Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 10 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 10:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Track Cycling

Hatchplot
50 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2012 10:29 |  #1

My first go at shooting track.

The light was very hard to work with and I wasn't really equipped for it. I eventually started messing with candid close ups in field, and shadows on the track.

Next time I'll be better prepared.

1:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

3:
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8172335828_a1555ae5e0_b.jpg

4:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

5:
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8172336626_36a563dde6_b.jpg

6:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

7: Canon 5D and nifty 50
IMAGE NOT FOUND

8: I'd prefer if the rider was on the right of the frame.
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8170454566_93e7b34ca8_b.jpg

www.theworld.co.za (external link)

sponsored links
Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2012 11:16 |  #2

Looking forward to some ACTION shots. Leave the infield stuff for someone with a smart phone. What track is this?

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Hatchplot
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2012 11:22 |  #3

Biffbradford wrote in post #15229894 (external link)
Looking forward to some ACTION shots. Leave the infield stuff for someone with a smart phone. What track is this?

You think you could make those shots with a smartphone? I await your results with baited breath.

It's the Velodrome in Cape Town South Africa.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2012 12:17 |  #4

I've been involved in the sport since 1977 and they just don't do it for me, honestly ... those don't really knock my socks off. 10,000 lumen flash or not.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some racing shots. I've never seen any from that track. I think the closest indoor velodrome to me is in Toronto, and I'm not sure just how active the winter cycling scene is there.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Hatchplot
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2012 12:28 |  #5

Biffbradford wrote in post #15230042 (external link)
I've been involved in the sport since 1977 and they just don't do it for me, honestly ... those don't really knock my socks off. 10,000 lumen flash or not.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some racing shots. I've never seen any from that track. I think the closest indoor velodrome to me is in Toronto, and I'm not sure just how active the winter cycling scene is there.

Fair enough. You've been involved in track for 35 years so obviously have seen plenty of track images. I've been involved for less than 24 hours and have plenty to learn still. That's the joy of what we do I think.

BTW the flash is a standard Canon 600EX speedlight.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2012 13:01 |  #6

Wow, that's a pretty powerful flash! :D

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2012 16:44 |  #7

I was thinking that I guess I could give more productive criticism than I did, so here goes. (not that I'm an expert, hopefully others will express their views as well)

1. I can see where you're going with this. Shadows can make a very powerful image, but this one just doesn't work for me. I guess it's not an 'interesting' shadow.

2. Maybe if we could see the holder, it would help, but there just seems to be too much 'nothing' in the shot on the left side.

3. Don't know where you're going with this one. Toss.

4. Is he famous? Does he have special shoes? If it's just a guy with scarred knees tightening his shoes ... toss.

5. Best one of the set IMO, but still lacks some action. Get this very same shot during the heat of the race and you might have a real winner. It's just a guy riding now. Boring.

6. Wrong angle perhaps? How about shot from the side ... bike and rider in perfect focus, but the feet and wheel blurred in motion?

7. Handlebar tape? Delete.

8. I see where you're going with this. Would work a lot better IMO with a whole pack across the sign, or one rider right on top of it. A similar shot is taken every winter Olympics on the Luge/Bobsled track where they get a sled right on the Olympic rings.

Like I said, I hope you go back soon. Would love to see more action shots!

Going ­ Baroque
349 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 10, 2012 18:31 |  #8

Hatchplot wrote in post #15229778 (external link)
8: I'd prefer if the rider was on the right of the frame.

The best part about shooting a lot of racing is that they keep coming back. :) Especially on a track.

#3 I'm scrolling down the post, and guess what I saw first. LOL Yeah, not so sure about this one.

#5 is solid, though. Interesting shot, and nicely framed.

KCJAKE
70 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 11, 2012 10:33 |  #9

Simply amazing - I love em'!

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 11, 2012 10:54 |  #10

#3... why?

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Hatchplot
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 11, 2012 11:08 |  #11

ewheeler20 wrote in post #15232941 (external link)
#3... why?

#3 Why not? It is a different angle and it shows what the rider is doing. I also believe it gets the viewer thinking. Does every photo at an event have to be conventional? I don't believe so. In fact I refuse to accept that. Every shot may not be to everyone's taste but at least an effort was made to think laterally.

How boring would it be if every photo from an indoor cycling track meet was the same old, side on photo of a rider going fast on the embankment.

Break some moulds.

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 11, 2012 13:07 |  #12

Hatchplot wrote in post #15232991 (external link)
#3 Why not? It is a different angle and it shows what the rider is doing. I also believe it gets the viewer thinking. Does every photo at an event have to be conventional? I don't believe so. In fact I refuse to accept that.

Classic 'straw man' argument. It's one of the most common logical fallacies used; exaggerate the opposing side's point of view to then tear it down as ridiculousness. Where did I or anyone else ever say that all photos need to be conventional? I'm pretty sure I (and the others) were referring to the less-than-ideal camera angle shooting between a man's legs who happens to be wearing bike pants/shorts...

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Hatchplot
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 11, 2012 13:40 |  #13

I apologise. I see where we were missing each other. I was having a discussion and you were having an argument. You would do well to relax a little.

Anyway, if you read poster #1 you will see that he is adamant that I leave the infield photos to someone with a smartphone, and concentrate on 'action', defined (as I understand it) from his critique as bikes going round and round the track. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it is an opinion he holds and he articulated it well, and I'll certainly keep it in mind next time I'm at the track.

If your real objection to image 3 is that you think it is a less than flattering angle, then I have to suppose that your concern is more Calvinistic and less aesthetic, in which case you will positively crap yourself when I tell you that the rider is female.

However if you have a good look at that image, you will see that her 'derrier' is in strong shadow and has no form or definition (other than in your minds eye I suspect) and I think you will find that the eye is in fact drawn by the strong light, frame of the legs and leading lines of the arms toward the carbon fibre wheel, which was the intention.

Mister ­ Scott
29 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 11, 2012 17:57 |  #14

Hatchplot wrote in post #15230071 (external link)
Fair enough. You've been involved in track for 35 years so obviously have seen plenty of track images. I've been involved for less than 24 hours and have plenty to learn still. That's the joy of what we do I think.

BTW the flash is a standard Canon 600EX speedlight.

So what would you do differently next time as regards lenses, settings or vantage points.
I'd like to try this sometime.

Seapup
Goldmember
2,728 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2012 02:50 |  #15

Hatchplot wrote in post #15232991 (external link)
#3 Why not? It is a different angle and it shows what the rider is doing. I also believe it gets the viewer thinking. Does every photo at an event have to be conventional? I don't believe so. In fact I refuse to accept that. Every shot may not be to everyone's taste but at least an effort was made to think laterally.

How boring would it be if every photo from an indoor cycling track meet was the same old, side on photo of a rider going fast on the embankment.

Break some moulds.

+1... awesome shots Chris.

IMAGE: http://seapup.com/Web_Tools/thumbsup2.GIF

Canon 5D2 | 60D | A620 | SD850 IS | SD4000 IS
Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

sponsored links

3,532 views & 0 likes for this thread
Track Cycling
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.