Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 09, 2012 22:27 |  #9496

It was kind of funny actually. I went out to see if any of the migrant birds were around and waited. Didn't find a single bird but then I spotted her hiding in the plants and she knew she was busted, she looked right into the lens. ;)

Thanks, the more I use that lens the more I am impressed with it and considering what they go for and how they're built they have to be the best bang for the buck for a 300mm.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 09, 2012 23:07 |  #9497

I've been so busy with work, the newborn and taking photos, I barely have time to process them.

Here's the FIRST shot I took with the D800. Something to test out the dynamic range (clouds to tree bark) and capturing finest details of branches and leaves. I think this nails it.

Did I mention I love this camera?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

201210260001 (external link) by dharrisphotog (external link), on Flickr

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 10, 2012 05:24 |  #9498

WT21 wrote in post #15227636 (external link)
Those are my impressions to date, so I can see why "either/or" is not so cut and dry.

One question -- it seems that the D700 + 85/1.8 G is slower in single AF than the 5D + 85/1.8, yet is much better in C-AF. Is that about par with other people's experience?

There are a large number of focus options on the D700, which have a big impact on focus speed - it takes time to work through them and find the settings which best suit your particular style of shooting. 3D tracking in particular slows down the camera a bit, but can be very useful - depends what you're shooting.

In 2008/2009 we switched from shooting weddings with 2x 5Dc, 1x 1Ds mk1 and a 40D - and moved to 2x D700, 1x D300, 1x D90. Poor focus on the 5Dc was precisely the reason we switched - we were consistently missing key shots with the 5Dc. We'd bought the 1Ds mk1 just to see if it was 'us' missing shots or the cameras - and we found the 1Ds nailed focus every time for us, whereas the 5D would not (same lenses, same conditions, same shooting style - different results). Buying all 1 series was not sensible for us, so we looked at Nikon, bought a D700 to try, and then switched.

In my opinion the D700 was exactly what the 5D mkll should have been - but it's still a very competent camera today, despite 'only' having 12 megapickles.

We no longer shoot weddings, and I sold our last D700 just a couple of months back - but I really miss it - don't miss any of the Canon kit we owned (except the 70-200 f4 IS).

Rob

afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 10, 2012 05:27 |  #9499

K6AZ wrote in post #15227409 (external link)
I know how to extract EXIF information and plug the coordinates into a map. I would think that there would be some sort of application to save the work of copy and paste.

The creativity goes into scripts ;)

As part of the copying from the memorycard, run this script also. And you have all your photos in your favorite maping application.

I would also think there is lot of application that do this, but for me it is much faster to write those lines myself, than search the net for it, and maybe end up with something that doesn't work the way I will do it.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2012 05:50 |  #9500

afoton wrote in post #15229179 (external link)
The creativity goes into scripts ;)

As part of the copying from the memorycard, run this script also. And you have all your photos in your favorite maping application.

I would also think there is lot of application that do this, but for me it is much faster to write those lines myself, than search the net for it, and maybe end up with something that doesn't work the way I will do it.

I hate messing around with scripts but have done it when necessary. I'll dig into it a little more after I get my hands on the GPS unit.

Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2012 09:56 |  #9501

gqtuazon wrote in post #15224891 (external link)
Nope. I can't use one if I use a remote control.

Oh yes you can and this GPS is much cheaper than Nikon's at $80. The remote is $8 or so. Seems to be getting great reviews.

http://www.youtube.com …0&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

Flickr (external link)

gqtuazon
756 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 10, 2012 17:39 |  #9502

K6AZ wrote in post #15229667 (external link)
Oh yes you can and this GPS is much cheaper than Nikon's at $80. The remote is $8 or so. Seems to be getting great reviews.

http://www.youtube.com …0&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

Good find. That's pretty clever although I can't think of a reason why I need a GPS with the pictures that I take. Maybe during travel but I've been shooting without one and I'm still good without one.

Regards,
Glenn
My Gear
Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2012 17:49 |  #9503

gqtuazon wrote in post #15230822 (external link)
Good find. That's pretty clever although I can't think of a reason why I need a GPS with the pictures that I take. Maybe during travel but I've been shooting without one and I'm still good without one.

Exactly. I wouldn't need it most of the time but when I'm travelling or in unfamiliar areas it would be great, especially for road trips. When not needed simply take it off and put it away like the CPL or flash.

Also, in doing some reading Nikon's free ViewNX reads the GPS info and there are some online sites that work the same way as the shutter count sites, you just upload the image and they pinpoint it on a map.

Flickr (external link)

gqtuazon
756 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 10, 2012 18:57 |  #9504

K6AZ wrote in post #15230860 (external link)
Also, in doing some reading Nikon's free ViewNX reads the GPS info and there are some online sites that work the same way as the shutter count sites, you just upload the image and they pinpoint it on a map.

Being in the military, that is something that I can't use with my photography. That would simply compromise the areas were I went.

Regards,
Glenn
My Gear
Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2012 19:17 |  #9505

If you're doing military and/or covert work yes, I wouldn't broadcast locations. Also around your home especially if you shoot expensive items that are easy to steal. Definitely you need to use common sense with GPS info, especially since it's accurate to less than 30 meters/100 ft.

Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2012 19:58 |  #9506

gqtuazon wrote in post #15231022 (external link)
Being in the military, that is something that I can't use with my photography. That would simply compromise the areas were I went.

Thanks for your service, stay safe.

gqtuazon
756 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 10, 2012 20:03 |  #9507

rick_reno wrote in post #15231174 (external link)
Thanks for your service, stay safe.

No worries Rick. Over 22 years of service and still serving. Hooyah!

Regards,
Glenn
My Gear
Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 11, 2012 06:38 |  #9508

Here's another cool gadget:

http://www.amazon.com …kCode=as2&tag=n​ikorumo-20 (external link)

They also make one for the D5100. As popular as the D600 seems to be for those of you who don't need a regular grip and just find it too small for your hands these look to be the perfect solution.

Flickr (external link)

WT21
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 11, 2012 08:55 |  #9509

K6AZ wrote in post #15232329 (external link)
Here's another cool gadget:

http://www.amazon.com …kCode=as2&tag=n​ikorumo-20 (external link)

They also make one for the D5100. As popular as the D600 seems to be for those of you who don't need a regular grip and just find it too small for your hands these look to be the perfect solution.

Do they make one for the D700? I'm trying one this weekend, and finding my pinkie finger has no place to go, but I'd prefer not to have the still-more weight of the full grip.

6D: 50, 85, 28-75, 70-210USM, 430EXii.
EOS-M: 22, 18-55

WT21
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 11, 2012 08:58 |  #9510

RobKirkwood wrote in post #15229175 (external link)
There are a large number of focus options on the D700, which have a big impact on focus speed - it takes time to work through them and find the settings which best suit your particular style of shooting. 3D tracking in particular slows down the camera a bit, but can be very useful - depends what you're shooting.

In 2008/2009 we switched from shooting weddings with 2x 5Dc, 1x 1Ds mk1 and a 40D - and moved to 2x D700, 1x D300, 1x D90. Poor focus on the 5Dc was precisely the reason we switched - we were consistently missing key shots with the 5Dc. We'd bought the 1Ds mk1 just to see if it was 'us' missing shots or the cameras - and we found the 1Ds nailed focus every time for us, whereas the 5D would not (same lenses, same conditions, same shooting style - different results). Buying all 1 series was not sensible for us, so we looked at Nikon, bought a D700 to try, and then switched.

In my opinion the D700 was exactly what the 5D mkll should have been - but it's still a very competent camera today, despite 'only' having 12 megapickles.

We no longer shoot weddings, and I sold our last D700 just a couple of months back - but I really miss it - don't miss any of the Canon kit we owned (except the 70-200 f4 IS).

Rob

Thanks. I've been spending more time with the D700, and some of my initial concerns are going away. But, as a home/hobby shooter, even used the D700 is about $1,000 more than my 5Dc, so I have to think about justifying it.

I am wondering to myself, though -- ASIDE from lenses (let's pretend that I can match lenses, and my needs are modest -- 85/1.8, 35/1.4 and maybe a 50/1.8 or 1.4 in the future), what are the reasons to go 5Dmkii over the D700 assuming I have zero interest in video. It seems to me the main benefits of the 5Dii are access to certain Canon lenses and video, but if neither apply to me, then the D700 seems like the proper upgrade path.

6D: 50, 85, 28-75, 70-210USM, 430EXii.
EOS-M: 22, 18-55

sponsored links

834,686 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.