Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 30 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stupid Spectators

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,392 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2012 12:30 |  #16

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14926949 (external link)
Let Darwin Work... ;)

That is exactly what I was thinking, too. :cool:

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

sponsored links
biodan
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2012 20:16 |  #17

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14951083 (external link)
If you thought that spectator was bad....

http://www.wreckedmaga​zine.com …during-tandem-oops-video/ (external link)

Near the end of the video, another guy hops onto the track too. Looks like there are no real barriers separating spectators from the track. This seems to be common for many drifting and rally courses.

When i lived in the SF BayArea, i shot races at Sears Pt and Laguna Seca - both had concrete barriers & fences with cutouts. For the few times when i shot credentialed for a website, i was able to get between the fences and concrete barriers (e.g. T2 or the Corkscrew at Laguna). But corner workers always kept an eye on the photogs to make sure you stayed behind the concrete- otherwise, your odds of being credentialed in the future were slim.

Canon: 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III,
600mm F4 version2, 300 f2.8 IS, 100-400 f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 24 T/S II, 90 T/S, 16-35 f2.8 II, 1.4x III ...
M4/3: OM EM-1, 20 f1.7, 14 f2.5, 12-40 f2.8, 25 f1.4, 7-14 f4

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 07, 2012 20:54 |  #18

got that guy beat
http://www.youtube.com …er_embedded&v=j​kP1Hml36XM (external link)

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 12, 2012 21:58 |  #19

bigVinnie wrote in post #14950216 (external link)
I cropped out the jersey barrier. There is a dirt area, exit road to pits, more dirt and then the fence I'm standing behind. I seriously doubt there was much danger from my vantage point.

You seem to be standing in the area I usually do when I'm shooting at The Ridge. And I have seen some dumb things at that track. I watched some guy stand right next to the track halfway down the "corkscrew" there, on the outside of the corner. The whole time the corner workers were yelling at him. Then he walked down the hill to the front straight and tried to cross the track, with a corner worker grabbing his jacket to hold him back. Later, when I confronted him, he told me he didn't hear anyone yelling at him because the batteries in his hearing aids were dead. Why the heck would you be that close to a track with non-functioning hearing aids?

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses
http://veritasimageryn​w.smugmug.com/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/VeritasImageryNW?ref​=hlexternal link

bigVinnie
THREAD ­ STARTER
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 13, 2012 09:13 |  #20

I'm going to be out there today. Should be interesting to see how things go with the rain. If you come out look for me. Big guy, green jacket, yellow safety vest, usually shoot with a monopod and white lens :)

From the paddock there really only is one spot to shoot from and it gets kinda crowded sometimes. Depending on who is running the track I can generally shoot from the flag stations. Station 13 is my favorite because of the various angles it provides. Downside is I am stuck there until the track is shutdown. On school days after lunch they run each group and then shut down to bring students up to the observation area. That time after lunch is the best opportunity but usually the worst light.

Tradeoffs.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 13, 2012 10:41 |  #21

bigVinnie wrote in post #15116735 (external link)
I'm going to be out there today. Should be interesting to see how things go with the rain. If you come out look for me. Big guy, green jacket, yellow safety vest, usually shoot with a monopod and white lens :)

From the paddock there really only is one spot to shoot from and it gets kinda crowded sometimes. Depending on who is running the track I can generally shoot from the flag stations. Station 13 is my favorite because of the various angles it provides. Downside is I am stuck there until the track is shutdown. On school days after lunch they run each group and then shut down to bring students up to the observation area. That time after lunch is the best opportunity but usually the worst light.

Tradeoffs.

Yeah, not sure if I will trek down in the rain. I shot the first Ducati Bellevue track day and it was pouring and miserable. Plus, there isn't much lean angle with the bike guys in the rain. Cars might be more interesting.

I've shot from the outside of turn 12, which is okay, but I had to build a stand using quartered logs (just happened to be laying there) so that I could get a good angle over the jersey barrier. I am looking forward to when they do get the infield area set-up for spectators better and put in the photog nests they were telling me about. For now, at least with the bikes, that outside of turn 15 seems to provide good shots. And when I can get my "white lens" then that will allow me to get the shots looking up the "corkscrew" to turn 13.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,686 posts
Gallery: 499 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 15, 2012 07:48 |  #22

I can't believe that ANY track would allow ANYONE inside the barriers, pro or hack...for me, I try to make sure I am not in line with runoff areas even outside the barrier and tire walls...my safety is my number one priority, if it has to be compromised to get a shot...I won't get the shot.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

FrayAdjacent
196 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 16, 2012 03:40 |  #23

Common sense is so rare, it should be considered a Super Power!

Fray: a usually disorderly or protracted fight, struggle, or dispute
Adjacent: not distant, immediately preceding or following
Canon 7D gripped | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC HSM Macro | Canon 50mm f1/8 II

jdm_cain
43 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 12, 2012 19:06 |  #24

LOL...

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,686 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2013 08:07 |  #25

forget the spectators...how about stupid photogs with a press pass...shooting with no protection...in a spot where he could be in danger if two cars mix it up a little...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 28, 2013 08:43 |  #26

Can't get the shots he gets from the safety of the stands....

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,686 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2013 08:46 |  #27

Elfstop wrote in post #15875152 (external link)
Can't get the shots he gets from the safety of the stands....

Really? That mentality will get us all in trouble...you can get that shot with the barrier in front of you...I have done it. No shot is worth compromising my safety.

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 28, 2013 09:03 |  #28

TRhoads wrote in post #15875161 (external link)
Really? That mentality will get us all in trouble...you can get that shot with the barrier in front of you...I have done it. No shot is worth compromising my safety.

Never said you could not get that shot from behind the barrier.. and his "mentality" is to risk his life for a nice shot... something that photographers have been doing for years. If "getting us all in trouble" you mean if someone gets hurt we will be banned from taking photos in dangerous places then...no we won't.

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 28, 2013 10:36 |  #29

Elfstop wrote in post #15875191 (external link)
If "getting us all in trouble" you mean if someone gets hurt we will be banned from taking photos in dangerous places then...no we won't.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. As lawsuits become more prevalent and insurance rates climb it's a very good possibility. As a matter of fact I've heard of a couple small, west coast, tracks that have hired their own "exclusive" photog and banned all others precisely for the reason mentioned. Some photog got hurt and sued. Track lost money and closed access to photographers. Remember, even winning a lawsuit costs money.

Kevin

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,686 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2013 10:39 |  #30

^exactly...I shoot Road Atlanta a lot...rule 1 has aleays been to keep a barrier between you and the track...blatant disregard for the tracks rules could result in limited access...

sponsored links

13,370 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stupid Spectators
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.