Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Nov 2012 (Monday) 21:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tried to pull a fast one...

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2012 14:42 |  #46

Curtis N wrote in post #15213844 (external link)
If the Senior package is priced higher because it involves X,Y and Z products or services that the family package does not, then the OP missed an opportunity to explain that, and sell it.

On the other hand, if his senior package involves the same products and services as his family package but with a higher price tag, then the OP got caught in his own pricing problem.

Hopefully the OP has learned from this experience and will take another look at his pricing, sales strategy and client communication. Otherwise this will happen again, with the same outcome.

cdifoto wrote in post #15221145 (external link)
I'll book a senior portrait session but if Grandma wants me to spend the 2 hours photographing her cat and run over the time allotted that's fine by me. We'll just book another session.

There's no such thing as a "two for" here. There's only a "whatever time allows" at my business.

+1 to both!

The only possible exception, is if its a ala carte type prints outside of the package. The reason for this is because there are certain things that obviously sell more than others, so if i spend 4 hrs photographing grandma and her kitty, i will not be making as much as if i spent 4 hrs photographing that newborn, were i not to price differently. Of course its my job to make my pricing clear and offer incentives related to each job so that it makes sense to clients.

So a package where alot of prints may be purchased, might have a lower entry price than one where few prints might be purchased. But this sort of stuff has to be clear in advance, if people don't understand your pricing, issues like this will come up constantly, and i don't think they're trying to pull a fast one, they're just trying to get their value's worth and you left them confused.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 10, 2012 18:03 as a reply to  @ Csae's post |  #47

Looking at all the responses (well....most of them) I am reminded of when I first started out.
There were many surprises for me in the ordering and sales department.
I boiled down to creating a plan that accommodates surprises.

More people? No problem. Time permitting, I take what I can.

Want to play fast and loose with my product list? No problem! Build your own package with built in discounts and all the wackety-doo-dah you want.

I do charge a proper session fee to cover my time. If I am so unfortunate to have someone decide they want to order small I am still coming out fair. Not wonderful. Wonderful is up to my selling and presentation skills.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,170 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tried to pull a fast one...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.