Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gun safe to store camera gear?

MolonLabe
37 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 09, 2012 15:56 |  #16

marchboom wrote in post #15222765 (external link)
Keep in mind that you will be putting other valuables in the safe so get one larger than what you think you'll need. Some insurance companies might even give you a discount because you have a safe.

I use the large silica bags (in boxes) to soak up any moisture rather than an electrical device. In 25 yrs I've not had any moisture damage problems. When the indicator turns pink (instead of blue) you put the bags in the oven for a few hours and that drys it out and it's good for another 3-4 months. Got mine at Cabela's.

Always go bigger. Much bigger.

A good safe, especially if you are INVESTING in something in the 1,000 pound range will last you a lifetime and then some.

Everyone has personal preferences but I like the combo dial. The ones in the 800+ pound range have locking dials and you can 'day lock' them.

Electronic locks lose a layer of security and eventually, they will fail. With combo locks they will last for thousands of openings and as they start to fail, you will notice it. It won't be like the electronic where one day the just stop working.

Anyway, it's a great idea. Maybe you'll get a gun or two to help defend yourself and the house too ;)

Canon T4i, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM Lens. 430exII speedlite. Canon G11 PnS.

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 09, 2012 18:14 |  #17

Here in the UK if you want to store guns then they have to be in a steel cabinet Rawlbolted to the wall. My gun cabinet (made by a local steel fabricator) holds all my camera gear in backpacks, though I intend to put in shelves soon. I don't worry about the weight of the cabinet as it is fixed to a 2 foot thick stone wall (the norm in my part of the world). I have had 4 burglaries - they have looked but haven't even bothered trying to get into it!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

bigjohninva
Goldmember
2,206 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 09, 2012 18:26 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #18

Me to, in the gun safe.
next to is just as $$$$$ . in guns
not the best but 5 foot tall and heavy.
stops the fast and grab.
John

Bigjohninva

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 09, 2012 19:23 |  #19

Doesn't everybody keep Canons in their gun safe? :)

Tim
Equipment

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 09, 2012 19:50 |  #20

I have an old Liberty safe that we have in our storm shelter which is a 12"x12" cast concrete room in the house. We have a goldenrod heater in ours for humidity control.

don't get too over confident in fire ratings in safes. Everyone that I know that has had a house fire that has a safe in it everything inside it was still cooked. This is one of the reason we have ours in the storm room to reduce the fire risk.

I do also have $8000 worth the insurance on my gear that costs me $100 a year. Can't beat that at all.

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2012 11:12 |  #21

jakefreese wrote in post #15228171 (external link)
I have an old Liberty safe that we have in our storm shelter which is a 12"x12" cast concrete room in the house. We have a goldenrod heater in ours for humidity control.

don't get too over confident in fire ratings in safes. Everyone that I know that has had a house fire that has a safe in it everything inside it was still cooked. This is one of the reason we have ours in the storm room to reduce the fire risk.

I do also have $8000 worth the insurance on my gear that costs me $100 a year. Can't beat that at all.

A good friend had his house burn to the ground, he was on a cruise so I dealt with the firemen and finding and getting his safe opened. The fire was hot enough to melt the wheels on the car in the garage and warp the table on his table saw, the firemen told me there was a "lot of fuel". I found his safe, it was pretty easy to find in the garage, the firemen opened it and while ammo in ammo cans in it had "cooked off (bullets had popped out) the stock certificates he had stored in it were fine. A little singed on the edges but good enough to use. It did it's job.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,363 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 10, 2012 21:46 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #22

Igot my gun safe at a local gun store. I keep guns, camera gear and other things in it. I have it bolted to the wall.

Just remember what ever you do and get it is just a deterrent. If someone whats it or in it bad enough and has the time and tools they can get it or in it.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 10, 2012 22:27 |  #23

I put all my lens and bodies inside airtight plastic container, with a rechargeable dehumidifier.
Very convinient for thieves to carry out of the house. :)
I only put them inside the safe when I'm gone for a long time - not that it matters anyway, since I've other more expensive toys inside the house for the thieves to clean up anyway. They need to defeat the home alarm first tho.

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

JPepus
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 10, 2012 22:36 |  #24

I use a Craftsman locking tool chest with drawers.

trainwrecker556
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 10, 2012 22:47 |  #25

Everyone should have a safe, it's not just for guns and cameras. Rule of thumb is to spend as much on a safe as the value of it's contents, since you'd spend that much to replace the items in a worst case scenario anyways. Get one twice as big as you think you would need, they fill up quick. Have it bolted down, some foundations can be damaged if you dont know what you're doing, and face it against load bearing walls so that prying it open is difficult. Important documents go inside a mini fire rated lockbox, and then that goes in the safe, don't know if it would make a difference, but I feel better stacking extra protection.

5D Mark III, 70-200L 2.8 II, 85L 1.2 II, 24-70L 2.8 II
Elinchrom/Profoto

trainwrecker556
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 10, 2012 22:58 |  #26

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M (external link)

Elinchrom/Profoto

FREEZE
607 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 10, 2012 23:16 |  #27

we sell liberty safes branded for John Deere. They all carry a fire rating which is based on how long paper will last in the safe in a 1200 degree fire. If you are storing items such as disks they need the extra protection of a media cooler to keep them safe.

Freeze:cool:

JPepus
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 11, 2012 01:02 |  #28

trainwrecker556 wrote in post #15231643 (external link)
Everyone should have a safe, it's not just for guns and cameras. Rule of thumb is to spend as much on a safe as the value of it's contents, since you'd spend that much to replace the items in a worst case scenario anyways. Get one twice as big as you think you would need, they fill up quick. Have it bolted down, some foundations can be damaged if you dont know what you're doing, and face it against load bearing walls so that prying it open is difficult. Important documents go inside a mini fire rated lockbox, and then that goes in the safe, don't know if it would make a difference, but I feel better stacking extra protection.

I don't necessarily agree. If I have say $30,000 in camera gear, I'm not going to buy a $30,000 safe. Why? Because insurance for that much is cheaper and will replace it all.

trainwrecker556
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 11, 2012 01:51 |  #29

Well, of course, it's not a law or a hard rule, more a saying that promotes buying quality. Most people aren't gonna build a full vault. There are also ripple effects. By not having a safe, or an easily defeatable safe, victims make burglary a profitable endeavor. What a criminal gains from it can be worse than what you lose. Since they got such a nice payday the first time, it's likely they will target that same house again, and the harm suffered may be worse than financial. Having said that, everyone is free to do and buy whatever they are comfortable with. In the end, I just want everyone to be "safe" haha.

Elinchrom/Profoto

bkj
151 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 11, 2012 07:54 as a reply to  @ trainwrecker556's post |  #30

As others have said, get it bigger than you think you will ever need. Besides allowing room for more camera gear, you will use the safe to store many more items than you think you will. Important papers, computer backups, software, jewelry, watches and more.

Brad

Gear List

sponsored links

14,401 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gun safe to store camera gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.