Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Jan 2005 (Thursday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Photography Books

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 14, 2012 10:18 |  #376

vickylou wrote in post #14421554 (external link)
So which guide for the 60D?
Charlotte Lowrie?
David Busch?
Dummies guide?
Snap shots to great shots?

Ive had my 60D for about 9 months and am slowly learning but its not just knowing where the functions are but how and when to use them I would like.

I've got the david busch guide for the 7d and like his style as i would be in a similar manor to the 60D guide. thats the one i would recommend!

the other books i haven't really any experience with but I've been really happy with how informative Busch has been.

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

sponsored links
Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2012 14:35 |  #377

DesertBlooms wrote in post #13713452 (external link)
I just recently picked up and am almost finished reading "Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look at Creating Stronger Images" by David duChemin. I highly recommend it, it's already changed the way I look at making photos. I'm a very visual learner and really like the last section of the book, where he takes 20 of his photos and breaks them down, using the concepts and terminology discussed in earlier chapters. The author has a few other titles I'll be checking out in the future.

I've just been given a link to this thread....and while the "how-to" books belong in my past (where I read them voraciously!) I totally agree with you about David du Chemin....and recommend him to anyone who has learned enough to take up the challenges he puts in front of us.

His work is different from most other writers that I have found, and I find myself reading him just for the pleasure of taking in his "philosophy" if that is the right expression.

Growing old disgracefully!

Onkyoman
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2012

May 31, 2012 18:05 |  #378

Just got a 1100D with 18-55mm IS II lens today as a beginner no absolutely nothing about photography just wondered if the following book was best to get?:

Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D Digital Field Guide (Digital Field Guides) (Paperback)
Charlotte K. Lowrie

Any other recommendations? Appreciate all your help.

Canon EOS 1100D 18-55mm IS II lens - absolute beginner!

MRagon
953 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 01, 2012 16:44 |  #379

Onkyoman wrote in post #14513193 (external link)
Just got a 1100D with 18-55mm IS II lens today as a beginner no absolutely nothing about photography just wondered if the following book was best to get?:

Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D Digital Field Guide (Digital Field Guides) (Paperback)
Charlotte K. Lowrie

Any other recommendations? Appreciate all your help.

I still maintain that Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is the best book for a beginner. It's not camera specific to tell you what dial to turn on your camera but it tells you WHY you might want to change the settings in the first place. If you need instruction beyond the manual for how to operate the controls then I'd also get a Dummies type of book specific to your camera. I'm not familiar with the specific one you have mentioned, though. And as a beginner I felt the Dummies book for my T1i was what the manual should have been. The manual is pretty useless to a true beginner.

I just went to amazon and looked at the field guide you mentioned. It does look similar to the Dummies book I talked about. Looks like it tells you how to change the settings and what that will do. Looks good to me but consider Peterson's book in addition to one like this. He lays the whole process out in such a easy-to-understand way. Good luck to you!

Canon 7D | Canon G12 | 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 |17-55mm f2.8 IS | 24-105mm f4L IS USM | 70-200 f4L IS | Ʃ 30 f1.4 | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.8 | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II | LumoPro LP 160

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 01, 2012 16:50 |  #380

MRagon wrote in post #14517766 (external link)
I still maintain that Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is the best book for a beginner. It's not camera specific to tell you what dial to turn on your camera but it tells you WHY you might want to change the settings in the first place. If you need instruction beyond the manual for how to operate the controls then I'd also get a Dummies type of book specific to your camera. I'm not familiar with the specific one you have mentioned, though. And as a beginner I felt the Dummies book for my T1i was what the manual should have been. The manual is pretty useless to a true beginner.

I just went to amazon and looked at the field guide you mentioned. It does look similar to the Dummies book I talked about. Looks like it tells you how to change the settings and what that will do. Looks good to me but consider Peterson's book in addition to one like this. He lays the whole process out in such a easy-to-understand way. Good luck to you!

Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" was the BEST book I could have read as a noob, also with a T3 (1100D) it teaches the basics in a very easy to understand way.

gregm1999
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 08, 2012 21:08 as a reply to  @ post 453088 |  #381

I dont know if its still available but The joy of Photography from kodak gave me a lot of information many years ago, especially good information on dof, it was written back in the film days but a lot of the book is still relevant, sadly I dont know where my book disappeared to

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,120 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 05, 2012 03:38 |  #382

I"m rather academically inclined and have read all or parts of a lot of photography books. After I learned the basics, however, I really didn't feel like they helped much. But...I just got Elliott Erwitt's "Personal Best". It doesn't have any "how to" stuff at all. Not a word. In fact, except for the first 3 pages there are no words in the whole thing. It's a phone-book sized book of black and white photos. He's been a pro shooter for about 60 years. There are lots of pictures of Kennedy and Monroe and stuff like that, but it's mostly just street photography and dogs, and ironic juxtaposition and such. A lot of it is laugh out loud funny. Other pictures are horrifying (a proud mother standing outside of a white supremacist meeting with a baby dressed in full Klan regalia) It's incredible. Go to your local library and have a look. Talk about getting lots of ideas and inspiration! Wow.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

orangepictures
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 10, 2012 16:40 |  #383

Lots of great books here, thank you!

www.partyphotography.o​rg (external link)

jdm_cain
43 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 12, 2012 19:04 |  #384

Thanks, great suggestions

tina214
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 04, 2012 10:12 |  #385

Reading Galen Rowell’s Inner Game of Outdoor Photography ... Love this book... You'll learn a lot..

Just_CHill
290 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 23, 2012 16:11 |  #386

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #14517778 (external link)
Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" was the BEST book I could have read as a noob, also with a T3 (1100D) it teaches the basics in a very easy to understand way.

Just bought this book today and it is awesome so far. Being a noob and a hands-on person, the explanations and exercises are very helpful!

Canon 1D MkIII | Canon 600D | Canon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Canon 60mm f/2.8 | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS
Flickr (external link)
The shirt says "More Bass"

leeleeRT
103 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2012 21:33 |  #387

The Moment it Clicks - by Joe McNally

And excellent book I saw wasn't on the list when I searched the thread. There are some great anecdotes about times he almost didn't get the shot, or had to do some quick thinking. Its helpful to know the big time pros dont always walk into a location and have everything go smoothly. Especially helpful for me when I was just starting out.

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" - Ansel Adams
"Models make the best photographers" - Tyra Banks
www.focusure.com (external link)
5DM2/15mmfish2.8/70-200mm2.8IS/50mm1.2/105​mm2.8macro/16-35mm2.8/24-105mm4.0/etc, etc - cert. gear junkie

The ­ Littlest ­ Hobo
20 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 01, 2013 04:34 |  #388

Can I be awkward and ask if there are any recommendations to someone who uses their ipad as a book. I have looked for a lot of the recommendations but can't seem to find them. The books in the iTunes library range from free to £15 and there doesn't seem to be much in it. Would like to treat myself to something but don't want a waste

Thanks for any help

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 20, 2013 11:22 |  #389

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #14429367 (external link)
I've got the david busch guide for the 7d and like his style as i would be in a similar manor to the 60D guide. thats the one i would recommend!

the other books i haven't really any experience with but I've been really happy with how informative Busch has been.

I read Busch's guide for the 7D cover to cover before even getting the camera. It's a nice, easy read.
Considering getting his Digital Field Guide for the 7D as well, just to keep as a reference in the gear bag.

On my way to get "Understanding Exposure", thanks to the recommendation of POTNers

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2013 16:53 |  #390

Corbeau wrote in post #15511823 (external link)
I read Busch's guide for the 7D cover to cover before even getting the camera. It's a nice, easy read.
Considering getting his Digital Field Guide for the 7D as well, just to keep as a reference in the gear bag.

On my way to get "Understanding Exposure", thanks to the recommendation of POTNers

Busch does put out some very useful books, definitely recommended for those starting out with DSLRs or moving up to a new level (like the 7D)!

As to "Understanding Exposure", make sure you get the "Third Edition". He started when he was shooting film, and then in the Second Edition he "mentions" some digital stuff, but was "behind the digital curve". The Third Edition is much better as far as digital (or so I've been told).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

281,107 views & 7 likes for this thread
Photography Books
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.