Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Nov 2012 (Sunday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

It's LENS. Not LENSE!!!

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 10, 2012 08:46 |  #166

digital paradise wrote in post #15229485 (external link)
However I do not dislike it as much as this term. Synch. That makes me batty. To me it is "sync speed" not "synch speed". Synch to me describes something simple like "moving that piano over was a real synch". Not sure how synch is spelt when used in that term. My mind always pronounces the h like in "lunch" when reading synch. It must be is a correct term as it shows no spelling error. Still bugs me - a lot.

Sorry for going off topic. Did not think this deserved a thread of it's own.

"sync" or "synch" are both just attempts at abbreviation. The real word is "synchronization" So you can see where the 'h' comes from.

The other word you are looking for is "cinch". The literal meaning is pulling together cords or straps. The connotation is something that is simple or easy to do.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,459 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 10, 2012 09:10 |  #167

I know both sync and synch are abbreviations. Still bugs me. My mind just can't shut down the h :confused: Thanks for cinch spelling.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

2ndviolinman
346 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 10, 2012 09:11 |  #168

Much discussion on this forum has to do with the giving and taking of advice. When I read a post written by someone who cannot spell words in their field of purported expertise, I'm off to the next post.

It is not the writer who decides if spelling or grammar matters, it is the reader. If you want to be a convincing writer, proper spelling helps. If you do not care one way or the other, why write?

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 10, 2012 09:17 |  #169

2ndviolinman wrote in post #15229544 (external link)
Much discussion on this forum has to do with the giving and taking of advice. When I read a post written by someone who cannot spell words in their field of purported expertise, I'm off to the next post.

It is not the writer who decides if spelling or grammar matters, it is the reader. If you want to be a convincing writer, proper spelling helps. If you do not care one way or the other, why write?

To be fair, the most common encounters of "lense' comes from newcomers. The typical appearance of the non-word usually looks like:

"I just got a new dSLR and I was thinking about adding a lense or two. What would be good to look at?"

One rarely sees experienced photographers using the term, mainly because they encounter a thread like this one sooner or later. And despite all the odd protests in this thread, few people persist in being wrong on spelling once they learn of their error. Few people like to appear ignorant.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 10, 2012 09:17 |  #170

breney wrote in post #15205723 (external link)
Just wanted to vent there :)

I thought I smelled something. ;)

Thank you. bw!

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2012 09:29 |  #171

Im guilty of this misspelling. Lens- lense. Dont sweat the small stuff. Life is too short to worry about what other people do.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 10, 2012 09:41 |  #172

skygod44 wrote in post #15208823 (external link)
Simon
[PS: I'm an English teacher 'on-the-side' in Japan, so this matters to me, more than to most of you I expect.]

And how does one pronounce Nikon in Japan??
;) ;) ;)

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

auto-clicker
819 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 10, 2012 10:17 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #173

English is a tough language to master but there are many "trained linguists" among us :rolleyes:

w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 10, 2012 11:37 |  #174

JimmyJam wrote in post #15229428 (external link)
Have to admit I'm a "lens" purist as well. When faced with people who claim that "lense" is "also correct", I ask for a PUBLISHED example in any formal magazine such as PopPhoto, Outdoor Photography, or the like, or any book by the revered folks such as Scott Kelby, Bryan Peterson, or the like. Never have I seen "lense" used in those situation. My position is that "lense" is on the same level as "ain't", "irregardless", and other bastardizations that are not just incorrect, but put the user in the bad light of ignorance. Mere usage does not condone illiteracy.

Could any of our British friends who might have a UK-edited/published version of a popular mag or book check to see if "lense" is used in them? I have some UK magazines, and don't see it in any of them.

If I wanted this thread to go on forever, I could write that the "Bard," William Shakespeare used ain't and that his English is modern english. But, I won't.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2012 11:42 |  #175

That's another word I get screwed up sometimes.... Bored and board....

I believe one really learn humor when you can laugh at yourself.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 10, 2012 12:07 |  #176

auto-clicker wrote in post #15229747 (external link)
English is a tough language to master but there are many "trained linguists" among us :rolleyes:

I would hazard a guess that there are one or two cunning linguists as well.:)

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

drzenitram
824 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 10, 2012 12:11 |  #177

DunnoWhen wrote in post #15230016 (external link)
I would hazard a guess that there are one or two cunning linguists as well.:)

dirty.

| Bodies - 5D Mark II, T2i | Lenses - Helios 44-2, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, Tamron SP AF 1.4x TC | Lights - 430ex ii x2, Random 3rd party strobes

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 10, 2012 12:31 as a reply to  @ post 15205864 |  #178

OK, I wasn't going to bring this up, but since breny started this thread... why is lense pronounced len-z, but sense is pronounced cents? -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 10, 2012 13:07 |  #179

I think someone said once that English language was cobbled up by two drunken men armed with a German dictionary :)

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 10, 2012 13:36 |  #180

alazgr8 wrote in post #15230080 (external link)
OK, I wasn't going to bring this up, but since breny started this thread... why is lense pronounced len-z

It's not. 'lens' and 'lenz' have subtly different pronounciations.

alazgr8 wrote in post #15230080 (external link)
but sense is pronounced cents

Again, it's not. When pronounced correctly the 't' is 'cents' should be audible.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

23,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
It's LENS. Not LENSE!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.