As long as I can remember, that was not the case. eBay would lose potential clients like that left and right, and with less people available to bid, there's less money to be made. Sellers used to cancel the bids of people that had no feedback or negative feedback, and they would post it in their ads indicating this; if it was possible to block them, they wouldn't have needed to post it in the ad.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 09, 2012 08:34 |  #32

moose10101 wrote in post #15225884 (external link)
Nope. Never, ever. You could (and still can) set your options to block bidders with an overall negative feedback score (i.e. a score less than zero), but since buyers can't get negative feedback, that option is useless.

eBay has never allowed sellers to block zero feedback buyers. Why would they?

They have, and I've done it.

Gear List

moose10101
registered smartass
1,668 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 09, 2012 08:37 |  #33

Numenorean wrote in post #15225894 (external link)

I'll bet you've done a lot of things. ;)

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 09, 2012 08:44 |  #34

As far as I know these are the criteria you can use to block buyers.

From ebay support

.Are in countries you don't want to send items to.
.Have a negative Feedback score.
.Have unpaid item cases recorded against them.
.May bid on several items and not pay for them.
.Don't have a PayPal account.
.Have breached eBay policies.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 09, 2012 09:31 |  #35

Numenorean wrote in post #15225894 (external link)

They've never allowed you to block zero feedback bidders.

OP, what wound up happening?

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

2ndviolinman
345 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 09, 2012 09:53 |  #36

When i sold my Pentax 645 stuff, it was my first time selling on eBay. The AF body went to a zero feedback buyer in Italy. I researched the name and address, found them to be legit, clenched my nethercheeks and shipped it. Scary, but it worked out. Good luck.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 09, 2012 12:55 |  #37

Definitely some really great info here thank you all. Within the last minute someone else placed a bid! I was relieved and although their address is a university paypal shows it as confirmed. I am about to place shipping via ebay. I did do insurance and signature confirmation. If anyone has any last minute advice for me I appreciate it. I really appreciate all the responses and def learned something for next time, thank you all.

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 09, 2012 18:44 |  #38

My advice would be not to sell on ebay or anywhere else where you are not doing face to face if you are that paranoid. People chose ebay due to typically the item being available to a much larger audience than your local paper and hopefully the item sells for more on ebay (for the seller). To be honest, there are risks in selling or buying anything anywhere. Same goes for on this forum....all of which I have bought and sold from many times. Glad it worked out and good thing no one said never ever ship to a university address. :)

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 09, 2012 19:48 |  #39

You can put a disclaimer in your auction saying that 0 feedback bidders will have their bids cancelled or something to that effect, but I think thats the most you can do.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

moose10101
registered smartass
1,668 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 09, 2012 19:51 |  #40

Sirrith wrote in post #15228169 (external link)
You can put a disclaimer in your auction saying that 0 feedback bidders will have their bids cancelled or something to that effect, but I think thats the most you can do.

So they'll bid at the last second. What do you do then?

You complete the sale.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 09, 2012 20:05 |  #41

Mistabernie wrote in post #15225855 (external link)
Wow, I don't have any real vestment in eBay or anything like that, but people really need to lay off the 'zomg eBay doesn't protect sellers' thing. If you follow eBay's (albeit somewhat stringent) rules, sellers can absolutely be protected. That's not to say that there's not a tendency for eBay to side with sellers, but people seriously make it sound like eBay always sides with buyers, and that's simply not the case.

You'll note the words worst case scenario in my post.

moose10101 wrote in post #15228174 (external link)
So they'll bid at the last second. What do you do then?

You complete the sale.

What does this have to do with my post? I'm not here to solve eBay's problems, I simply stated what I think the actual position is.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 09, 2012 20:20 |  #42

Print out an invoice with both of your addresses on it and place it inside the box.

2 weeks ago I had a package get lost because they somehow ripped both labels off. When they found it they were able to finish the delivery and my buyer was happy.

I prefer selling online vs in person. Online i've never had a single buyer flake on me in 250+ sales. On craigslist/forums the flake percentage is 80%. And on top of that they always lowball you on already great deals.
at least on ebay you can reject low offers automatically and you dont have to waste time when someone flakes, just relist it in 2 seconds.

And with fuel prices these days it's one more thing to save money on. Most carries have free pick ups.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,474 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 09, 2012 20:36 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #43

It's kind of like selling here or anywhere. A little due diligence on the buyer can go a long way and at some point you have to be willing to trust. It's not just 0 posters or newbies that scam, it seems it can be almost anyone. Heck, I only have something like 4 transactions on e-bay in something like 10 years. Despite that, I was recently able to win a CPL over there from someone that is also a member here (I don't think they know it though). I paid promptly, followed up with them via e-mail to verify receipt and no issues, and gave positive feedback so they would not be worried about being scammed.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Σ18-35 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 09, 2012 20:44 |  #44

That's more good info Maverick. This is exactly why I posted here. I guess you could call me paranoid but I don't want to be "uninformed" and I haven't sold enough to feel like I fully know all the ins and outs of the scams.

And yah on the craiglist lowballing. I had a couple call on my mtn bike today, it's in awesome condition and they tried to lowball me on the phone $100 (It's already 50% of selling price) and I said no then they showed up and tried again and I was like no I already told you on the phone no. I kinda felt back b/c they drove a good ways but good grief.....

In all honesty I guess you could call me "disgruntled". I have another business and over the years it never ceases to amaze me the things people will do or say to get out of paying and to scam. And while no one's successfully pulled a "fast one" just dealing with the crap people say to avoid paying puts a damper on things! It's to the point where nothing surprises me anymore! *end rant*

moose10101
registered smartass
1,668 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 10, 2012 08:04 |  #45

Sirrith wrote in post #15228196 (external link)
What does this have to do with my post? I'm not here to solve eBay's problems, I simply stated what I think the actual position is.

What it has to do with your post is this: your disclaimer is worthless. You can already cancel any bid you want to, as long as you catch it before the auction ends; you don't have to announce it. And your disclaimer isn't going to discourage anyone who's planning to scam you. In fact, it may chase away some members who don't want to send their money to sellers with idiotic terms in their listings.

None of use are here to solve eBay's problems. We're here to help the OP. And your suggestion doesn't do that, so I'm helping the OP by pointing that out.

Got any useful suggestions?

sponsored links

1,999 views & 0 likes for this thread
selling on ebay to 0 feedback buyer
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.