Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 09:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So who's buying the 6D?

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,544 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 10, 2012 16:55 |  #151

Alex_Mk3 wrote in post #15230654 (external link)
Here is the way I see it. Why would I buy a 4 year old camera with old technology?

But that's the problem, the camera's core technology is the same. It's the same sensor as 4 years ago and the AF, though re-designed, is essentially the same as well. Wi-Fi and GPS are nice features but are they enough to distinguish the 6D from the MkII? For some I suppose it is.

$300 difference to me is not a whole lot and dont throw the "you can buy used" card on me because I will not buy a used camera. So many things that can go wrong no matter how well it was taken care off.

Because the 5DMkII can still be bought new. You do not have to go to the used market to get one. A 4 year old new 5DMkII is essentially the same as the brand new 6D for less money. Sure the 6D has some improvement, but there are others the MkII does better.

Full frame obviously, and since I will be new to full frame I believe this is the perfect beginner camera for that (Even thought I been shooting for many years and I know what I'm doing)

New technology, I think the WiFi and GPS features are really cool and I can see my self using them a lot.

And lastly, I own a 60D now, which has almost the same button layout and same size. Uses SD cards and same LPE6 batteries that alone will save me some money.

Don't get me wrong, the 5D I & II are amazing cameras but to each their own. No reason to go bash what people buy. After all everyone has their own reasons as why they pick certain products and people should respect that.

Those are good reasons and as I mentioned, for those that are not shooting a FF body today, the 6D might be a perfect upgrade path. But the original contention was that 5DMkII owners were bashing the 6D and though I think bashing is a bit strong, I tried to show why a MkII owner would be really disappointed in the camera. For me, a 5DMkII with GPS and WiFi is not a 4 year development project. It's almost as if Canon panicked after seeing the D600 and asked their engineers to toss something together quickly.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 10, 2012 17:47 |  #152
bannedPermanent ban

Here is the way I see it. Why would I buy a 4 year old camera with old technology? $300 difference to me is not a whole lot and dont throw the "you can buy used" card on me because I will not buy a used camera. So many things that can go wrong no matter how well it was taken care off.

Now with that said...Here are the main reasons as why I will be getting a 6D.

Full frame obviously, and since I will be new to full frame I believe this is the perfect beginner camera for that (Even thought I been shooting for many years and I know what I'm doing)

New technology, I think the WiFi and GPS features are really cool and I can see my self using them a lot.

And lastly, I own a 60D now, which has almost the same button layout and same size. Uses SD cards and same LPE6 batteries that alone will save me some money.

Don't get me wrong, the 5D I & II are amazing cameras but to each their own. No reason to go bash what people buy. After all everyone has their own reasons as why they pick certain products and people should respect that.

I don't think anyone is bashing anything...little sensitive are we? I am just putting out an option to save $900 and basically get the same results in photos at the end of the day.

As far as buying used...most of my gear is used and I would say on average I have save roughly 40% over buying new. Again, thst is an option that is worth considering.

AlexTakesPhotos
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 10, 2012 17:57 |  #153

Hogloff wrote in post #15230845 (external link)
I don't think anyone is bashing anything...little sensitive are we? I am just putting out an option to save $900 and basically get the same results in photos at the end of the day.

sensitive? lol...no. i honestly dont give a single **** what you *******s think of the camera. i like it and i will be getting it.

save $900 and get the same results? hmmmm no. the camera is not out yet and you cant start assuming that it will perform the same way or get same results as a 4 year old camera.

Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

gjl711
55,544 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 10, 2012 18:05 |  #154

Alex_Mk3 wrote in post #15230874 (external link)
save $900 and get the same results? hmmmm no. the camera is not out yet and you cant start assuming that it will perform the same way or get same results as a 4 year old camera.

That's what I am waiting to see and I am hopeful. If Canon puts out a camera with a sensor that matches the Exmore sensor or an AF that is on par with the MkIII AF with fewer focus points, I would upgrade in a minute. But I am not getting that feeling. I'm thinking that it will be basically the same sensor as in the 5DMkII and 5DMkIII maybe with the in camera jpeg setting tuned up a little for a greater mass market appeal and a AF that might be a tad better than the 5DMkI/5DMkII but no where as good as the MkIII. So don't be so sensitive, no one is saying don't upgrade. If it works for you then great. I believe that what is being said is that for others for whom GPS and WiFi are not so important, they can get the same camera new for a significant amount less. At the end of the day, it's your decision.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 10, 2012 18:34 |  #155
bannedPermanent ban

Alex_Mk3 wrote in post #15230874 (external link)
sensitive? lol...no. i honestly dont give a single **** what you *******s think of the camera. i like it and i will be getting it.

Ummmm...yes I can. I rented the 5D3 and it gave me the same results as my 5D2. Why should I think an entry level camera will give me better results than one of Canon flagship cameras? Same sensor tech...same results. Save yourself $900 and buy a 5D2 and use the remaining money on some good glass. That will give you better results.

AlexTakesPhotos
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 10, 2012 18:35 |  #156

maybe you dont know what you're doing? just a thought... :)

Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,649 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 10, 2012 18:38 |  #157

It is smaller and lighter, WiFi ( which is actually really cool ) GPS and I am sure some other newer features that make make it worth while for some over a 5D2 or maybe a 5d3 depending on what your needs are.

Having a 5D2 already I don't know if its for me but I did get a 60D when it was first released because I needed a second body. I liked many features and 1 big one was the smaller size/weight. Its a great camera that was bashed to death before anyone got to try it.

So basically it's for you or its not. A 5d2 is a great affordable way into full frame but each camera has some features that may or may not work. If I did not have a 5d2 I would be seriously considering it but it seems this camera was marketed to those who don't own full frame. At least it seems that way but I will go on a limb and say this camera will be a huge success, just like the 60d.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 10, 2012 18:38 |  #158
bannedPermanent ban

Alex_Mk3 wrote in post #15230976 (external link)
maybe you dont know what you're doing? just a thought... :)

Keep thinking...

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 11, 2012 01:05 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #159

5D2 versus 6D.
- Bigger is not always better.
- 5D2's sensors' sensitivy is years (maybe four) behind of the sensor of 6D's.

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 11, 2012 04:43 as a reply to  @ clacson's post |  #160

I disagree with people who say that the AF of the 6D is basically the same as the AF of the 5D2. While we cannot really be sure for now, we do have the specs available and the difference between focusing down to -3EV and down to -0.5EV is H-U-G-E especially for people who are into night photography. First comments so far from people who had a quick hands-on with the 6D also say that the AF of the 6D feels faster than the AF of the 5D2.

And another thing that people tend to forget is the light meter inside of the 6D and 5D2. The 5D2 still uses a prehistoric one with only 35 zones while the 6D had the same meter as the one in e.g. the 7D (which has 63 zones).

If you really have big hands and the 6D is too small for you or if you need a flash sync of 1/200s or if you need a max shutterspeed of 1/8000s, then go for the 5D2. In all other cases the 6D is simply the better camera (on paper). If you only buy new equipment and don't need the things I mentioned 2 sentences earlier, then the 6D is the way to go if you can't afford/justify the 5D3. However I do understand that people won't upgrade from the 5D2 to the 6D.

People also need to stop seeing the 6D as a 5D2 upgrade. They are representing another product line. The only successor to the 5D2 is the 5D3. The 6D is a camera that lives next to the 5D2/3, hence that's why it is called a 6D and not a 5D2,5.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,900 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 11, 2012 13:34 |  #161

jocau wrote in post #15232181 (external link)
People also need to stop seeing the 6D as a 5D2 upgrade. They are representing another product line. The only successor to the 5D2 is the 5D3. The 6D is a camera that lives next to the 5D2/3, hence that's why it is called a 6D and not a 5D2,5.

this is important fact that a lot of people seem to be forgetting.

people are wanting the a cheaper camera with all the bells and whistles of the 5dmk3. that's never going to happen ever.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,912 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 11, 2012 13:55 |  #162

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15233469 (external link)
this is important fact that a lot of people seem to be forgetting.

people are wanting the a cheaper camera with all the bells and whistles of the 5dmk3. that's never going to happen ever.

Agree, but the Nikon D600 has a lot more bells and whistles at a similar price point. as pointed out ad nauseum. That's one of the reasons that people are concerned about the 6D. of course the 6D's -3EV is a big plus, as is the built in GPS and the wifi. But, until the AF is seen in practice people are naturally going to question 11 focus point with only 1 cross type.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Mark0159
12,900 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 11, 2012 14:03 |  #163

mwsilver wrote in post #15233530 (external link)
Agree, but the Nikon D600 has a lot more bells and whistles at a similar price point. as pointed out ad nauseum. That's one of the reasons that people are concerned about the 6D. of course the 6D's -3EV is a big plus, as is the built in GPS and the wifi. But, until the AF is seen in practice people are naturally going to question 11 focus point with only 1 cross type.

yea so far the Nikon seems like a better camera but since no one has used the 6D then it's pointless trying to compare.

And lets say that the Nikon is a better camera then how many people can afford to jump ship at the drop of a hat. I know I can't. Even if I sold all my gear that's related to brand there is no way I would get that setup in Nikon without spending more than the cost of a 6D.

So why should I bother even looking at the Nikon. the camera is to record the photograph and both cameras are going to just that just fine. If you know what your doing the limitations on a body is something you can work around.

You know the old saying where a pro can get great shots regardless of camera. that's is true because all they care about is recording the photograph not the gear that goes with it.

Mark
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

gjl711
55,544 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 11, 2012 14:15 |  #164

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15233469 (external link)

But it has happened, just not in the Canon line up.

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15233547 (external link)
And lets say that the Nikon is a better camera then how many people can afford to jump ship at the drop of a hat. I know I can't. Even if I sold all my gear that's related to brand there is no way I would get that setup in Nikon without spending more than the cost of a 6D.

And that's what Canon is counting on. I too am too heavily invested in Canon to switch. But once, not long ago it use to be the other way around. Canon put out the better camera and at a better price point. Many got into Canon because their bodies had better features, better IQ and were cheaper. Even their lenses were better and cheaper. That seems to have reversed and Nikon is putting out better cameras with more features at a better price point. Maybe those of us that are already invested in Canon can't switch but I can't in good conscience recommend Canon to someone just starting off.

Mark0159
12,900 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 11, 2012 14:30 |  #165

gjl711 wrote in post #15233573 (external link)
But it has happened, just not in the Canon line up.

And that's what Canon is counting on. I too am too heavily invested in Canon to switch. But once, not long ago it use to be the other way around. Canon put out the better camera and at a better price point. Many got into Canon because their bodies had better features, better IQ and were cheaper. Even their lenses were better and cheaper. That seems to have reversed and Nikon is putting out better cameras with more features at a better price point. Maybe those of us that are already invested in Canon can't switch but I can't in good conscience recommend Canon to someone just starting off.

so then what, lets say that in 4 years time Canon cameras have got features that are better than the rest. should one jump ship again.

I have had my 40D for 4 years. Before the 6D came out I was going to look at the 5Dmk2 but I was also looking at getting wifi card also. While shooting macro around the house it would be nice to transfer photos while I am outside. Now the 6D matches what I need. the defineing factor of any camera is the photos. is some how the Nikon going to make my photos better. I have never had a problem with banding on any of the canon cameras I have used. I don't shoot in that much low light where I have to push a photo that far so that's not an issue. I don't recall any time where 1/8000 has been what I have had to shoot at because there is soooo much light. Well a couple of times but that's when the ISO has been set too high in direct sunshine. (that's more user error than anything)

the buttons on top, well the only thing that is missing is flash exp comp. wow that's a big loss. Most of my flash work is on subjects that are still so having 1/200 really isn't needed.

again it comes down to know what your doing.

And if the limitations on 6D are a factor then I will learn how to get around it but I see more benefits from the 6D than the 5D2 and since I can't change to Nikon then that's out of the question.

Mark

sponsored links

60,940 views & 0 likes for this thread
So who's buying the 6D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.