Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-M Had a play yesterday. Like it a lot!

drew
809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 10, 2012 11:29 as a reply to  @ post 15229303 |  #121

That's been my experience with the M too... the quality in that form factor is just awesome. There was next to zero learning curve since it's Canon and I know Canon. The camera isn't getting in the way of me taking photos whenever wherever, even in manual. The AF was a bit slow last night when taking pictures of the kids, but no worse than any P&S I've used.

7D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
drPheta
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 10, 2012 22:34 |  #122

I've been trying to follow this thread, but I didn't see it posted. What's the noise comparison with a 5D II or 7D?

- my vimeo - (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 11, 2012 00:32 |  #123

I think its a touch behind the 7d, enough to call it identical really.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

drPheta
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 11, 2012 08:43 |  #124

Awesome. My sister is looking for an easy to use camera that is better than most point and shoots (is open to really good point and shoot), but still small enough and versatile. I told her to look at mirrorless cameras from Oly and Sony, but this seems to have piqued my interest for her, too.

- my vimeo - (external link)

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 11, 2012 08:59 |  #125

drPheta wrote in post #15231609 (external link)
I've been trying to follow this thread, but I didn't see it posted. What's the noise comparison with a 5D II or 7D?

Noise is good to 3200.. 6400 it's starting to have alot of color noise, but detail is still there. 3200 is my limit.

Early Adopter

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 11, 2012 11:21 |  #126

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #15218697 (external link)
I got my EOS M yesterday. I never had a chance to play with one at a store beforehand. I love the build quality, look, and feel. The touch screen is awesome and really I didn’t have any issue with the interface as a whole

I setup my M just like my 5D2 with Manual mode, single center point AF, and back button focus. The AF speed seemed fine to me in good and bad light. It isn’t as quick as my 5D2, but I was pleasantly surprised after reading all the over the top online bashing. It may perform differently with the other AF modes, but I won't really use those very often. Of course I need more time with it to make a truly informed conclusion.

This camera is going to be a great walk-around/street camera as well as a great second/backup to my 5D2. I can’t wait to get the mount adapter and try out some of my other glass. I’m using the BlackRapid Snapr 20 for a strap/bag. The M fits pretty snug with the 22mm f/2, but it works.

I really hope the rumors of a EF-M 55mm f/1.3 are true.

Initial impression: LOVE THIS CAMERA!

How do you set back button focus? I can't see how...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

drew
809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 11, 2012 14:25 |  #127

RobDickinson wrote in post #15233030 (external link)
How do you set back button focus? I can't see how...

C.FnIV set to 3. Then the * button will AF/AE and a half press of the shutter does nothing.

7D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | flickr (external link)

CircuitR
787 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 11, 2012 14:38 |  #128

drew wrote in post #15233599 (external link)
C.FnIV set to 3. Then the * button will AF/AE and a half press of the shutter does nothing.

That looks a bit awkward. I think my thumb would get cramp in that position

5D mkII | 35L | 16-35mm F4 L IS | 50mm f1.4 USM | 135L |
EOS-M | 22mm f2 STM |
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

DutchVince
297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 11, 2012 15:31 as a reply to  @ CircuitR's post |  #129

This camera does not appeal to me at all: it has no viewfinder.

I'm not trying to troll, this is a serious question:
why would anyone want a camera without a viewfinder?

1. I really hate these lcd displays especially in the glare of the sun, you can't see anything on them.

2. There is no way to diopter correct an lcd. I can't focus nearby without glasses but I can see perfectly sharp in a viewfinder with diopter correction.

3. lcd's gobble battery power. Viewfinders don't.

4. With a viewfinder I can press my camera to my face adding some stability.
Holding an lcd a foot before my face is less stable and harder to frame precisely.

But I'm willing to learn: what is the appeal of this camera to some of you?

7D|400D|10-22|60 Macro|18-55|100-400L|600
Or: just about anything from real close to infinity
Mac Pro|calibrated Eizo monitor
Some of my photo's: http://www.allalin.nl/​photogallery/ (external link)

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 11, 2012 15:46 |  #130

DutchVince wrote in post #15233785 (external link)

1. I really hate these lcd displays especially in the glare of the sun, you can't see anything on them.

2. There is no way to diopter correct an lcd. I can't focus nearby without glasses but I can see perfectly sharp in a viewfinder with diopter correction.

Holding an lcd a foot before my face is less stable and harder to frame precisely.

well I'm sure Canon did some market research before making final specs..sell numbers in the end will tell us if they made a mistake or not.

Obviously you have made it quite clear the cam is not for you, so why even ask why others like it ? Not like it's going to change your mind.

Early Adopter

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 11, 2012 16:02 |  #131

drew wrote in post #15233599 (external link)

Thanks, found it, not exactly ergonomic..

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 11, 2012 16:09 |  #132

If it had a viewfinder I would probably not have bought it, due to size. Canon can't please everyone!

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

DutchVince
297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 11, 2012 16:12 |  #133

SPDnTRXI wrote in post #15233828 (external link)
well I'm sure Canon did some market research before making final specs..sell numbers in the end will tell us if they made a mistake or not.

Obviously you have made it quite clear the cam is not for you, so why even ask why others like it ? Not like it's going to change your mind.

I'm sure it will sell, there is a huge market: all around me I see more people looking at lcd screens (and all are complaining they can't see anything in the sun ;-)a ) than people looking through viewfinders.

But I have no use for them.

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 11, 2012 16:13 |  #134

appeal ? first of all, it takes pictures, and which even better than what you have with Iphone. Seriously, what you said are shortcomings of this EOS-M, but it is the only game in town if you want to stay with Canon or to take advantages of your L glasses.
For me, it can be used for walk-around and social gatherings. I don't like carrying the big 5d Mkii with L glasses walking around or going to parties

Here are what I think about your concerns.

1,2 : These are your specific problems, not for me or majority of people.
3 : Buy more batteries. I don't like it neither, but it is hardly deal-breaker.
4 : Don't like it too, but again this tiny thing will be used in some specific situations. It is not my only camera.

This version of EOS-M is certainly not perfect and it would not be able to function as your lone doing-verything camera. But I think I would stay with Canon and this new M system since 1) I want a small camera with interchangeable lenses, 2) don't want to complicate my life by trying and using a second- non Canon system.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

DutchVince
297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 11, 2012 16:16 |  #135

Echo Johnson wrote in post #15233879 (external link)
If it had a viewfinder I would probably not have bought it, due to size. Canon can't please everyone!

Size is a good point, for that I have a Canon 400d, for a dslr it is tiny, but it still has a viewfinder :)

And Canon pleased me very much with the 7D, the best camera I ever had.

sponsored links

53,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS-M Had a play yesterday. Like it a lot!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.