Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gun safe to store camera gear?

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 11, 2012 10:58 |  #31

JPepus wrote in post #15231924 (external link)
I don't necessarily agree. If I have say $30,000 in camera gear, I'm not going to buy a $30,000 safe. Why? Because insurance for that much is cheaper and will replace it all.

I'm with you. If I could afford 30k photo gears, I'd have a nice house in a safe neighborhood, with security system and insurance to boot. Anything less, IMO, is like living outside one's means. :)

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

sponsored links
NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 11, 2012 12:36 |  #32

bigpow wrote in post #15232958 (external link)
I'm with you. If I could afford 30k photo gears, I'd have a nice house in a safe neighborhood, with security system and insurance to boot. Anything less, IMO, is like living outside one's means. :)

Sadly there are no totally safe neighborhoods. Living on Gucci Hill should not be a prerequisite for enjoying and pursuing basic photography.
We were the victims of a huge wildfire a few years ago. The only thing that rivaled the agony of the losses was the 24-7, year long hassle with the insurance company.
My advice? ...Get a safe to deter the "easy lift" and for that warm, fuzzy feeling, get some insurance. Just don't be too disappointed when you learn they are on their side not "your side".

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 11, 2012 19:15 |  #33

NU27D wrote in post #15233308 (external link)
Sadly there are no totally safe neighborhoods. Living on Gucci Hill should not be a prerequisite for enjoying and pursuing basic photography.
We were the victims of a huge wildfire a few years ago. The only thing that rivaled the agony of the losses was the 24-7, year long hassle with the insurance company.
My advice? ...Get a safe to deter the "easy lift" and for that warm, fuzzy feeling, get some insurance. Just don't be too disappointed when you learn they are on their side not "your side".

Since when 30k is basic photography? For most people, basic photog is their iphone camera. LOL. I ran into similar thread at the porsche forum. Lol.

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2012 20:38 |  #34

Our local tractor supply store has great deals on gun safes.

If you have guns to put in there too, a safe makes good sense. Other than that you just want to guard against the grab-n-go. For that any decent locked cabinet will do.

as far as insurance, I see that more about gear getting stolen out of my car or damaged in an accident. Theft protection from my home is just a bonus.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

dandai
316 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 12, 2012 16:18 |  #35

ocabj wrote in post #15227215 (external link)
I prefer the gun safe idea along with insurance. Plus, you should have a gun safe anyway for your guns.

+ 1.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,747 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 12, 2012 21:13 |  #36

rick_reno wrote in post #15226207 (external link)
I have a Ft Knox safe, it's roughly 72"H x 41"W and 29"D and weighs almost 1800 lbs. and is rated to do well in a fire (I don't recall the details). I store rare books in it. The only thing I don't like about gun safes is they're an obvious target for a thief.

You have to take it to the next level, be creative............ki​ck it up a notch :)

http://www.youtube.com …OlHyuExz0&featu​re=related (external link)

Just U tube hidden gun rooms...

Best advice, get INSURANCE = Peace of mind !!! As another said, your covered in and out of home. Worse case scenerio, it goes in the DRINK, Wala you covered...

Right here on POTN, seen a fellow in Australia, returning home from a boating trip, towing boat, the vechile and boat flipped, both vechiles burnt to the ground including his camera equipment. He posted a image of the aftermath.. Lost everything..INSURANCE Ladies & Gentlemen....

My Gear flickr (external link)

KeithS
265 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 12, 2012 21:15 |  #37

I use a gun safe dedicated to camera equipment, documents, old photos and such, no guns. Firearms, with their solvents and oils may add destructive vapors.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 13, 2012 10:53 |  #38

Bianchi wrote in post #15238924 (external link)
You have to take it to the next level, be creative............ki​ck it up a notch :)

http://www.youtube.com …OlHyuExz0&featu​re=related (external link)

Just U tube hidden gun rooms...

Best advice, get INSURANCE = Peace of mind !!! As another said, your covered in and out of home. Worse case scenerio, it goes in the DRINK, Wala you covered...

Right here on POTN, seen a fellow in Australia, returning home from a boating trip, towing boat, the vechile and boat flipped, both vechiles burnt to the ground including his camera equipment. He posted a image of the aftermath.. Lost everything..INSURANCE Ladies & Gentlemen....

My attorney has one of these under his house, he had it built when he built the house. He collects machine guns and from what he told me they're worth a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if he had the contractor lobotomized who built this room for him.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,747 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 13, 2012 17:54 |  #39

[QUOTE=rick_reno;15240​647]My attorney has one of these under his house, he had it built when he built the house. He collects machine guns and from what he told me they're worth a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if he had the contractor lobotomized who built this room for him.[/QUOTE]

We think alike :):):)

My Gear flickr (external link)

Snapshot101
88 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 14, 2012 01:05 |  #40

All safes are not created equal

In my world you have to have safes. Under Writers Laboratory rates safes and if a safe is UL rated it will have a label on the door or the frame.

TL
TL 15
TL30
TRTL
TRTL30x6

The ratings refer to how long a safe will be tested for such as fire, tool resistant and torch resistant and also how many sides of the safe are protected.

Better safes have dual combination locks with a security key. Locks are rated also in terms of degree of difficulty to crack.

The better the safe rating the higher dollar amount an insurance company will insure the contents for.
Safes are only deterrents and can all be compromised by a skilled thief.

One of the nest solutions is to have a safe room that is not well ventilated with a smaller safe secured to the floor. Time is the crucial factor in terms of safe break ins. If a thief has to jump through hoops to get the the safe greater is the chance for he or her to fail. Also if they have to use a plasma torch to cut open the safe then a non ventilated room makes it more challenging for the thief as they have to bring in breathing equipment. The goal is to over burden the thief as much as possible.

Also mentioned on this thread are de-humidifiers. Gun safes use them and if you live in a humid area its a good idea to have one inside.

Good luck.

Best scenario is insurance plus a safe.

Snapshot101

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 20, 2012 08:14 |  #41

JPepus wrote in post #15231924 (external link)
I don't necessarily agree. If I have say $30,000 in camera gear, I'm not going to buy a $30,000 safe. Why? Because insurance for that much is cheaper and will replace it all.

+1 whether you have a safe or not, insurance is still a prudent purchase. I also have a Craftsman locking tool cabinet, with the wheels removed and bolted to the wall, mostly for organization of my gear, but also for security. While a locking tool cabinet is no match for a good safe, I recognize the average thief is looking for quick grab and run. To get at my gear will require quite a bit more time and effort to the average thief. I also carry insurance and my home has a central monitored alarm system.

Best, Bruce

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 20, 2012 14:14 |  #42

rick_reno wrote in post #15240647 (external link)
My attorney has one of these under his house, he had it built when he built the house. He collects machine guns and from what he told me they're worth a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if he had the contractor lobotomized who built this room for him.

A machine gun toting attorney in Idaho.....who would have thought. :)

I'm with the insurance plan, but keep my back-up photos on a hard drive which is stored in my gun safe.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

Strnge
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 20, 2012 21:09 |  #43

Lincoln 35

MIKE

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 21, 2012 03:51 |  #44

rick_reno wrote in post #15240647 (external link)

Pre 86 NFA tax stamp items with the fun switch or belt fed are very very good investments, as there are only just a hand full that can be had with out getting you your class 3 Dealers license.

Yes a good gun safe is a great place to keep you extra gear, this is assuming you have the spare space in there not occupied with firearms where do you think I keep the bulk of my valuables???? ;)

sponsored links

13,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gun safe to store camera gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.