Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 06:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Darktable 1.0

simak
114 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 11, 2012 14:36 |  #16

So, are there somebody who works in darktable? i want to give it a try to replace lightroom for me, but the activity in this thread says : "stop man". =)

Sorry for bad english.
I photograph from february 2008
Gear list | my flickr (external link) | simashin flickr tools (external link)

sponsored links
photogs_spouse
75 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 12, 2012 20:01 as a reply to  @ simak's post |  #17

those who had trouble with Darktable were:
1. not using Linux
2. or not willing to devote the time to learn a new program.

Judging by the google+ users I've observed over there, yes, there are people using it.
Is it right for you? You won't know until you try using it on a native Linux system.

In a nutshell, try darktable, try rawtherapee, rawstudio, Gimp, imageMagick, and Digicam on linux and see what works best for you.

I like it, but I am not you.

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2012 20:44 |  #18

simak wrote in post #15233636 (external link)
So, are there somebody who works in darktable? i want to give it a try to replace lightroom for me, but the activity in this thread says : "stop man". =)

Well, count me as another darktable user, and a happy one. I've been using it since version 0.6 if I remember correctly, and it helped me processed tons of RAW files since then. In my opinion, it's the best Linux RAW converter, though some people prefer RAWTherapee to it. I reckon both are very good, but they do differ quite a lot in the work flow.

Now, as the previous person said, darktable really only makes sense on Linux. There's no (and will probably never be a) Windows version, and while there is a Mac build available, it's considered highly experimental.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 17, 2012 13:44 |  #19

I'm primarily a windows user, I'm almost done converting all my hardware over from Apple products. I'm also a linux hobbyist since I started my career as a UNIX sysadmin. I use a headless Debian box for my firewall/gateway and file server.

Occasionally I'll fire up a Linux instance and play with RawTherapee and Gimp, those tools can produce a comparable end result to the Adobe products if you work with them long enough, but most of the time I need to work quickly and the Windows/Mac variants have an advantage in that regard. It's still easier to get better results. I had a brief play with darktable a while back and it's a competent RAW processor, it's amazing what the Open Source community is able to produce.

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

Isozoom
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 04, 2013 07:42 |  #20

simak wrote in post #15233636 (external link)

I am using darktable (version 1.1 under Mint linux) since a couple of months and it works surprisingly well. It has a lot of possibilities. Do not judge after a week of use. Take your time to discover the features.

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 12, 2013 11:06 |  #21

Isozoom wrote in post #15442881 (external link)
I am using darktable (version 1.1 under Mint linux) since a couple of months and it works surprisingly well. It has a lot of possibilities. Do not judge after a week of use. Take your time to discover the features.

Tried a Ubuntu Live CD with Darktable. I was impressed. Next week I will go back to my country and to my computer. I will install Ubuntu + Darktable.

Some pictures (external link)
IR-converterd 1000D, D30, M5, 7D, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 300/2,8L IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, Helios 58/2 - - - - RawTherapee (external link), DPP (external link), Photomatix (external link), Darktable (external link), Luminance HDR (external link), GIMP 2.9.3, Darktable (external link)

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 14, 2013 01:55 |  #22

I'm currently looking for alternatives. Personally speaking, I'm rather concerned with the direction that both Microsoft and Adobe are going - so are looking for a good reliable long term alternative. As such, I came across this post.

I've been a Photoshop user for quite some time now. (Currently on CS5). Almost purchased Lightroom 4 until someone pointed out to me Adobe's new upgrade policy - which has made me take a backwards step. I'm careful about investing both money and time (to learn) a new product - and are wondering whether Linux, Dark Table and GIMP will support me with what I need- and whether it's a good place to start looking?

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2013 19:06 |  #23

adza77 wrote in post #15713226 (external link)
I'm currently looking for alternatives. Personally speaking, I'm rather concerned with the direction that both Microsoft and Adobe are going - so are looking for a good reliable long term alternative. As such, I came across this post.

I've been a Photoshop user for quite some time now. (Currently on CS5). Almost purchased Lightroom 4 until someone pointed out to me Adobe's new upgrade policy - which has made me take a backwards step. I'm careful about investing both money and time (to learn) a new product - and are wondering whether Linux, Dark Table and GIMP will support me with what I need- and whether it's a good place to start looking?

Almost all my pictures are made by Open source software. The only thing I will miss when I change OS is Canon Digital Photo Professional.

IR-converterd 1000D, D30, M5, 7D, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 300/2,8L IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, Helios 58/2 - - - - RawTherapee (external link), DPP (external link), Photomatix (external link), Darktable (external link), Luminance HDR (external link), GIMP 2.9.3, Darktable (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2013 12:23 |  #24

adza77 wrote in post #15713226 (external link)
Almost purchased Lightroom 4 until someone pointed out to me Adobe's new upgrade policy - which has made me take a backwards step.?

Haven't read about it much lately... last I saw the upgrade policy changes didn't affect Lightroom, has that changed?

I'm glad to see Linux coming so far in the image editing space... unfortunately when I started getting heavy into it we had programs like Gimp, obviously.... but color management was a nightmare, and constant driver issues for my Wacom pen tablet and Spyder2 calibrator. I've heard the situation has changed, but not sure how much?

Although I do everything now through Lightroom (and usually Gimp on windows for a pixel-editor) I still do look over the fence. I'll have to remember DarkTable when I get around to setting up another Linux machine or partition.

I really wish the big players like Adobe could develop for the Linux platform. As much as I dislike Adobe's generally insanely high prices for CS... I found LR to be a worthwhile investment ( but I still only upgrade when the changes are worthwhile... I skipped LR3 because it wasn't a big enough improvement... LR4 however was therefore an impressive step forward from LR2.)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

Kumsa
225 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 22, 2013 20:27 as a reply to  @ davidcrebelxt's post |  #25

Darktable has added masks. That is in my top feature list of requirements--so I'm beginning to seriously evaluate it. Right now, masks is only in the dev version, but it's straightforward to add the PPA for Ubuntu.

As I get time, I'm going to do a bakeoff between AfterShot Pro, DPP (working well for me, under WINE), and Darktable.

EOS R / 6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Orlit Strobes / Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Linux Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / DarkTable / Zerene Stacker / Capture One 12

A.Jakob
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2009

May 09, 2013 13:37 |  #26

I just moved from LR to darktable. I was playing around with it since version 0.6. It is a solid piece of software. Running very fast and even in the dev version no prolems. And I'm missing nothing so far.

greetings from gemany
Andreas

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 20, 2013 03:09 |  #27

I have been using Darktable for a half year now. I love it. The best open source raw converter ever.
Take a look at this tutorial http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=1IiwfHY0ls0 (external link)

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 19, 2014 08:49 |  #28

I've been playing with Darktable for about a year, and didn't dislike it, but really didn't get the interface layout too well. Until yesterday.

I'm working on a time-lapse video and needed to process hundreds of individual frames, identical to each other, so I went to my favorites, Gimp and Ufraw. Six hours later, I was done with my first six second clip, but when I viewed it I could see it was still grossly underexposed in spots, so I'd have to discard the edits and start over.

I decided to see what, and if, Darktable could do to help me out. I found that suddenly the interface clicked with me, and I became more comfortable with the app. Once I got the first frame to my liking, I learned about saving the Style sheet, and applying it to all the other frames of the clip. I was amazed at how fast the whole process of applying styles, and exporting jpegs was compared to Gimp/Ufraw. In about an hour and a half I had all two hundred frames, with the correct exposure and color.

I could not be happier, and this is now my goto app for post processing of all kinds.

StillCrazy - after all these years.
Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
Darktable 1.0
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.