Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Mar 2008 (Tuesday) 20:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: The Gimp - free alternative to Photoshop

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 18, 2012 00:25 |  #346

CaterhamF1 wrote in post #14869255 (external link)
The latter - black whitish grey, how to I fix it. It did it as soon as I downloaded it, first time I ever used it. Thanks.

Urgh. I was afraid you'd ask me that. ;-)a The first thing I'd try is to re-download the program, perhaps from a different site if there's a choice. But assuming that doesn't help:

I'm a Unix/Linux expert, not a Mac expert. However, Macs run a variant of Unix under the covers. So let's give this a try:

In the Finder window, click on Applications on the left, then scroll down to Utilities and open that folder. Inside Utilities, near the bottom, you'll find Terminal. Launch that. You'll get a small white window with black text.

Click on the Terminal window so that you can type in it, and type this:

gimp

and hit the Enter key. What should happen is that Gimp launches properly. But what will actually happen is that you'll get the same behavior you've already seen, but a bunch of messages will appear in the Terminal window. Cut and paste those messages into a posting here, and I'll try to puzzle it out.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

sponsored links
Heycoop ­ Photography
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 18, 2012 00:27 |  #347

gkuenning wrote in post #14873293 (external link)
Urgh. I was afraid you'd ask me that. ;-)a The first thing I'd try is to re-download the program, perhaps from a different site if there's a choice. But assuming that doesn't help:

I'm a Unix/Linux expert, not a Mac expert. However, Macs run a variant of Unix under the covers. So let's give this a try:

In the Finder window, click on Applications on the left, then scroll down to Utilities and open that folder. Inside Utilities, near the bottom, you'll find Terminal. Launch that. You'll get a small white window with black text.

Click on the Terminal window so that you can type in it, and type this:

gimp

and hit the Enter key. What should happen is that Gimp launches properly. But what will actually happen is that you'll get the same behavior you've already seen, but a bunch of messages will appear in the Terminal window. Cut and paste those messages into a posting here, and I'll try to puzzle it out.

You're gonna be real pleased to hear this - I tried the other site option and it worked! Cheers

Body: Canon 450D Gripped
Lenses: Canon 70-200 F4 L, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 1.4x Tele Converter
Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 18, 2012 00:32 |  #348

CaterhamF1 wrote in post #14873300 (external link)
You're gonna be real pleased to hear this - I tried the other site option and it worked! Cheers

Yay! You're right that I'm pleased. Twice, actually: once for having no work for me, and again that now you get to play with The Gimp.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

Heycoop ­ Photography
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 18, 2012 01:25 |  #349

gkuenning wrote in post #14873310 (external link)
Yay! You're right that I'm pleased. Twice, actually: once for having no work for me, and again that now you get to play with The Gimp.

Haha, awesome. Now are you able to give me a run through of the basics, I'm not very good with this sort of stuff!

Body: Canon 450D Gripped
Lenses: Canon 70-200 F4 L, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 1.4x Tele Converter
Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 18, 2012 09:17 |  #350

Google "gimp tutorial". The top hit is for the official one; there are also videos and sites dedicated to tutorials.

Geoff

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 18, 2012 09:35 |  #351

Also a couple of habits I've found useful. First, I always duplicate the original photo as a new layer before I start work. That way, I can compare with the original by just turning off the top layers. Second, I've mostly stopped using tedious outline selection to work on small areas. Instead I'll duplicate a layer, add transparency, and do the effect on the entire duplicate. Then I add a transparency mask and use a soft brush to paint in where I want the effect to show.

(If none of that makes sense, no worries. Just do a few tutorials until you understand layers and masks. They're the most important thing in any image program.)

Geoff

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,515 posts
Gallery: 677 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 18, 2012 19:02 |  #352

gkuenning wrote in post #14873293 (external link)
However, Macs run a variant of Unix under the covers.

Saying that is the same as saying a Buggati Veyron is built on a tweaked Ford Model T chassis.

:rolleyes:

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 05, 2012 12:54 |  #353

Does anyone else have problems with the latest Gimp 2.8.2 brushes being extremely laggy in Windows 7 x64 bit ? It's so bad I am reverting back to 2.6.

Added: well, I reverted. The lag is gone. Hope they fix it in the next version.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 06, 2012 17:55 |  #354

Amamba wrote in post #15209892 (external link)
Does anyone else have problems with the latest Gimp 2.8.2 brushes being extremely laggy in Windows 7 x64 bit ? It's so bad I am reverting back to 2.6.

Added: well, I reverted. The lag is gone. Hope they fix it in the next version.

Yes, I have it too. After version 2.8.2 it went better, but not perfect. If I import a Tiff created with Canon DPP, I will need to use SPACE instead of clicking at the mouse.

Some pictures (external link)
IR-converterd 1000D, D30, M5, 7D, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 300/2,8L IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, Helios 58/2 - - - - RawTherapee (external link), DPP (external link), Photomatix (external link), Darktable (external link), Luminance HDR (external link), GIMP 2.9.3, Darktable (external link)

simak
114 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 10, 2012 14:13 |  #355

Thinking about to use GIMP instead of lightroom.
Does anyone processed raws to jpgs in GIMP?
Or it is only for processing JPGs only like photoshop?

Sorry for bad english.
I photograph from february 2008
Gear list | my flickr (external link) | simashin flickr tools (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 10, 2012 14:43 |  #356

You could use a plug-in for Gimp. There are some available, but I'm not a Gimp user and don't have any names or details. You can also get stand-alone Raw processors, such as Raw Therapee, and then process the converted results in Gimp.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 10, 2012 22:16 |  #357

simak wrote in post #15230291 (external link)
Thinking about to use GIMP instead of lightroom.
Does anyone processed raws to jpgs in GIMP?
Or it is only for processing JPGs only like photoshop?

I am using RawTherapee and export files to GIMP. Else, UFRaw is a program that I think you can merge together with GIMP.

IR-converterd 1000D, D30, M5, 7D, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 300/2,8L IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, Helios 58/2 - - - - RawTherapee (external link), DPP (external link), Photomatix (external link), Darktable (external link), Luminance HDR (external link), GIMP 2.9.3, Darktable (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 11, 2012 10:07 |  #358

Ufraw is more or less seamlessly integrated With Gimp. However IMHO nothing comes close to DPP in quality. I do quick color and exposure corrections in DPP on a few photos at a time, then convert them and work in Gimp.

I did buy Corel Aftershot Pro and Paint Shop Pro early this year but somehow it's easier for meto get good results in DPP and Gimp.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

simak
114 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 11, 2012 14:16 |  #359

Thanks for answers.
I want to "say goodbye" for Windows and change it to Linux even at home.
The fast search gave me the darktable (external link), as a good free replacement for lightroom on Linux.
I will try RawTherapee too, as i see that people use it.
P.S. I hope i will brave enough to say goodbye to all this microsoft, adobe stuff :twisted:

Sorry for bad english.
I photograph from february 2008
Gear list | my flickr (external link) | simashin flickr tools (external link)

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 11, 2012 17:48 |  #360

simak wrote in post #15233578 (external link)
Thanks for answers.
I want to "say goodbye" for Windows and change it to Linux even at home.
The fast search gave me the darktable (external link), as a good free replacement for lightroom on Linux.
I will try RawTherapee too, as i see that people use it.
P.S. I hope i will brave enough to say goodbye to all this microsoft, adobe stuff :twisted:

I would love to try Darktable, but I do have Windows. My workflow (external link)in RawTherapee btw.

sponsored links

235,146 views & 7 likes for this thread
The Gimp - free alternative to Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.